• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioned!! - Done Deal!

Charlie M

Charlie,
I commissioned back in October so let me give you some advice.
1. Gather up the social security cards and original birth certificates for you, your spouse and any childeren. You will need them!
2. It may take up to 90 days to get you into the system for pay so be patient.
3. Buy your khakis now. Money is so tight with the Navy that any type 1 uniforms that you may be expecting to get issued may never come.
4. Get to DCOIC school as soon as possible. Again, money is tight and the classes fill fast. Learn about NROWS and get some help putting in orders.
5. As an officer, get used to paying for a lot of stuff out of your own pocket.

Mitehre, Copy all, thanks for the heads up. I'm headed to Norfolk this weekend to make some purchases, there isn't a whole lot of options in Camp Lejuene for Navy Officer Uniforms. I got in contact with the NOSC to get some feedback on prospective dates for DCOIC. My CAC is my concern given that it is the key to access a lot of areas, hopefully this process doesn't take too long. I want to get myself and family enrolled in DEERs ASAP so thanks for the heads up on that. Please keep the good input coming.

Regards,
Charlie M

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
All,

It’s officially done! I just commissioned into the USNR as of last Thursday and uniforms have been purchased/fitted, with everything going on, this was my first chance to post and let everyone know.

I’ll still lurk around this forum since it was one of my best resources through the commissioning process. In addition, I met a few awesome people along the way that I intend to keep in touch with indefinitely.

I wish everyone the best in their efforts and if there is anything I can help out with or answer, let me know.

Wouldn't mind seeing what a successful motivation statement looked like...

Devil Duck

Charlie,
3. Buy your khakis now. Money is so tight with the Navy that any type 1 uniforms that you may be expecting to get issued may never come.
Officers are not, and will not be issued NWU Type I; this working uniform is an individual requirement. Possibly you meant NWU Type III which is an organizational uniform. If your unit drills in Type IIIs they Navy will either issue the uniform to you, or you will drill in the Type I uniform. Black boots are authorized for wear with the Type III; would not be surprised to see the USNR not issue the brown/tan boots. Recommend not buying a lot of uniforms until DCOIC. While they look great hanging in the closet, there is no real need. I wore khakis to drill for the first year, then blueberries for part of year two. Wore the issued DCU/NWU III most of year two and all of year three.

Charlie,
5. As an officer, get used to paying for a lot of stuff out of your own pocket.
Look, it's what you signed up for - get used to it. Get used to putting in a lot of time outside of drill as well. If you mobilize expect to work extraordinarily long days as well.