• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive on Second Application?

ARene

I have been reading through various posts trying to find some insight and while I've found some valuable help, I still have some questions.

A little about me:
Age 29, Female
Bachelors in Education GPA 3.4
Masters in Education GPA 3.9
Five years teaching experience
OAR score 54
Applying to IW
I am on my second application. I have been told by many that the Navy likes to see you reapply to see if you're truly committed, is this true?

My recruiter has expressed a lot of faith in me and he strongly believes that I should be selected. I am concerned however given my age, my degree and my test score. I've already been to MEPS and passed with flying colors, I believe I have some very strong references, I also recently ran a marathon.

Any feedback you might give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Nothing really sticks out when it comes to the boards. Unless your active duty or have prior enlisted IW experience, STEM majors is the name of the game when it comes to getting selected. Hate to say it but it's gonna be a uphill battle getting PROREC'd.

Also, what have you improved between the first attempt applying and this time?

ARene

The biggest improvement I've had is completing a marathon (had not run that distance before) and I have added references. I did retest, but got the same score despite much studying (ugh).

Is there anything that I can do or should pursue to help my application? I realize that my degree is not one of the preferred degrees and I've been afraid that might hurt my chances. I've asked my recruiter if there are any additional programs I should apply for but he said due to age and degree I was very limited.

Thanks again.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The biggest improvement I've had is completing a marathon (had not run that distance before) and I have added references. I did retest, but got the same score despite much studying (ugh).

Is there anything that I can do or should pursue to help my application? I realize that my degree is not one of the preferred degrees and I've been afraid that might hurt my chances. I've asked my recruiter if there are any additional programs I should apply for but he said due to age and degree I was very limited.

Thanks again.

Your recruiter is right. While I'm sure running a marathon was a big personal achievement it won't really demonstrate to the boards why you should be selected. Your biggest shot is, if possible, to find a senior IW officer who can do a professional interview.

exNavyOffRec

I would agree with RUFIO you will have an uphill battle especially without a tech degree.

The USN doesn't care if you apply once or ten times, it comes down to "best qualified".

To be blunt if you were one of my candidates I would tell you everything you need to do, then wait for you to come back to me with everything done, I would need to spend more time on those with a better chance of being selected.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My $0.02 is that you should earn IW-relevant professional certifications. I don't know which ones the IWC values most for 1810's. A list exists. Ask around.

exNavyOffRec

My $0.02 is that you should earn IW-relevant professional certifications. I don't know which ones the IWC values most for 1810's. A list exists. Ask around.

for OCS applicants (non prior) the biggest thing is relevant degree and GPA, seen individuals with math degree and 3.5 get picked up over a CS degree that was just over 3.0

DCO is completely different and certs are big deal for DCO

Hair Warrior

Contributor
for OCS applicants (non prior) the biggest thing is relevant degree and GPA, seen individuals with math degree and 3.5 get picked up over a CS degree that was just over 3.0

DCO is completely different and certs are big deal for DCO
Understood and agree, sir.

I was proposing ways for her to demonstrate an aptitude for cyber/ technology/ engineering without starting another bachelor's degree (in STEM) from scratch.

To the original poster - Why Navy? Why IW? Why now? Is your heart set on IW officer? Are you considering any other designators?

Last edited: