• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
So the starter control valve is electronically held open. Sometimes the ground start relay would either prematurely deenergize or the centrifugal switch would fail to closed and we wouldn’t be able to start the engine. In order to not get stuck on the boat, we would have a maintainer climb on a ladder a couple of feet from the prop, insert a paper clip with a string tied to it into so that the starter control valve would stay open. Upon start, when we got to 60% we’d give the cut signal and the maintainer would pull on the string and the valve would close. That was our technique... many Air Bosses have watched in sheer disbelief.

This is the most COD thing I've ever heard. Not so much the ingenuity as much as the extreme desire to not spend an extra second on the boat. Props (pun intended-ish).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@kmac Again, think we’re talking past each other here. You’re talking about leaning on the VAW dudes while all your MX is on the shore vs being sea based with a skeleton crew on the beach. I hope you guys don’t have to give up an f’ing awesome deal, I’m just saying be prepared to continually justify it.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
@SynixMan

That's not it at all.... not once have I considered VAW.

Per 4630.12C, a COD det should get several maintenance spaces and a ready room. Often, they're given 2... the "ready room" and one maintenance control/line shack space. Some dets aren't even given space for their SASS, so they must keep them in the aircraft when doing a transit. I'm not making this up nor am I making a "woe is me" call for help. I'm simply talking about what actually happens.

It's already a challenge for a ~48 person COD det. When you've increased that to ~80 plus an additional aircraft, the likelihood of keeping them aboard ship is even lower. I'm not saying that it's impossible to do it; I'm saying that it's much much much more efficient operating from shore.

Most of the air wing has no clue about what happens on a daily basis ashore and there's no reason that they would. When the V-22 FBE was in its early stages of planning the emphasis from CNAF staff was on the stuff happening at the ship. Cosmo (V-22 FIT) and I spent quite a bit of effort shaping the analysis to focus more on a Det's shore activities. I'm glad we were able to do that because the folks at CNA and NAVAIR did an awesome job getting data for cargo handling, maintenance, mobility, etc. There were some eye opening moments when it became apparent how different this is going to be from C-2 operations.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
“Whoa is me”

LiveNeighboringKiskadee-max-1mb.gif

jmcquate

Contributor
Unless there is a clear operational/financial advantage, why move the CODs to the air-wings? If this made sense, it would have been done 30 years ago...........the wings fold on C-2s.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Unless there is a clear operational/financial advantage, why move the CODs to the air-wings? If this made sense, it would have been done 30 years ago...........the wings fold on C-2s.

What?!!! The COD dets are already part of the airwing.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the CMV-22s should be OPCON to the fleet directly. Boom! How's that?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I mean who else is going to vet our admin locations ahead of port calls? Weird how they always seem to get stuck on the ship the night of follies though...

It’s the one time we get to see the rest of the air wing happy on the boat!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
C713DB5A-1100-4199-8567-0C542E058DDE.jpeg My prediction- after the C-2 is gone this is how we will get replacement aircraft engines to the CVN