• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Flight Schools to avoid/horror stories

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, nerds. Let's try to keep it at least somewhat topical.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
ip568 said:
Don's Flying Service, Marlborough, MA (9B1)

"We specialize in carrier landings before you even get to the Navy!"
Holy crap...nice thresholds...not.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
ip568 said:
Don's Flying Service, Marlborough, MA (9B1)

"We specialize in carrier landings before you even get to the Navy!"

Im a big fan of CDK....nice 2300 ft runway with water at both ends

043824iu.jpg

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Dauphin Island ( 4R9 ) , south of Mobile, is another fun airport if you wanna have a 2700ft runway with water at the end!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
2200'? 2700'? Sheesh, you GA guys make it sound like a big deal. 2000' is the average you'll get in Primary, w/ a "quicker" plane.

(and no, I'm not getting into the flight deck debate...we all know it's less)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
nublett said:
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is the best!
Yea, but as an ERAU undergrad and postgrad alumni I must brag!
Brag, you lost me..... What National Championship has your school won? MS Flight Sim Olympics DOES NOT COUNT!!! :)

HighDimension said:
Haha, Yea... Destin is up in the panhandle. It is amazing beautiful and has the prettiest beaches in the world. Also, quickly becoming a college spring break destination!
Sigh.... you need to check your priorities, or go see the eye doctor.... its not the beaches, but what's ON THE BEACHES, hopefully all tanned in bikinis!! Hello, ladies!! :D

Brett327 said:
Alright, nerds. Let's try to keep it at least somewhat topical.
This thread has hope finally!!!

saltpeter

Ah, an airport at Sea Level offers little excitement. Try it in the mountains out west with turbulence that will shake your fillings loose. Don't forget that density altitude boys, I'm sure Riddle had you calc. it before each flight. You'll learn why some IFR approaches appear ver VFRish through the windscreen. I've flown with some of your prodegies some go, some need to go back to riddle and get their money back.

nugget81

pilot
Civilian flight schools to avoid....Arizona State's program run by Mesa Air. Three years ago they had a triple fatality as a result of the training syllabus and some very poor judgment on the part of the instructor. High performance airplane in a mountainous airport on a high density altitude day doing a simulated zero/zero takeoff (required by the syllabus) from a 5132' runway. Aircraft did not generate enough power, takeoff was not aborted, three people didn't come home.

That and I've had several close calls with ASU aircraft not on frequency in the practice areas. "Safety first" is not a slogan, it's an action.

Liberty University......the best man, not only do you get an Amazing 4 year degree in Aviation and all the way to Commercial liscense, you also will be at a conservative school without all the fricken liberals!

Dhc2tacksby

I've got a few hours in the civilian world flying off off lakes, frozen and the liquid kind. I even took a girl to Dauphin Island in AL. Thats all fine and dandy.

I've seen pilots from both the "big School" and mom and pop shops. Both produced good pilots and both produced ****ty pilots.

My best advice is to go find a univeristy that gives credit for your ratings, and get you license's from a mom and pop shop. It'll save you money and time in the long run.

This was my bird:
lnk969(0).jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
HighDimension said:
Dauphin Island ( 4R9 ) , south of Mobile, is another fun airport if you wanna have a 2700ft runway with water at the end!

I flew a 172 in there a few weeks ago. Runway length is not an issue. I landed in a 13 knot direct cross... that was a much more important consideration on my approach @ 65 KIAS. "Why is my base leg taking FOREVER? Hmmm..."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
I flew a 172 in there a few weeks ago. Runway length is not an issue. I landed in a 13 knot direct cross... that was a much more important consideration on my approach @ 65 KIAS. "Why is my base leg taking FOREVER? Hmmm..."

And all the seabirds dropping shellfish on the runway to break them open and eat them . . . tires beware . . .

Is the seafood place there still open after all last year's hurricanes? Heard the island got schwacked pretty bad. I saw the runway was still intact when I flew to P-cola a few weeks ago.