• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Colitis

phrogpilot73

My funny UC story:

So while in Pendleton, I had to get a long form flight physical. FS tells me that mandatory prostate exams don't start until age 40, and says I can get dressed after the hernia check. After I get dressed, we start talking about family medical history. Not realizing that UC is hereditary - I tell him that my Dad has it. D'oh! "Moooooon River... You gonna use the whole hand doc?"

The gems that came out of that experience:

Doc: "This would be easier if you'd relax."
Me: "Doc, you've got your finger in my ass - it's kind of tough to relax."

Doc: "I'm willing to bet that you want a cigarette right about now."

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
I entered into this thread 'cause I thought it said 'coitus'. Imagine my disappointment.

That being said, don't let the "DQ'd" status get you down, if you really want to do this keep trying for the waiver. I've got my disqualification letter from NOMI (DODMERB) framed and hanging in my office next to my officer's sword and ten years worth of personal memorabilia...

Footeflyer

PhrogPilot...That's rough. I don't even understand how that would check for colitis unless he had unreasonably long fingers and thought he may just be able to reach your colon...

SH-60OB

pilot
I don't know the MEPS/NAMI tie in for entrance but my gut tells me that you are going to have to fight 2 battles. One to get in the door and a second to get approved by NAMI. Neither of these will be easy.

If I were in your position I would start with a little research

DoDI 6130.4
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/613004p.pdf

DoDD 6130.3
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/613003p.pdf

Particularly look at this section. Make sure your doctor can address each of the items below

3.3. To ensure that individuals under consideration for appointment, enlistment, or
induction into the United States Armed Forces are, as follows:
3.3.1. Free of contagious diseases that probably will endanger the health of
other personnel.
3.3.2. Free of medical conditions or physical defects that may require
excessive time lost from duty for necessary treatment or hospitalization or probably will
result in separation from the Service for medical unfitness.
3.3.3. Medically capable of satisfactorily completing required training.
3.3.4. Medically adaptable to the military environment without the necessity of
geographical area limitations.
3.3.5. Medically capable of performing duties without aggravation of existing
physical defects or medical conditions.​

Change 126 MANMED NAVMED P-117 Chapter 15
http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/ManMed/Manmed.htm

Particularly section 15-31. Again make sure your doc addresses the firts paragraph of this section. i.e. in spite of a diagnosis your current level of functioning and/or state of health warrants a waiver of standards.

also check out the academy forums. I googled dodmerb, waiver, issues and a bunch of them came up. I guarantee someone else has been in the same boat as you.

Then I would contact MEPS and see what the path forward is. With them wrongly stating that you are on a med you should have a little lee way.
I guarantee you are not the first person to ever need a waiver so someone there should at least be able to address the process part of it. at the very least they should be able to point you towards a POC. If possible have your doc engage directly with their person.

Footeflyer

Yeah, there will definitely be two battles, assuming I can overcome the first. Thanks a lot though, this is good information. I will probably print this stuff off and take right to the doctor with me.

phrogpilot73

PhrogPilot...That's rough. I don't even understand how that would check for colitis unless he had unreasonably long fingers and thought he may just be able to reach your colon...
The way he explained it was that he was checking for bleeding and an enlarged prostate in that guys with UC are more susceptible to prostate cancer.

Footeflyer

So, I submitted a waiver. It was consequently DISAPPROVED for history of chronic inflammatory bowel disease. Is this the end of the road for me? If not how can I fight it? It was explained to me that they look at this stuff on a case by case basis, but it appears from looking at the disqualification letter that there is nothing specific about my case involved, that rather its just a standard "He has ___ so we recommend ___". BTW this was for just trying to get through MEPS and the disqualification letter was from BUMED.

Footeflyer

So I took a break from fighting to get in and contemplated my options and what I really wanted to do. I have decide that this is still what I want to do so I called my GI doc up and scheduled another colonoscopy. It came back negative for all signs of colitis. Being that I have been off medication for more then a year and have been completely symptom free for the three years following my initial diagnosis, my doctor wrote me up a nice letter stating that in his opinion I do not have colitis. Along with the letter was all the supporting documentation. He believes I may have had some sort of colitis when I was initially diagnosed, but probably not IBD. He said that all his patients have needed medication in order to show a negative colonoscopy. Anyways, I sent this to my OSO who submitted it to BUMED, but BUMED sent back a disqualification letter. My OSO said they would not even entertain a resubmission and this letter was basically an auto response to my prevous inquiry. Basically they did not even look over my new documentation. My question is then, is there anything I can do about this? Is there a way to contact and actually speak to a doctor or THE doctor? If my doc is saying I do not have UC/Crohn's or whatever and they won't etertain a resubmission, what can I do? Thanks in advance for the responses.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Man, I have med waivers up the ass and had to fight like hell to get here, I say don't stop fighting it and get in contact win someone higher up. Don't worry about pissing off your oso or anyone else. Hopefully a doc on this site can get you some good contact info. Trust me, there are plenty of aviators on here that had to take alternate avenues
to get around the bs. Good luck.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
So I took a break from fighting to get in and contemplated my options and what I really wanted to do. I have decide that this is still what I want to do so I called my GI doc up and scheduled another colonoscopy. It came back negative for all signs of colitis. Being that I have been off medication for more then a year and have been completely symptom free for the three years following my initial diagnosis, my doctor wrote me up a nice letter stating that in his opinion I do not have colitis. Along with the letter was all the supporting documentation. He believes I may have had some sort of colitis when I was initially diagnosed, but probably not IBD. He said that all his patients have needed medication in order to show a negative colonoscopy. Anyways, I sent this to my OSO who submitted it to BUMED, but BUMED sent back a disqualification letter. My OSO said they would not even entertain a resubmission and this letter was basically an auto response to my prevous inquiry. Basically they did not even look over my new documentation. My question is then, is there anything I can do about this? Is there a way to contact and actually speak to a doctor or THE doctor? If my doc is saying I do not have UC/Crohn's or whatever and they won't etertain a resubmission, what can I do? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Look up the NOMI waiver guide, then look for either 'physical standards' or 'physical qualifications' then call that number. They will be able to give you some gouge. Do not give up.

Never mind; here it is: POC:
Physical Qualifications
220 Hovey Rd
attn : Code 342
Pensacola , FL 32508
850-452-2187 or 850-452-8645 (DSN 922)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
In aviation related issues, BUMED will often let NOMI take the lead....since NOMI must eventually approve all who apply for any spot within aviataion.