• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Simply put, I screwed around in my early years of college. Thankfully I woke up, but I've already done some serious damage to my GPA, seeing that I'm a senior now and graduating in December. I really want to be a marine pilot however. Once I realized this was possible (THANK YOU PRK!!) I woke up and am now getting straight A's. However my GPA is still going to be below 3.0 when I graduate. Will this rule me out of obtaining a pilot slot regardless of my physical fitness and ASTB scores?

farkle84

you have to have above a 2.5 for the Marine Corps to apply for an aviation slot. my suggestion is to keep up your grades, take the ASTB test, do well and go to OCS.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Correct me if I'm wrong but someone got an aviation slot on here with a 2.2 gpa. Not saying that's the norm but it's possible.

Peace,

-Spin

klostman

the happy dance!
Spin, your probably referring to me and it was 2.33, get it right. lol. Anyways, I like wildflyin' screwed around my first two years. Now I have to bust my butt off trying to catch up and bring my GPA up. I may achieve 3.0 by the time I graduate. In any case, it can be done, but a lot must be done to offset the grades.

utrico

Applying for OCS
When I talked to my Marine recruiter he told me that the minimum was a 2.0. He did not seem to care at all that I only have a 2.5 since I majored in Aerospace Engineering and did well on the ASTB. To me it seems that the Navy puts more weight on grades than the Marines do.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Thanks guys, I'm feeling a bit better than I was before. My mistakes, my consequences, but damn if I'm not going to do everthing right to make this happen.

boobytrapper

I have a similar problem; I slacked off in my first two semesters at my JC. I made up for it a little by getting a 4.0 last semester but my cum GPA is only 3.12.

My question is this, when a student transfers his credits from a JC to a University, does the University only count the credits and not the GPA? Or would the GPA from the junior college be averaged with the GPA from the University?

I geuss what I'm asking is will the slate be wiped clean when I transfer?

NuSnake

at my university the credits transfer but the GPA does not. So no worries, go ahead and move on over to a big school and kick a$$ with grades and youll be fine

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

squatrrs

While that may be true the Marines and any service looks at your cumulative gpa from all colleges attended. I did the same as all of you. Screwed around and then had to pay the price!

NuSnake

well my first year of screwing around didnt hurt my application so take it how you want...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

jaerose

That's true for the individual university, but for the branch of the military (I'm Navy) they include all grades from every enrollment in college in order to determine your GPA.
I actually did okay when I had to miss a bunch of classes while at DePauw U. (46% attendance) as a BIO/ChEM major (2.6-something), but it still hurts my GPA even though I'm still over 3.0 total, and even though I'll probably graduate with honors at the U. of Indianapolis as a Physics major/Math minor (something like 3.46).
Even though I'm in a tough subject with a respectable GPA, I still had to wait a semester to apply for the program so my cumulative GPA from BOTH schools was high enough to qualify. That was 2 years ago. I started in the CASH program with the intentions of switching. I'll essentially have gotten paid for 3 years of school as I graduate this May from a combo of CASH/BDCP. After commissioning, I'll also be maxed out at the O-1 paygrade (3+ years). Not too shabby!
Anyway, after my longwinded reply...the point is that it can be difficult, but if you work hard enough you'll probably be able to pull it off. Take it from me...good ASTB scores will help you a lot, too. Good luck.

Originally posted by BDCPUAH
at my university the credits transfer but the GPA does not. So no worries, go ahead and move on over to a big school and kick a$$ with grades and youll be fine

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
After commissioning, I'll also be maxed out at the O-1 paygrade (3+ years). Not too shabby!

Just curious as to how this works out? Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Status
Not open for further replies.