• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive or Not?

Stretch32

I'm new to this board so if this isn't the right board for this question let me know.

I'm trying to determine how competitive I am for Naval Aviation. I know there are several factors that make up the final determination but maybe somebody here can shed some light on it for me. Basically, I had a low college GPA and I know thats going to be very detrimental but here are my stats:

ASTB: 52,7,6 and 7 (not positive on the last) These scores are about 5yrs old.

PRT:60 pu, 65 su, 12min run

College GPA 2.25, Degree in Business

Recomendations: 1 Commander, 5 Captains and 1 Admiral (All current or former Naval Avaitors) Plus 2 work references.

300hrs total flight time, Commercial Pilot with Instrument Rating

Basically I was told that my ASTB scores are "competitive" and that good recomendations would help to offset the GPA. Additionally, I tried for OCS during College so my ASTB scores are old. I'm now 26 so I'm on a tight schedule to get everything together. Luckily my B-day is in Dec. I have no prior service but I've been flying in general avaition since about 18-19yrs old. I worked 2 jobs to put myself through school, a large factor in poor GPA (my sob story, life happens). I'm curently studying to retake the ASTB but the recruiter said to submit the Package as is and then if need be retake the test.

If anybody can provide info on how competitve/non-competitive I might be that would be great. Just trying to get ideas to get this done. Thanks in advance.

Stretch

Donnybrooker

pilot
Your GPA isn't going to help, but you've got a lot of other things going for you. Your OAR might be a little low. You can take it up to 3 times. You might consider retaking it. With the exception of those two things, I think you have a great application package.

The only way to know for sure is if you apply. Let the board decide if you're competitive or not.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the scores are 5 years old you will need to test again. You will need to do better to of set your age and GPA given today's competitive market. Good luck.

Banks

Study like mad for the ASTB and smoke the test. Use your aviation knowledge to set yourself apart. With that much flight time you have a huge advantage. Raise some eyebrows with some 9's.

Stretch32

Sounds good. The recruiter said to send the package in as is? If they reject it then take the ASTB again. Anybody feel this is a good idea? Also, I found the ASTB gouges and have been reviewing but I honestly haven't opened a math or science book in 5yrs so I'm very rusty. Any other suggestions for a crash refresher (algebra, geometry books?) in this test beside the gouges? I know I need to do very well to get selected. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions so far.

Stretch

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds good. The recruiter said to send the package in as is? If they reject it then take the ASTB again. Anybody feel this is a good idea? Also, I found the ASTB gouges and have been reviewing but I honestly haven't opened a math or science book in 5yrs so I'm very rusty. Any other suggestions for a crash refresher (algebra, geometry books?) in this test beside the gouges? I know I need to do very well to get selected. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions so far.

Stretch
I am pretty darn certain that astb scores are only good for two years. Maybe it has changed. I don't go into the office until later this week or I would look it up for you. You might want to ask very specifically, "Are you sure my scores are still good? How long are they good for?" Maybe the civilian processor has been around longer (usually the case). Ask the processor for a second opinion.

Stretch32

Wink,

The Recruiter himself is the one who said my scores were valid so I'm not sure. I've been told your scores are valid for life after you take it but I don't really know. It may have only been 4 yrs since taking it but I'm sure its no less. I've tried to get in touch with him but haven't heard from him in a week and I'm becoming annoyed. I plan on retaking the ASTB if need be but like you say, if the scores aren't valid then I WILL have to take it for sure. I'll see if I can get some answers if this guy will call me back. Thanks again for the help.

Stretch