• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold run burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Does anyone else get the really bad burning sensation in their chest during and after a run in the cold? I usually run on the treadmill, but being home I did a run outside and it's about 50 degrees out there and wet. The air was so cold it was burning my lungs and chest. How do you combat this? Luckily OCS is in the summer for me, but it would be nice to be able to get over this so I can run anytime.

I have searched for this a number of different ways but only found people mentioning running in this cold, not this specific problem. If there are any threads about this, please point me in the right direction.

tiger84

LT
pilot
That's pretty normal and it even happens out here in Arizona sometimes. I doubt there's anything you can do besides dealing with it and finishing the run.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Does anyone else get the really bad burning sensation in their chest during and after a run in the cold? I usually run on the treadmill, but being home I did a run outside and it's about 50 degrees out there and wet. The air was so cold it was burning my lungs and chest. How do you combat this? Luckily OCS is in the summer for me, but it would be nice to be able to get over this so I can run anytime.

I have searched for this a number of different ways but only found people mentioning running in this cold, not this specific problem. If there are any threads about this, please point me in the right direction.

Its something that anyone would experience joboy. Many times its smarter to wait for better weather, especially if theres wind chill. Better to do that than risk getting some kind of respiratory infection like bronchitis, which would destroy your run time altogether and could last for a protracted period of time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty much every PRT I've run when stationed in the PNS area (as a student or now) has been when it's cold. It sucks. Then it's over.

Junior

pilot

You think 50 degrees is cold? Seriously dude, you started a thread because your lungs burned when you went for a run in the "cold"? Try asking a friend.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
I have searched for this a number of different ways but only found people mentioning running in this cold, not this specific problem.

Did you ever stop to think that no thread popped up because everyone else just sucks it up and deals with it? Seriously Joboy, thinking twice about something before posting may save you some flaming.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
uh....to everyone with an attitude...I sucked it up and finished my run. I didn't cry like I had a skinned knee and walk home.;)

What I was getting at was maybe a certain breathing pattern helps like breathing through the nose or something. I finished the run, it just sucked like everyone else concurred. I figured the bronchitis thing was a concern (not in 50 degrees) but after running in the cold u tend to cough up some crap, so I was just curious.

Forgive me. I'll continue sucking it up and moving on.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the thread is locked, but I can't help but add in another "you're a pussy". 50 degrees? Come on man, sack up. 50 degrees is warm. Try running when it's 20 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.