• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Curious what change/delta in number of sorties to a CVBG over a given period of time for C-2 vs CMV-22. I would imagine the CMV-22 folks are very busy and will be all they can do to keep the flow of supplies and people going to and from beach to CVN.

Does the CMV-22 concept of ops have the aircraft hitting a destination of other than a CVN or air capable amphib (e.g. large single or multi spot decks) ? Are the COD folks going from CVN to other smaller decks before returning to beach or doing inter-modal deck to deck to deck work on "PMC" runs? That level of activity would certainly leave little room for SAR ops.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting article (albeit from a semi-biased source). I don’t disagree that mission creep is likely going to be a thing, but I appreciate the bit about how even using it for the planned mission set will likely see demand and utilization grow as our CONOPS change, outpacing the small inventory. Doubtful that the number will change at all, though, without external pressure.

The mission creep idea was always coming from the folks that wanted to sell more Ospreys. Every year at Hook, the good folks at Boeing would point out all of the wonderful missions the Osprey could do that the C-2A could not. (And it’s humorous that the article claims this: “There isn’t much doubt that the Navy version of Osprey is a big improvement over the “carrier onboard delivery” planes it replaces.” Really? Two C-2As can carry more than 3 MV-22s in a 24 hour period and doesn’t have nearly the maintenance requirements of the latter.)

The problem is that the mission requirements were for COD only. That’s why the Navy examined what the actual logistics requirements are (both peacetime and wartime) and learned that 3 Ospreys could meet those requirements. This is the first time that I have heard the USMC recommended 4 per carrier air wing. I’m not sure who in the USMC was an expert on carrier logistics, but I’m curious as to who the source was for that.

Sure, it’s great to talk about what the aircraft can do… but does the Navy plan to spend the time and $ on the training requirements to become proficient and stay current on those additional missions?

ChuckMK23

pilot
"The CMV-22B, unlike the C-2A, is a fleet support asset, not simply a large deck carrier support asset. The fleet seen as mobile bases — for this is what seabases are — faces a significant future as part of a distributed joint force to shape congruent strike capability for enhanced lethality."

The Navy livery is awesome. I am super curious how the crew will employ the various sensors operationally...can the FLIR be used to conduct / fly an approach in low visibility/IMC ?

cmv-22-communications-node.jpg

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The Navy livery is awesome. I am super curious how the crew will employ the various sensors operationally...can the FLIR be used to conduct / fly an approach in low visibility/IMC ?
Probably not. Generally, IR is attenuated or blocked by the same gases/clouds that affect visible light. There is an "IR window" from 8 to 14 microns, but that is for haze, not full-on fog or low clouds. The 60B/H had a long-wave FLIR, but 60R/S have mid-wave. Is the CMV actually fielding with a FLIR?

If one wanted a self-contained approach for IMC recoveries, a radar is a better option.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Probably not. Generally, IR is attenuated or blocked by the same gases/clouds that affect visible light. There is an "IR window" from 8 to 14 microns, but that is for haze, not full-on fog or low clouds. The 60B/H had a long-wave FLIR, but 60R/S have mid-wave. Is the CMV actually fielding with a FLIR?

If one wanted a self-contained approach for IMC recoveries, a radar is a better option.
What are the two small clear "bulges" underside on the nose ? Sensors? Visible lights? Strobes? IR lights? And I assume the MX-15 looking thing is a FLIR/EO sensor for viewing on an MFD. - but what is the sensor on the port side of the nose?

hscs

pilot
"The CMV-22B, unlike the C-2A, is a fleet support asset, not simply a large deck carrier support asset. The fleet seen as mobile bases — for this is what seabases are — faces a significant future as part of a distributed joint force to shape congruent strike capability for enhanced lethality."

View attachment 37936
Not a good idea. A while back an HH60 mixed section with a Pave Low in a sand storm. Used FLIR to follow the Pave at a distance but the problem happened in the terminal environment- Pave used TFR to couple up and land. HH couldn’t see the field via FLIR but caught a glimpse of some taxiway lightning, wrapped it up and ended up tagging the stab. Wx was so bad it took 2-3 hours to find them on the field.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is the CMV actually fielding with a FLIR?

It's been a couple of months, but I don't think the ones at VRM-50 had them.

I'm not sure what the source of the quote or the picture is, but it seems like a render, or at least a photoshoped PR pic.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's been a couple of months, but I don't think the ones at VRM-50 had them.

I'm not sure what the source of the quote or the picture is, but it seems like a render, or at least a photoshoped PR pic.

Why wouldn’t it have a FLIR?

That’s factory-standard equipment for V-22s. You never know when it’ll come in handy.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It is a good looking aircraft…with a little photoshop work.

IMG_1351.jpeg