• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Fields and Carrier Breaks

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I had been asked twice from the local tower to do a break while on the road. The first guy just said something like "hey, if you want the break, you can have it and we would appreciate it." There were no other planes in the pattern or anyone departing so I came around 400. Not slow, but not screaming the beast either. The second time I was asked to go as fast as possible for a "sierra hotel" break. However, it was real busy with planes in the pattern and some regional and business jet movement on ground. I passed on that opportunity as I was still pretty junior, this was a completely new field to me, and it just didn't "feel" right. I had enough experience to learn to listen to that feeling.

The Eagles in the MA Air National Guard typically do the combat spread overhead, or whatever it is called. People may make fun of it, but you have to remember that the break/overhead for military planes was originally developed to minimize the time at slow speed and get you on the ground from fast airspeed to touchdown as quickly as possible because you are most vulnerable at slow speed. But yeah, that was when we were worried about Zeros chasing us back to Mom.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
People may make fun of it, but you have to remember that the break/overhead for military planes was originally developed to minimize the time at slow speed and get you on the ground from fast airspeed to touchdown as quickly as possible because you are most vulnerable at slow speed. But yeah, that was when we were worried about Zeros chasing us back to Mom.

Funny, I just thought it was the easiest way to see all the traffic and sequence into a busy pattern. The break enables one to use all three dimensions, plus time very easily, whereas coming in at the 45 or whatnot really only allows you to adjust speed to achieve linear spacing.