• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Combat Time . . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
Can confirm. Have green ink for shuttling our admiral up to KAOT (oil terminal) in Iraqi Territorial Waters.
Ain't that some shit. I spent 11mo of my life flying all sorts of people to KAOT and other points in the Gulf and never logged a single bit of green ink. But of course this checks out with what we in 26.1 heard from the HSL guys who were logging green ink flying through the same air we were and HS guys logging green ink in the Stbd D in the CVOAs.

Watching HS guys do PMC in to BAH was always amusing. They'd roll in with hellfires on the rails, guns out the door, full buckets and then park next to our slick BlkII 60Ss. Not sure who was being sillier; us or them.

hscs

pilot
They'd roll in with hellfires on the rails, guns out the door, full buckets and then park next to our slick BlkII 60Ss. Not sure who was being sillier; us or them.
Not sure I would criticize.

1) they may have been told to do as such. You couldn't in a block 2.

2) combat mentality is just as much required in the maintenance dept. you don't want the AOs scratching their heads on how to install buckets or not even know if the gear is working.

isshinwhat

None
If anyone's got a direct line to SECDEF, Hunter's Air Force Cross needs to be upgraded...

“We had to get him in there,” Hunter said. “He was going to die out there if we didn’t get him in there.”

Hunter then alerted Spooky 43 that they were taking fire from the east and the enemy was closing in.

Typically, the Spooky shoots the 105mm fragmentation airburst round in open terrain, hundreds of meters away from friendly forces. But that night, it fired a shell that cut down the Taliban about 9 or 10 meters from the ground team ― and knocked Hunter “stupid for about 30 seconds.”

“If white had a taste ― that’s what [the detonation] was” like, Hunter said. “It was super-loud, super-bright, super-violent immediately. And the ground hit me. Like, I was laying on the ground, and I got lifted up off the ground, and then” ― Hunter clapped his hands ― “the shock wave of the ground hit me. It was amazing.”

Hall said Hunter had his microphone keyed the whole time, and the gunship heard the overpowering detonation in the background.

“My noggin was pretty rattled, as you may imagine, so I went deaf for a little bit and kind of numb all over,” Hunter said. “I had no idea what just happened. That was like the fifth or sixth explosion within 10 meters of me that night that I had taken, so I was pretty tweaked out.”

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2017/08/13/everything-was-on-fire/

isshinwhat

None
No joke. Hope they've tested him for a TBI with the number of rounds that fell within 20 meters that night, not counting the grenades the Muj lobbed their way.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Two other things regarding unmanned fighters in a war with a peer or near-peer (or in some cases, even lower than that): first, it's difficult to imagine a situation where any of these types of threats can't significantly undermine any technical advantages a UAV might have, especially because command and control is a glaring and unavoidable Achilles heel. Second, people always get hung up on the fact that these systems avoid putting pilots in harm's way. That's a nice thought but I just don't buy that it's a major concern in that type of conflict. We've gotten used to a world where we can execute an air war with no combat losses, but that's not realistic going up against any sophisticated adversary. In that situation, it doesn't make sense to send an unmanned aircraft unless it can do the job as well or better than the manned alternative - if mission failure means the loss of a ship or enemy bombs falling on friendly ground forces, pilot survivability is nothing more than a nice-to-have.