• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Color Deficiency Questions

mnvelasquez

Howdy,

My name is Matthew and I'm about halfway through the first semester of my sophomore year in college. I'm currently a midshipman in an NROTC unit and am trying to get more information from someone who can help. I was very recently granted a waiver from DODMERB regarding being color-deficient after failing the Ishihara 14 plate test during my initial DODMERB exams. I later was able to take a Waggoner Computerized Color Vision Test (CCVT) on base and that helped me to get the waiver. I'm wondering how big of an issue this will be later in flight school and if pursuing aviation is something I should keep chasing. I was told there's an "ask a flight surgeon" section on these forums but couldn't find it, does such a thing exist?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

exNavyOffRec

If the Waggoner came back as mild that is a good sign.

U.S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide Ophthalmology - 5
3. Computerized Color Vision Tests (CCVT) may be either used as a primary test of color
vision, or may be used as a backup test for PIP or FALANT failures.
Computerized Tests (validated and approved):
a. Waggoner CCVT: A score of “normal” or “mild” color vision deficiency in red,
green or blue is acceptable for aviation. Tested binocularly (both eyes open).
May test monocularly for isolating and tracking acquired color vision defects.
Both desktop and tablet versions are acceptable.