• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNAF/CNATRA Callsign Review Boards?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Since when is a WhatsApp private group chat social media? They weren’t disparaging them on the Shitty VFA-106 studs Facebook page. Kind of interested to see how the contents of a group text message made it into this investigation.
Sounds like the work of a crack NCIS investigative team...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since when is a WhatsApp private group chat social media? They weren’t disparaging them on the Shitty VFA-106 studs Facebook page. Kind of interested to see how the contents of a group text message made it into this investigation.
From what I’ve heard, one of the FRS instructors went to the press and/or investigators.

HuggyU2

None
Seems it wasn't an issue until these two guys were attrited. It seems the Navy is quickly catching up to the PC-culture of the USAF. Something like this used happen in the Navy 5-7 years after the AF. Now, it happens in less than a year.

Last year, the AF shit-canned the Wing Commander, a squadron commander, DO, and and one other leader at Laughlin, following a naming. A callsign was offered up for one of the women that wasn't received well by someone in attendance. To her credit, she didn't really care... the person that elevated it was a guy.

The fact they were doing namings with student pilots is just plain stupid. And having a senior leader in the room to witness it is also exceedingly stupid.

I don't recall the details from the media... here's an article on it. https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...ed-vulgar-call-sign-for-female-student-pilot/

I know plenty of people of Latino, Caucasian, and Asian decent that have callsigns that point to their ethnicity. They seem proud of it. Too bad these two guys couldn't enjoy the banter that binds a ready room.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I solved the problem. I expect royalties for this.

Nevermind, "What is your redneck leprechaun name?" probably will get me in trouble with both rednecks and leprechauns.

How about these:

What is your unicorn name?
View attachment 22102

Hmm, my unicorn name is really close to my actual callsign. Saved the board some time, but now I’m suspicious of my peers who came up with it....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Seems it wasn't an issue until these two guys were attrited. It seems the Navy is quickly catching up to the PC-culture of the USAF. Something like this used happen in the Navy 5-7 years after the AF. Now, it happens in less than a year.

Last year, the AF shit-canned the Wing Commander, a squadron commander, DO, and and one other leader at Laughlin, following a naming. A callsign was offered up for one of the women that wasn't received well by someone in attendance. To her credit, she didn't really care... the person that elevated it was a guy.

The fact they were doing namings with student pilots is just plain stupid. And having a senior leader in the room to witness it is also exceedingly stupid.

I don't recall the details from the media... here's an article on it. https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...ed-vulgar-call-sign-for-female-student-pilot/

I know plenty of people of Latino, Caucasian, and Asian decent that have callsigns that point to their ethnicity. They seem proud of it. Too bad these two guys couldn't enjoy the banter that binds a ready room.
Exactly. The callsigns were pretty tame. “Eight ball” perhaps as the exception unless there’s a story. If they really didn’t like them there’s an existing path. Instead it became an issue after they attrited because they sucked.

Now CNAF embarrasses naval aviation in general with this ludicrous callsign review idea. Good thing there aren’t more important things for the FRS to worry about besides creating a policy for minority specific reviews of unofficial RAG callsigns.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What is it about the eggplant that upsets you? Honest question, as I'm curious. Is it race related or name-calling related?
Nothing upsets me.

I'm just surprised that given the ultra/overly politically correct Navy culture we live in today that the instructors would even go anywhere near anything even remotely biased or racial sounding/looking/smelling, especially with African American students.

8 Ball
Radio
Eggplant
Snoop
MC

Common... Walking real close to that fine line if not on it...

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Exactly. The callsigns were pretty tame. “Eight ball” perhaps as the exception unless there’s a story. If they really didn’t like them there’s an existing path. Instead it became an issue after they attrited because they sucked.

It is extremely easy for them to argue that they didn't like them but were to afraid to say anything.

Like others have said, as ridiculous as that is, thats the power you give the individuals when you give them these call signs.

Like @bubblehead said it is surprising they even went there to begin with.

HuggyU2

None
In "Topgun", the black WSO was named "Sundown". Maybe Topgun should be banned from future showings, and all actors that obviously supported that callsign should be blacklisted from Hollywood. Kenny Loggins too.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Since when does the FRS give enough shits about CAT I's to set aside time to give them callsigns? That should be reserved for fleet squadrons to assign when people do stupid shit...

I think the VTJs do this too... I've always thought it was stupid. Worry about your callsign in the fleet.