• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNN discovers the 4 fans of freedom

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a sneaking suspicion I know who wrote that letter, not surprised he would do it if it is who I think it is.

I still agree with Shane's decision but stupid shit like that ain't going the help his case. But hey, born to fly baby!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What a fucking idiot. And some of those who question his actions are neither Cold War vets, involved in a campaign, nor have a dog in his fight. We just think it was a lack of common sense.

flynsail

pilot
Mind blown. The unauthorized memo, his campaign releasing the memo, and his buddy thinking he could truly stay anonymous...is there a circus in town? This is entertaining!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I would love to see the public flogging this guy would get in the Navy Crimes for releasing this "memo."

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Mind blown. The unauthorized memo, his campaign releasing the memo, and his buddy thinking he could truly stay anonymous...is there a circus in town? This is entertaining!

I just noticed your avatar and couldn't stop laughing. Nice.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
What a fucking idiot. And some of those who question his actions are neither Cold War vets, involved in a campaign, nor have a dog in his fight. We just think it was a lack of common sense.
I've heard a minority of folks question his decision to land there - what's the conventional wisdom in the P-3 community?

As for throwing an anonymous memo out where it will get scrutinized and torn apart during a campaign...that is cray cray, as my teen daughter sez.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard a minority of folks question his decision to land there - what's the conventional wisdom in the P-3 community?

In the EP-3 community the vast majority of my peers (I left the squadron 4 months before the incident and was back in flight school at the time) agreed with the decision though there were a few notable exceptions, not sure what the current thinking is. From what I know the thinking is a little more mixed in the P-3/VP community, I know among TACAIR guys a lot think he made the wrong decision including one cited in the article though they often don't grasp how alone and unafraid VP/VQ guys often are when flying a mission.

Personally, there was nothing on the bird worth sacrificing a single crewmember and he took the least bad option knowing what he did at the time. Simple as that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it could turn out poorly for him if this story gains much more traction.

...his buddy thinking he could truly stay anonymous...
Not sure if big Navy could figure it out, or cares. When I saw it I immediately thought of one guy who would do it but who knows, I have been wrong before on a rare occasion.

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think he made the wrong decision. That may put me in the minority, but just one opinion among many.
Seeing what we have sacrificed human life for since then, I think it would have been a lot easier to sell the (possible) loss of a crew for national security than for some village in Afghanistan or an oil pipeline in Iraq...
Pickle