• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Colleges and Majors

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
FSU, physics, yes.

three steps to success:
1. go where you want, study what you want, have fun
2. ????
3. success

DavidC

Graduated from Florida Institute of Technology's College of Aeronautics in 2007. Majored in Aeronautics. Great professors, great flight training, no girls though.

Major in something that will be helpful in a civilian job just in case your military goals don't work out.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Boat School, aka Canoe U, aka the Naval Academy, BS in aerospace engineering in 2006.

Was it worth is? Sure. I had a blast. I don't think I missed out by not going to a regular college. The opportunities I had at the academy were priceless. How many other schools get to actually launch a satellite into space?

Viashino684

Final Select SNA
Michigan State University With a B.S. in anthropology.

Most well known mascot, #1 ranked anthropology department nationwide and more #1 degree programs than michigan (suck it wolverines), I never had a dull moment and graduated with a degree and decent gpa. The campus is gorgeous, and somewhat easy to navigate. Making friends only requires you to open your dorm room door during welcome week.

Cons: Full blown anti-social asians who run from americans at all possibilities on campus when you try to say hi or interact with them. Dorms are shitty and the cafe food is even worse. Crappy football team. very large entry class sizes (400-600+). Some professors aren't too helpful or cant barely speak english.

I could go on for days but, I loved this university and my mind set no where else. Some love it, Some hate it. You gotta find the one that fits you.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Boat School, aka Canoe U, aka the Naval Academy, BS in aerospace engineering in 2006.

Anyway, I'm a senior ("Firstie") at the Naval Academy

I'm a senior at the Virginia Military Institute

I'm pretty sure that you guys don't get to participate in college threads...

Mostly because after high school you spent four years in a prison with books. :icon_wink

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Graduated from Florida Institute of Technology's College of Aeronautics in 2007. Majored in Aeronautics. Great professors, great flight training, no girls though.

Major in something that will be helpful in a civilian job just in case your military goals don't work out.

So why did you do Aeronautics? Most of my pilot major friends are working retail or in grad school. ;)

Just sayin'....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Was it worth is? Sure. I had a blast. I don't think I missed out by not going to a regular college. The opportunities I had at the academy were priceless. How many other schools get to actually launch a satellite into space?

Caltech and MIT?

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Ask yourself what you are good at, where you have an opportunity to study with the best in your field, where you can get scholarships/grants or a free ride, and how much you are willing to compromise your true interests for money. (Remember, people who compromise too much have to self-medicate more than most.)

Apply to 8-10 schools, then decide.

(Oh, and remember that a degree in philosophy or literature qualifies you to preach barefoot in the streets.)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
SUNY Albany, BS in biology.

I'd go to Albany if I had to do it over again. However, I would not major in biology.

You should pursue something that is interesting to you, but you should also keep in mind where the job market is headed. I majored in biology because I was trying to pursue medicine...only problem is that I had no interest in pursuing a biology-related career (eg, research or teaching) if that fell through -- and it did. Any old bachelor's degree qualifies one to apply to medical school, so I should've majored in something that was more marketable to a career I'd be interested in. I then learned why most college grads start out making less than $35k/year doing a job that an 8th grader could do.

If your ultimate goal is to become a Naval officer, then it really won't matter what degree you have.

NYIsles

If your ultimate goal is to become a Naval officer, then it really won't matter what degree you have.

That's what I'm trying to convince my parents of. Anyway, the main reason I started this thread is that I'm looking for potential majors. I love Calculus, History and Oceanography, and I honestly dont know where that leads me. Nothing really interests me more than the other, that i know of so far.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
That's what I'm trying to convince my parents of. Anyway, the main reason I started this thread is that I'm looking for potential majors. I love Calculus, History and Oceanography, and I honestly dont know where that leads me. Nothing really interests me more than the other, that i know of so far.

My $.02 would be applied math and try to get into some oceanography research at some point. History you can learn about without a degree, just have to do some reading...math you kind of need those classes to motivate you to get through the work, and it's nice to have an instructor explain difficult concepts if you ever get stuck.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
My $.02 would be applied math and try to get into some oceanography research at some point. History you can learn about without a degree, just have to do some reading...math you kind of need those classes to motivate you to get through the work, and it's nice to have an instructor explain difficult concepts if you ever get stuck.

I've gotta defend majoring in History.

Yes and no. I originally thought that and started out as a Classics major, thinking I'd minor in History for fun. But then I took a few really great History classes on events and phenomena that I'd never known existed. Also being a History major teaches you how to think and deal with information in a very different way than a technical major.

Study what you want in college, not what you think will be useful. I went to a school with a core curriculum, so I had to take math and science AND Epicurian philosophy. If you go to school without a core make sure you take a few classes that are not even in the same division as your field. And if you're smart, you'll find a way to make ANY major work for what you want to do.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1

Went to Vanderbilt, majored in history and economics, loved it, would do it all over again, would love to get a masters in those fields if that's where my life takes me. I can't tell you how many times someone's asked me what my major was, and then asks, "And that relates to naval aviation how?" In the end, I don't care. I loved my major, my job is awesome, that's all that matters.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Oregon State University, BS in Biology.

I loved the school and the town but hated the major. The risk you run as a Biology major is that all of the other students think you are Pre-something (Med, Dental, PA, etc, etc) which therefore makes you competition. Not only that, they are so worried about getting into said medical pathway schools that all they do is study, study, study and have no life. Of course studying is important, but you also need to take a night off to hang with friends. So, if you choose Biology I would suggest you let people know that you are NOT pre-anything so they will help you study without sabotaging you and that you hang out with people in other less demanding majors.