• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Combat Time . . . .

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
What happened to the big screens behind the Hooters girl and mad dog? Ric Flair was right there like a minute ago!

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Fuck yeah!

Big watches!

Hooters girls dig big watches!

Pictured below...railroad grade [circa 1910] Illinois A. Lincoln, 18 size, 21 jewels in Dueber Railway Silverine case...

View attachment 17040 View attachment 17038 View attachment 17041 View attachment 17039 View attachment 17044 View attachment 17042

like-a-watch-that-goes-on-your-wrist-instead-of-your-pocket-well.jpg

fitting picture for you...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days, it's the opposite. AF fighter and exped VAQ people rack up missions (and Strike/Flight Air Medals) like crazy like you describe. Us schmucks on Das Boot got/get multi-hour multi-tanker transits to/from the AOR back to Mom.

That isn't new and isn't even close to what the Army help guys were able to rack up in Vietnam, Chuck Yeager even mentioned it in his bio.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That isn't new and isn't even close to what the Army help guys were able to rack up in Vietnam, Chuck Yeager even mentioned it in his bio.
No, it's not new since 2001. It's just funny that it's basically the opposite of what Cat is describing from the Vietnam era, i.e. land-based aircraft having long treks, and carrier people logging 1.0-2.0.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
All I know is that ever since WW-II and probably even in WW-I, combat missions were quantified by number of missions flown. The bombing flights ate up hours, but after 25 missions, you were done...if still alive.
In more recent times, I see missions are now often quantified by "combat hours" rather than "combat missions." I can only suspect this is an Air Force adjustment, due to they distance and time to target in recent strikes.
My total combat "hours" pale to theirs despite my many combat missions in the most hostile skies since WW-II. All I had to do was launch off the carrier, go feet dry for 15 minutes blowing up SAM sites and oil refineries, and returning to a ready deck in less than an hour... if I was lucky.
If we were getting shot at regularly, and facing the same dangers that were faced then, I bet we would still use number of missions flown. Flying combat sorties for me wasn't much more dangerous than training at home.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Back when I was an admin officer processing S/F Air Medals there was a point system:

2 points for a strike (ordnance delivery opposed)

1 point for a flight (ordnance delivery unopposed)

0.4 points for a mission (CAP, recon, patrol unless opposition than credited as either strike or flight)

2 points per 25 hours

You could not use hours if the sortie was credited as a mission.

Any combination of 20 points equaled a S/F Air Medal.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Back when I was an admin officer processing S/F Air Medals there was a point system:

0.4 points for a mission (CAP, recon, patrol unless opposition than credited as either strike or flight)

2 points per 25 hours

S/F varies a bit over time....at the end of OEF, one mission was some fraction of a point for doing nothing, to IIRC a point or two if you employed (uncommon). Beginning of OIR was one point/flight, 2 for employment. The bigger disconnect between FWD deployed and CVN is in the campaign medal criteria. Pretty easy for every admin dork in the AF to get one just by spending a month there, where the CVW folks need to spend something like 30 consecutive days in country, or 60 total or something like that. Or you can employ and qualify. In a non-shooting war like OEF, a full deployment in a VFA squadron often did not qualify one to wear the service medal.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

2 points per 25 hours

For the USAF fighter community (at least as of the last time I deployed in 2011), an O1 sortie is 1 point. A combat support mission is 0.5.

20 points is an Air Medal submission. 10 points for an Aerial Achievement Medal.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
What happened to the big screens behind the Hooters girl and mad dog? Ric Flair was right there like a minute ago!
Heck if I know!

But look...is that Ric Flair [Nature Boy!] on the right in the pic below wearing two big ass Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatches at Dunkin' Donuts?

IMG_5871.JPG

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
S/F varies a bit over time....at the end of OEF, one mission was some fraction of a point for doing nothing, to IIRC a point or two if you employed (uncommon). Beginning of OIR was one point/flight, 2 for employment. The bigger disconnect between FWD deployed and CVN is in the campaign medal criteria. Pretty easy for every admin dork in the AF to get one just by spending a month there, where the CVW folks need to spend something like 30 consecutive days in country, or 60 total or something like that. Or you can employ and qualify. In a non-shooting war like OEF, a full deployment in a VFA squadron often did not qualify one to wear the service medal.

Still a thing on OIR, minus the "VFA not dropping" part. I felt bad for the VAQ guys who were doing good work and got the same medal as I did for briefing them in CVIC / the same medal as CSSN Schmuckatelli for burning their grilled cheese at midrats.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

2 points per 25 hours

Pretty sure the math is still the same, since when I flew out of Djibouti we were counting hours because our flight profiles made it faster to get to 20 points than by mission. 3 months I got to 14 points.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
Pretty sure the math is still the same, since when I flew out of Djibouti we were counting hours because our flight profiles made it faster to get to 20 points than by mission. 3 months I got to 14 points.

It's been 5 yrs since my OEF deployment during my USAF exchange, but I don't think the scoring has changed. Every sortie there had its own mission # and counted as 1 pt except for FCF. There were some days where a patient transfer would turn into two or three, and a full day could yield as many as 4-5 S/F points. (Not like any of these medals mean anything for officers anyway except having to pay more to get your medals mounted)

As for the Aerial Achievement Medal, it sounds like a joke to us Navy folks, but a few of the flight engineers and gunners I knew actually tried to get them vs S/F Air Medals to help for advancement. I guess only the first few of each medal counts for advancement points, and the rest get ignored by the calculation. In a world where dudes are getting Bronze Stars for just being there and not necessarily ever leaving the base/FOB, every point can add up and make them more competitive for advancement. And for what it's worth, the Aerial Achievement Medal still sits higher on the ribbon rack than a Comm…

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Still a thing on OIR, minus the "VFA not dropping" part. I felt bad for the VAQ guys who were doing good work and got the same medal as I did for briefing them in CVIC / the same medal as CSSN Schmuckatelli for burning their grilled cheese at midrats.

If you are talking campaign medals, don't think you (assuming Intel) or CSSN rate one, unless there is some caveat for intel support for a strike that goes kinetic. I could be wrong, and I did OIR before it was called that so we had no real Stan (or even a campaign name) if you will, but in OEF you wouldn't have based afloat. I know various CAGs over time have broad brush awarded people campaign medals, but the fine print doesn't support that.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
If you don't drop you shouldn't rate a S/F medal. Fuck this trophy/snowflake bs. Unless you're dropping bombs you should just be happy to be there.