• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard Programs

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Not trying to jack you thread already...

But does anyone else find it interesting that there have been three Coast Guard transition threads since the Guardian was released?

I can't help but think that we are seeing the Top Gun effect at work.:D

Good luck! Sincerely...good to see the CG getting some well deserved public respect...and recruiting help.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
There are other Coasties who frequent this board (some sharp helo guys) who can answer better than I, but...

Both of those programs are looking at increasing the number of graduates from schools with at least 25% minority population; if your school doesn't have a student body that matches, you would not be eligible for those two programs. Blue 21 is for flight slots, CSPI is for regular OCS.

However, you can compete at OCS for a flight spot...and it is competitive. Things you can do to make you more competitive is get your pilot's license (or get going on it showing an interest in aviation), and take your aviation test prior to getting there if you can. It is easier to score well when you are well rested, than during the sleep deprivation experiment that is OCS.

And yeah, Scoober, I noticed the same thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not trying to jack you thread already...

But does anyone else find it interesting that there have been three Coast Guard transition threads since the Guardian was released?

I can't help but think that we are seeing the Top Gun effect at work.:D

Good luck! Sincerely...good to see the CG getting some well deserved public respect...and recruiting help.

In all fairness, the other two threads were around for some time before the movie...not to mention some other threads that not everyone gets to see. Muhahahaha.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
not to mention some other threads that not everyone gets to see. Muhahahaha.10-07-2006 05:28 PM

I feel suddenly not welcome...:watching_

Kinda what I miss about rep...at least people could tell you they thought you were an idiot...:D

STARFlight145

Yes, being the helo nut that I am, I went and saw The Guardian the first day it came out. But no, that's not what initially sparked my interest in the USCG. I was looking at both programs before the movie came out, I just now happen to be posting about it.:icon_tong

I currently attend Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach and I'm looking to get outta here. Shoulda listened to the fellas around here who told me this college was way too expensive for what it's worth...guess I had to experience it first hand. Atleast I'll be transfering to another college with my private pilots liscence.

I'm lookin to transfer to a college with an NROTC program to keep my Navy options open and a college with 25+% minorities to keep my USCG options open.

I'd love to hear from any USCG Aviators regarding the subject matter. Thanks for the advice so far.

sardaddy

pilot
Sadly, I can't help you with the CSPI, Blue 21 programs I just don't know enough about them. But if you have any general questions I will give you my best shot.

sardaddy

pilot
You aren't going to like the answer but here it goes.

I fly HH-65 Dolphins. I never attended Naval Flight Training. The closest I came was landing my HH-65 at Whiting field for a dog and pony show for some flight school students. Sorry, I only know hearsay about the process and the training.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Likely SARDaddy was Direct Commision Aviator from Army?

I remember of all my CG buds , most had done a division officer type of tour before attending pilot training.

I think the name of the game for new accessions is to get in an officer program first, then apply for Aviator

sardaddy

pilot
Yes, I am a Direct Commissioned Aviator with a former life in the Army. There is a funny saying that plays off a popular bumper sticker. "U.S. Coast Guard, Army Aviation at its best."

I can pass some info, I just don't have the specifics on the process.

If you go through OCS you compete with your classmates to get a flight slot. Usually about 3-5 per class of 50. If you get a slot you go directly to flight school. If you don't you get to your unit, ship, whatever, then you can apply again and again and again. I have a friend who applied six times before he was finally accepted.

If you go to the Coast Guard Academy it is now basically the same. You can compete for a few available flight slots if you get them you go directly to flight school if not, you go to your ship or your unit and apply again and again.

If you get accepted to CSPI or Blue 21 (no idea how to get accepted into either one) then you are guaranteed flight school even before you graduate college.

good luck

STARFlight145

Is there some sorta competition to get a seat in an HH-60J? Is it the same in the Navy where if you graduate top in your Naval Flight School class, you get to choose your aircraft?