• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMC's Reading List

Status
Not open for further replies.

topher1235

I've started reading some of the titled books on the CMC's reading list for Lt's. Of the one's I have finished, the focus was platoon and company level (band of brother and pegasus bridge). I was interested in your experience/impression of the reading list. As an aspiring aviator how might the lessons be translated to squadron life and/or operation?

My interest is to broaden my understanding of the military before OCS and this seemed to be the most logical step. Sorry if I rambled a tad. Thanks as always.

Topher

O-man

two books tht Have been on the list- dont know if they still are- but I loved them- Fields of Fire by J. Web- and A Rumor of war by F. Caputo. Anyone else read those? there worth their weight in gold. I mean that ****.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
If y'all want a real good - warts and all - view of life in the fleet, I highly suggest "A Sense of Values: American Marines in an Uncertain World" by David Browne Wood. Blunt and accurate book by the author (a pacifist no less) who followed the 24th MEU in Somalia right before the Blackhawk Down incident.

dvl_dog_2531

I didn't care for Caputo's book, though I did enjoy Webb. I'm not sure if it is on the CMC list but "The Nightengale's Song" by Richard Timberg is an excellent read. Basically chronicles the lives and careers of various Iran/Contra people to include Webb, McFarland, Oliver North, John Poindexter, John McCain, and a few others.

Also check out "The Long Gray Line" about the West Point class of '66. This class suffered the greatest number of casualties of any USMA class ever. The book again follows the lives and careers of these men thru the acadamy, into Vietnam, and their post-war and in some cases post-military careers. Again, maybe not on the CMC list but excellent nonetheless.

O-man

Didnt like Caputo's book?! man- how come? Its a true story and he is a very well spoken wrighter. I loved it. who wrote the long gray line? AThat one sounds good- I wanna look into it. o-man

Status
Not open for further replies.