• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coming at it from this angle

echowhiskey

Tenax Propositi
Good evening all, I've been a long time lurker (~2 years) and finally decided to make a post of questions I've conjured up over that time period.

Here's a little info on me:

Junior at the University of Florida with 1.5 years left until I graduate
Currently Interning for a Circuit Court Judge on the 14th Judicial Circuit
Lots of various work experience since age 15/squeaky clean record.
Major: Anthropology
GPA: If I keep at it like I have been, I'll graduate with a 3.5-7. Just depends

Senior year of Highschool I decided to apply for the NROTC Scholarship as a Marine Option. Since a young age I've wanted to serve in the military and I love aviation. Plus, I was a Squadron Commander in JROTC in Highschool, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Went through the whole application process...even volunteered while not working, and PT'd with those at the DEP until I left for school.

Come Spring I get a call from the recruiter and find out I recieved the NROTC full ride scholarship.

I really wanted to accept it, and seal my fate as Marine Officer and possibly Marine Aviator. My parents had other plans...long story short, and I also understood/respected their concerns. We aren't a military family and they did not want me to get "locked in" in case I change my mind. So I respectfully declined the scholarship.

I've had many different experiences since then, and I always seem to come back to the military as what I see myself doing.

My questions:

1. Will not accepting my NROTC scholarship hinder me in any way from applying to OCS? I hope I didn't let my "chance" slip through my fingers
2. How deep do they look into your transcripts from college. I have a good GPA, but for example, freshman year I dropped Chem1...so it shows up as a W on my transcript. Just making sure this wasn't some black mark on my record.

Regards and Thank You.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
2. How deep do they look into your transcripts from college. I have a good GPA, but for example, freshman year I dropped Chem1...so it shows up as a W on my transcript. Just making sure this wasn't some black mark on my record.

Regards and Thank You.

I cannot give you a solid answer on your first question, but I had a similar situation with my college transcripts. My freshman year I had three W's on it and there was no issue when applying. I did indirectly mention the reasoning behind it in my motivational statement but did not focus on it more than that. Like I said, no issues. Good luck!

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
I wouldn't worry to much about the withdrawal I have several as well. I actually printed off my unofficial transcript and handed it to my recruiting officer, he looked through it said if you have a reason for them that's great, but the board wouldn't go through them as thoroughly as he just did. He said there are bigger(more important) and better things for them to look at. Focus on GPA which yours outstanding by the way, ASTB, LOR's. Just make your package shine else where, and carry on!

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
1. I had accepted an NROTC scholarship out of high school and subsequently withdrew from the University completely my freshman year. I had some personal things going on at the time then I got squared away and put it behind me. I picked up SNA my first look at the OCS board. You may not have the same experience but my recruiter hardly even dug into it and it was almost a non-factor when I applied so my semi-educated opinion is that you'll be fine.
2. I don't see this being an issue. GPA is the main thing they seem to be concerned with when it comes to transcripts.

*I'm not a recruiter so I'm not privy to the process at all so someone more educated on it may be able to offer more insight, but my personal experience says it shouldn't be a significant issue for you.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I was told withdrawing is fine as long as it is reasonable. It can reflect responsibility and maturity in many cases. The board gets mad with the guy who was too tactless to withdraw and took the D or F more than anything.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not accepting the NROTC offer is not a big deal. If you can work it into your motivational statement that would be helpful.

exNavyOffRec

1. Will not accepting my NROTC scholarship hinder me in any way from applying to OCS? I hope I didn't let my "chance" slip through my fingers

Regards and Thank You.

address those issues with meaningful thoughts and reasons to show the board you are not trying to pretend it didn't happen, that is the best thing you can do.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
There were a few guys in my OCS class who left ROTC, one guy who even got into the academy but went to regular college instead, and a guy in the class behind me who left USAFA after a semester or two. There is also a female here who failed marine OCS due to injuries from the long humps. A few of these folks were prior enlisted which may have helped them, but I wouldn't worry too much about your ROTC stuff.

echowhiskey

Tenax Propositi
There were a few guys in my OCS class who left ROTC, one guy who even got into the academy but went to regular college instead, and a guy in the class behind me who left USAFA after a semester or two. There is also a female here who failed marine OCS due to injuries from the long humps. A few of these folks were prior enlisted which may have helped them, but I wouldn't worry too much about your ROTC stuff.

Thanks!

echowhiskey

Tenax Propositi
Update:

One more question regarding extracurriculars...I'm involved in some various activities around campus, the Navy just wants to see I'm well rounded with school and other activities right?

Curing cancer in my spare time isn't looking too promising.