• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything should be free.

Edit: You might have to cough up a few bucks for unit activities but it's no more than a few hundred a year.

Bredoteau

Go Cal
Thanks, I was getting worried after reading about people paying an arm and a leg for uniforms.

I actually just read another one of your posts and it turns out your from Cornell. That's awesome! I was almost a coin toss away from going there, but in the end Berkeley won out for me.

Really?

Heard a rumor Berkeley mids don't wear their uniforms on campus...please enlighten us when you get there on that matter, we're all very interested.

And I'll be perfectly honest...if like most people you have a strong dislike of seeing the ground covered in snow for 5 straight months, getting blasted by an icy spray from a nearby waterfall 3 mornings of every week, and pulling all nighters, you made the right choice. Cornell has serious quality of life issues they need to work on.

Have fun in sunny UCBerk

myoun023

Cornell's really not that bad of a school, a lot of my family lives fairly close to the campus...it's always been my dream school at least.

Vegita 1220...
Was it hard to activate your scholarship there? I had a friend who got into Penn State and George Washington and the Navy wouldnt cover the cost of tuition for him.

Err...I wouldn't know personally.

Every other 4C is on scholarship though, and I'm not yet b/c of reasons beyond my control-or so I'd like to think. ;)

Bredoteau

Go Cal
I've never heard anything about mids not wearing uniforms on campus. Although, I'm sure they get plenty of dirty looks, considering the very anti-war atmosphere. I'll find out for sure when I go up for orientation.

There is a lot to like about Cornell. Everyone I talked to who went there had positive opinions of it. What turned me away were its weather, its cost, and its location. I'm from sunny SoCal, so Cornell is about as far away and as different a climate as it gets.

Lastly, regarding the scholarship activation... I don't know about Penn, but there shouldn't be a problem having the navy pay tuition at GWU. The GWU nrotc site highlights the scholarship program quite a bit, so it's hard to imagine that the navy wouldn't pay for GWU's midshipmen ...just my observation.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
GWU does pay for tuition, because i was trying to get into their program through UMCP. don't worry, navy WILL pay up to a certain amount of tuition, even if the tuition is outrageous (i don't know about rensselaer though, for their tuition's like 55k per year including room and board ( :eek: ).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you get a scholarship to Penn State, the Navy will definitely cover the full cost of tuition, even out-of-state. (unless something's changed in the last year) I got commissioned on a 3-year ROTC scholarship there. However, I think there's an upper limit to what the Navy will pay. I don't know the details but I met some ROTC Ensigns down here from Carnegie-Mellon who said something to that effect. But don't quote me on that last part.

And the only time we ditched our uniforms during my tenure was right after the September 11th attacks. Yes, you will find the occasional ultra-liberal barking moonbat who think's you're a baby-killer-in-training. Every unit has stories about them. But that's definitely the minority. At my college graduation I got a thank-you from a random old guy who turned out to have been a crewman on a WWII LST. Talk about an honor.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oops. Didn't realize you were talking about Berkeley with the uniform question . . . :tapedshut

Bredoteau

Go Cal
That is suprising what you said about ditching uniforms after September 11th. I would have guessed that people would have been their most accepting right afterwards. Shows what I know, lol.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the people probably would have been more accepting, but we were at a very high threatcon at the time, too. As an example, I was assistant webmaster at the time and I remember getting ordered to take our midshipman phone book off our website, as it wasn't secured at the time. Remember how freaked out everyone was then.

RXSilver

if you were to transfer to a school from a community college, could you become a 2 year college programmer? or would you have to get into NROTC by scholarship only?

C. Program has an advanced standing program, where you get all your gear books, etc. and you get paid a stipend like the scholarship kids but no tuition.

However, you will still get commissioned at the end of the program.

Some other people mentioned stories of ppl doing college program for ONE year and getting commissioned, I don't know how true those are, but it sounded like special circumstances were involved.

RXSilver

vegita1220 said:
C. Program has an advanced standing program, where you get all your gear books, etc. and you get paid a stipend like the scholarship kids but no tuition.

However, you will still get commissioned at the end of the program.

Some other people mentioned stories of ppl doing college program for ONE year and getting commissioned, I don't know how true those are, but it sounded like special circumstances were involved.

so thats a yes on transfering from a community college and becoming a 2 year college programmer?

its certainly a possibility, but no guarantees on the likelihood though.

All I know is if it goes through you're set to get commissioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.