• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian ratings after Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av Fan

Have any of you guys that have finished Primary taken any of the FAA exams to get your civilian ratings?

Victory favors the bold

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't known anyone that took FAA equivalency exams during flight training. I always thought you had to be designated a naval avitor, ie winged, before they would issue a civilian ticket based on equivalency.

Av Fan

I thought as long as you had enough hours for instruments and took the FAA test, you could at least get that one out of the way.

Victory favors the bold

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
A piece of advice I got from the FAA guy that gave me my checkride for my Private Pilot's license:

Keep in close contact with the local FAA FSDO wherever you are, both during training and afterwards. There are many type ratings and endorsements you can get far above and beyond the normal Instrument/Commercial ratings if you keep them appraised of what you're up to. Go meet them and get to know them - there's no reason why you can't leave military service with an ATP certificate...it'll make you far more interesting to civilian employers.
-Anthony

Ummm...yeah

Kim

I've heard that you have to take these tests within 6 months of winging, is this true? Also, can you take the test anywhere, or is pensacola the best bet? If I can take the test anywhere is there any gouge out there for the test and who do I contact? Thanks for the info.

schmuckatelli

If you are in the HTs go to the HT-8 duty office. They used to have the phone number of the airport that does the testing on a bulletin board just inside the door. Just call them and sign up for a time and a spot in the gouge class. Total cost was about $170 when I did it - $100 for gouge session and $70 for actual test. If you wait too long after winging you will not get the airplane single engine land (for T-34; different if you go to Vance) sign-off because you need to have flown it within a year of taking the test. Also make sure your primary command stamped "Completed military checkout as pilot in command T-34C" or something to that effect in your logbook. If you don't have that stamp you won't get the ASEL sign off, only rotorcraft-helicopter. You don't have to be winged yet to take the test but it is a good idea to wait until after RI-18. If you take the test before winging you won't get your license until you send them a copy of your winging card or letter. What you will get out of the test (for helo bubbas) is a commercial pilot license for airplane-single engine land (if you did T-34s) and rotorcraft-helicopter with instrument ratings for both. You will need to get a civilian medical certificate before you can use the FAA license but your flight surgeon might be able to help you out with that.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Its been too long to remember how much I paid, but it was not much more than $100, when I did it in Corpus after Advanced Props. There wasnt a gouge session, but a zeroxed booklet that you study over with gouge on it. Take the test, show him your paperwork, and you are good to go. When the time comes, you will not have any difficulty finding out when and where to get this done.

jaerose

Can you do that after primary (will you have enough time for a PPL and instrument ratings) and on each step along the way...multi etc? Also, do you not have to take the FAA checkride? They just sign off on you? How does it work for flying in small cessna-type planes...do you just get checked out in them by an instructor? Thanks.

JR

Kim

I'm in Norfolk now, I didn't get a chance to take it in Pensacola, is there any way I can still take it without going back to P-cola?

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
When I was going through my PPL ground training, the guys at my flight school gave me a great website that has all the practice tests for most (may even be all) the FAA ratings. The website address is http://www.mywrittenexam.com/mwe/ . It is (or at least was) a free site where you can take these tests over and over again till you feel like you are sure you know all the stuff. They use the bank of questions the FAA has for their real tests to make up the practice exams. I used this to prepare for my PPL written test and got a 93 on it, and supposedly the average person only gets something in the low 80s (passing is 70). Hope this helps.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you take a Military Equivalency test there is no check ride.

jaerose

Do you just ask the Navy for the ME test after you earn your wings, or can you do it at each step along the way?

JR

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't ask the Navy for it. You must go to the FAA. Their license, their test. I didn't even know you could take it before winging until I read it hear. Everyone I knew waited until they were done. Seems to me you have enough to worry about during flight school without worrying about another test. What is the hurry? The FAA isn't going to stop issueing ME tests. Unless you plan on renting or buying (well, I did) an aircraft while on active duty then don't need it and can get it anywhere along the line, with the notable exception for helo guys having the fixed wing rating expire a year after primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.