• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compare Navy OCS to USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by D_mac05

And yes, at Navy OCS, we hit taps at 22:00, and you never get the full 7 scheduled hours of sleep.

I went to USMC OCS, and we had taps at 2200, and also never had the full 7 hours of sleep. Counting firewatch, studying, writing essays, preparing for inspection and writing letters, I averaged around 4 1/2 and 5 hours of sleep a night. That was 2 summers ago, so they may have changed it, but I would be surprised.

That's the main difference that I see between the two.

Also, at Navy OCS you guys had dorm rooms. We had open squad bays.

We run 3-mile individual runs 1 or 2 times per week.

Was that all you did for PT? Or was there formation runs on the other days? We ran 6 days a week. For the first 5 weeks it was "go fasters" and PT gear anywhere from 3-5 miles, and then from week 6-10 it was boots and utes, sometimes rifle and 782 gear for about the same distances. Almost all runs were done in formation, only when we ran for time and on two other occassions was it "individual effort".

Also, you guys don't get the pleasure of going on humps, do you?

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
There's some obvious comparisons that need to be stated...

When you have to run 3.0 miles vs 1.5 on a test that means your train for about 6 mi vs. 3-4 to up your time, beforehand...

Second pullups are harder than pushups...

Third, if you can't do a 100 situps in 2 minutes you won't be going to Marine OCS...because everyone should be able to get 100.

Just by looking at PT alone its probably safe to say that Marine OCS is harder than Navy OCS...harder preparation/PT = harder OCS...I wouldn't want to be at Navy OCS for that xtra 3 weeks, but that's so you can do weapons training and stuff that Marines would take care of at TBS, right. SEE enlisted Marines do 13 weeks also.

Just to clear things up, I don't think that Navy OCS needs to be as hard as Marine OCS...outside instilling basic discipline the OCS should reflect what can be expected in the course of regular duty...how many cities do the Navy capture and occupy with ground forces....NONE. How many miles do you need to run on an aircraft carrier/ship deck...NOT VERY MANY.

Marines are the tip of the spear and are equipped to perform all the duties the other three branches do. To be the flexible, multi role, hard hitting troops that Marines are they very best must be taken from those who apply. Therefore the preparation, perseverance, and abuse Marine OC's endure help to cull out the weak.

The Navy probably tends to select more on the 'brainy' side because they don't need iron men sitting on the bridge...vs. Marines who have to not only be smart but be in damn good shape physically and mentally.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I don't have much time to argue my point right now, because it is 1.5 hours before taps, and I have MANY things to do here at Navy OCS. To answer one of your questions, we run 5 times per week. Thursdays and Sundays are PT stand-downs (aside from mashings that classes get of course). The PT here isn't very rigorous at all. We still do pull-ups, many formation runs, push-ups, etc. Like I said, the PT isn't too strenuous (although you'd be surprised on how many injuries OCS causes). On the other hand, I find Navy OCS to be very mentally challenging. It is definately a mental game here, and the Marine Drill Instructors do a very good job on playing that mental game with you. We find them to be great instructors in every aspect of our training, but as always, they stress you out (its their job). It just amazes me how much they can break us down, then build us to where they want us. I can tell you that it certainly was a rude awakening to discipline and paying attention to the small things. "Don't sweat the small stuff" doesn't cut it here. I'm sure it relates as well in the Marine OCS as well...that's our Sister service.

D

NavyOCS

navy OCS vs. Marine OCS?

I read in another thread that Navy OCS is ALOT different than the Marine OCS. Just out of curiosity, what are the main differences? Doesnt the Navy use Marine DI`s for their OCS? My guess would be the degree of physical activity, specifically running, but what else?

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
The whole environment is different, when comparing OCS. I spent quite a bit of time around the Navy OCS grounds and thought it was entirely different from my experience at Marine OCS. You won't just have to worry about assuming the role of a Platoon Commander while at USMC OCS. Your ability to demonstrate leadership amongst your peers (with confidence) will carry you through the evolution. Physical fitness is a given; it's what you'd expect from a Marine. The evaluation process stretches beyond that, and looks more so at your potential to lead. Just do a "nut check" before you go and you should be just fine. Besides, there's more than enough information on this website to aid you in your pursuit, that specifically references experiences from both the Navy and Marine Corps. Unless, of course, you're trying to start a fight?

NavyOCS

LOL. Not trying to start a fight. I was just wondering out of my own curious nature. What kinds of things can you do in PLC to make yourself look like you can lead and want to as well as show how motivated you are?

Killer2

TRONS!
None
007 wanna "stand out" MOVE with a purpose, speed, and intensity. When your are in the role of the follower then follow, and lead when giving the role of a leader. Learn from the mistakes of others and your mistakes as well. Don't screw the billet holders above you because the roles will reverse. Most important is Attention to Detail.

OOH RAH KILL

HBMOR...Have you gone to Officer Candidates School with the United States Marine Corps? or Navy OCS for that matter? I am sure that you haven't attended both, so you thus have no true means to compare, just as I don't because I have never attended Navy OCS...I am just wondering where you acquired such UNPROVEN AND MORE THAN LIKELY FALSE knowledge?

usanavypilot

Since I did go to Navy OCS, and compared info with someone who went to MC OCS, I just told you what I got out of the conversation. That's it...what I said could or could not be true, take it as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.