• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college and flight school

Lanisem

wnna jam.
I know this post is about college majors and their direct affects of flight school, as in Primary. But everytime I see the post title, I think of "flight training while in college", as in training towards a PPL.

Instead of making a new post, I'll just ask here.

To what extent does a PPL or even just having some hrs. help you in Primary? I'm just wondering because at this point, I have 17hrs. in a Cessna 172, but it was waay back in high school. Even then, I believe that actually experiencing being in a cockpit and going through various maneuvers might help substantially in that you've actually experienced it before.. versus those that haven't flown at all prior.

Does the initial training program the Navy provides (the one with 25intro flight hours) actually help one do well in primary? How do those that have NO hours whatsoever fair against other SNA's with PPL's? Is the difference in their performance in the air significant? I ask because I realize that performance in primary, in addition to the Navy's needs, are big determining factors in platform selection, or which groups (helos, jets, props) one can attain.

Right now, I'm a BDCP hopeful and -I really want to do well in Primary if I'm ever blessed with that privelege. So what I really want to know in conjunction with above is- Is it worth it to use some of that BDCP money for additional flight training? Maybe to earn a PPL? I just want to make sure I can perform at my best later.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I know this post is about college majors and their direct affects of flight school, as in Primary. But everytime I see the post title, I think of "flight training while in college", as in training towards a PPL.

Instead of making a new post, I'll just ask here.

To what extent does a PPL or even just having some hrs. help you in Primary? I'm just wondering because at this point, I have 17hrs. in a Cessna 172, but it was waay back in high school. Even then, I believe that actually experiencing being in a cockpit and going through various maneuvers might help substantially in that you've actually experienced it before.. versus those that haven't flown at all prior.

Does the initial training program the Navy provides (the one with 25intro flight hours) actually help one do well in primary? How do those that have NO hours whatsoever fair against other SNA's with PPL's? Is the difference in their performance in the air significant? I ask because I realize that performance in primary, in addition to the Navy's needs, are big determining factors in platform selection, or which groups (helos, jets, props) one can attain.

Right now, I'm a BDCP hopeful and -I really want to do well in Primary if I'm ever blessed with that privelege. So what I really want to know in conjunction with above is- Is it worth it to use some of that BDCP money for additional flight training? Maybe to earn a PPL? I just want to make sure I can perform at my best later.

PPL = No IFS. That's pretty much the only benefit. You might have an advantage during the first few flights, but the program IS designed to teach everyone how to fly, so it will balance out.

Lanisem

wnna jam.
That's cool to know.. On that note.. I couldn't find a post about what Bdcp'ers have spent their money on.. I'm curious. I'd rather go to IFS plus... I've really been wanting a bike, maybe a GSX-R? :icon_tong

FlybyWired06

From all the posts you can probably tell that an AE major won't give you any amazing head start in Flight School. However, not alot of mention about grades and, correct me if I'm wrong, but grades matter somewhat when it comes time for selection. ;) So, first and foremost, pick something at which you believe you will do WELL. Usually that's something that interests you and you're motivated to pursue. Only you know what your tendencies are (better at math? better at writing?). Base your decision off that and you will do fine and be prepared for Flight School once it comes around.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

From what I've seen from a quite a few students, IFS doesn't do much for skill. You either have it or you don't. If you have it and have mucho flight time, you will do well. If you don't have it and have mucho flight time, you won't do well. If you have it and have no flight time, odds are, you will do well.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a point of diminishing returns with both your book-learning and flight training outside the military.

Sure, it helps to have some sort of background in engineering or sciences because the concepts won't be totally new to you, but that's as far as it goes. In fact, usually the aero studs wind up having a harder time in API than the Group 3 rocks, because they try to apply their years of education and wind up overthinking and overanalyzing. They're the ones that get an Aero II question wrong because they remembered some exception involving the space shuttle on re-entry or some damn thing. Your API classes have nothing to do with advanced aeronautics or deeper theory. Wings make the plane go up. Propellor goes roundy-roundy and makes the plane go. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. That's about as deep as it gets.

A heavy engineering/science background is handy if you want to some day go to TPS or become and astronaut or whatever, but for getting your wings? I was a History major, Mrs Fester majored in Music and minored in Hebraic Studies. We both got our wings.

For flight time, there comes a point where you're spending a lot of time unlearning bad habits. The purpose of the program isn't just to teach you how to fly, it's to teach you the Navy way (as opposed to the Right Way and the Wrong Way). It's good to have some prior time to teach you some of the basic stick and rudder skills and comfort with flying and procedures around the field, etc, but your on-wing isn't going to give a crap if "this is the way I've always done it" and it's different from the FTI.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
What about having instrument time or having an instrument rating? I've discussed the matter with a couple pilots, both agreed that having Instrument time would help. I'm going through a military flying club so I'm hoping that will minimize learning of bad habits (most of our instructors are prior Air Force and Navy Pilots).

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Can you think on your feet?
Can you compartmentalize?
Do you get airsick?
Do you handle pressure well?
Are you a dick?
Can you learn a relatively diverse load in information in a relatively short span of time?
Can you manage your time wisely? Can you manage your time wisely when your jet is on fire?
Do you drink beer?
What is the answer to this supposed to be? ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What about having instrument time or having an instrument rating? I've discussed the matter with a couple pilots, both agreed that having Instrument time would help. I'm going through a military flying club so I'm hoping that will minimize learning of bad habits (most of our instructors are prior Air Force and Navy Pilots).

Again, you either have it or you don't. If you have it and have your instrument rating, you will do well, probably better than most. I flew with a stud a few months back who had his rating and he didn't impress.

DeadCactus

I think the more you deal with flight surgeons, especially the couple of d-bags I've had the pleasure of working with as of late, you'll probably change your mind on the "glamour" of being a flight surgeon.

All of the above caveated with Doc "what the" formerly in the training command is worth his weight in gold verified by several other people besides me, absolutely priceless, a real pilots flight surgeon if their is such a thing.

A bit off-topic for this thread, but since it came up: What makes a bad FS and what makes a good one?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A bit off-topic for this thread, but since it came up: What makes a bad FS and what makes a good one?

IMO and to make it short, taking care of your people. Same goes with the front office. That doesn't mean the Doc or CO has to be a nice guy or easy to work with, just that they take care of their folks. Looking back, my best CO was one of the most difficult officers I've ever worked for. He chewed my ass on a weekly basis but he was honest and took care of his officers if you put forth effort in your flying and ground job. Flight Docs aren't in charge but they can take care of their folks. I've had 2 recent flight Docs that were just excellent at that. Top notch IMO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Political Science my friend (or Criminal Justice) - the path of least resistance. That is, of course, if you have any interest in either one of those (and you can handle the PolSci profs spilling their vile filth). Good luck to you, whichever way to go.

I agree. I don't want to have a major thats going to interfere with my partying time here on campus.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
All of the above caveated with Doc "what the" formerly in the training command is worth his weight in gold verified by several other people besides me, absolutely priceless, a real pilots flight surgeon if their is such a thing.

Yeah....
He was the flight surgeon you dream about having. Actually "gets" it. Zero overreaction, zero BS, actually concerned and is there to help. Amazing that it sounds like a pretty good job description, yet so rare to find.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
...so the time management and study habits I had to develop with an engineering major definately paid off in flight school.

And then you get to the squadrons and realize that the guys who had the skosh majors (poly sci, leisure studies, etc) actually have the biggest edge: They aren't socially inept, and "studied" how to have a good time a lot more. A VERY valuable trait learned from years of not studying.

:icon_wink

incubus852

pilot
bottom line: dont pick engineering unless you really like it. its not worth the workload, lack of "scenery" in your classes, etc.