• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS responds to Rep. Gaetz

nodropinufaka

Why would we struggle without women or minorities?

A month or so ago you were arguing that China was gaining influence in the Pacific because of climate change. Somehow they were doing that despite being the largest emitter in the world and growing without any firm plans to slow down. And in spite of being incredibly non-diverse. How can that be?

I take it you have never worked security cooperation missions at CCMD level?

You absolutely need women and minorities for that.

Did you know OSD just spent a huge chunk of money on Women, Peace, and Security in order to address Gender Disparity in all the COCOMS and it is being integrated into planning?

How would you have a representative that isn’t a Woman?

The military is much larger then just maneuver warfare.

nodropinufaka

Unbelievable.

So if a college admissions board was able to count a point against you because of your skin color, you wouldn't see any problem with that? Or is it just ok because it's against white people and you aren't white?

what’s wrong with taking the whole person approach?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I take it you have never worked security cooperation missions at CCMD level?

You absolutely need women and minorities for that.

Did you know OSD just spent a huge chunk of money on Women, Peace, and Security in order to address Gender Disparity in all the COCOMS and it is being integrated into planning?

How would you have a representative that isn’t a Woman?

The military is much larger then just maneuver warfare.
You didn’t answer the question, as usual. Try again.

Mirage

pilot
what’s wrong with taking the whole person approach?
The whole person approach? Is that code for awarding points based on skin color?

You didn't answer my question, either.

Would you feel like it was racist if the board awarded you negative points because of your skin color? If so, then why is it not racism to do this to white people (and Asians, to be fair)?

nodropinufaka

Re-read my post. Then read it again. Then answer the question.
Do you want us to become China? And Gain our influence by just throwing out ridiculous sums of money to countries regardless of Leahy vetting?

or do you want to be America and gain influence the right way through diplomacy?

We need females and minorities for those missions. There is no way around that. You’re not going into another country to try to gain their trust and talk to them about their female enrollment in IMET if you’re own country has a lower percentage.

what kind of message is that going to send?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The whole person approach? Is that code for awarding points based on skin color?

Would you feel like it was racist if the board awarded you negative points because of your skin color? If so, then why is it not racism to do this to white people (and Asians, to be fair)?

Whole person approach, bro

nodropinufaka

But they don’t give negative points if you’re white?

the whole person approach is exactly how it sounds.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Do you want us to become China? And Gain our influence by just throwing out ridiculous sums of money to countries regardless of Leahy vetting?

or do you want to be America and gain influence the right way through diplomacy?

We need females and minorities for those missions. There is no way around that. You’re not going into another country to try to gain their trust and talk to them about their female enrollment in IMET if you’re own country has a lower percentage.

what kind of message is that going to send?

You argued that we were losing the battle for influence. So it seems that diversity isn’t terribly important if China is kicking our ass without it. That was your own argument.

Short

None
Does OSD ghetto-ize women by linking them explicitly with peace and security? Does security cooperation suffer when we partner with countries that view women as ill-suited for work outside the home and place women in significant roles? Do citizens of partner countries view ethnic minority Americans more or less favorably than white Americans?

nodropinufaka

You argued that we were losing the battle for influence. So it seems that diversity isn’t terribly important if China is kicking our ass without it. That was your own argument.
we are.

and China is doing it by giving out money to anyone who will take it and working in any field they can find.

do you want the United States to take that approach and hand over money to countries with no Leahy Vetting? Or no 5 year plan? Or just give money and loans to municipal agencies?

we aren’t China and I can’t believe you’re insinuating that you’d want us to take that approach.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Does OSD ghetto-ize women by linking them explicitly with peace and security? Does security cooperation suffer when we partner with countries that view women as ill-suited for work outside the home and place women in significant roles? Do citizens of partner countries view ethnic minority Americans more or less favorably than white Americans?

diVeRsiTy iS oUr StrEngTh

Treetop Flyer

pilot
we are.

and China is doing it by giving out money to anyone who will take it and working in any field they can find.

do you want the United States to take that approach and hand over money to countries with no Leahy Vetting? Or no 5 year plan? Or just give money and loans to municipal agencies?

we aren’t China and I can’t believe you’re insinuating that you’d want us to take that approach.

I’m just incredulous that they’re doing something that CAN’T BE DONE without diversity.

Also, WTF is this about money? You were adamant that China was winning influence because of climate change. What changed?

Short

None
I have no idea what the answer is, but think we should consider whether we are mirroring our own assumed values in the presumptions as to what will resonate with partner nations.