• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Aviation Questions

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Until recently, I was a SNFO in jet advanced, about two months away from winging. That ended up not working out. However, despite everything that has happened, I do not want to give up on aviation, and would like to continue flying civilian in one form or another. I am considering either getting my PPL, or training to be a commercial helicopter pilot. This is where my questions for the board come in.
1) Has anyone received their civilian helicopter license in some way other than going through Navy helo training and converting that over? How does helicopter training work? Does getting your PPL for fixed-wing help, or is it a completely different training track?
2) Does anyone have any experience with helicopter training in Pensacola or within a 3-ish hour vicinity? (Not the HTs…).
3) I have 13 dual-piloted hours in the Cessna from IFS (almost two years ago), as well as 150 hours Special Crew Time from the Navy. Would this play any role in getting hours for a PPL? Would it be reasonable to at least skip the portions of ground school that deal with why an airplane flies, Class A-B-C-D airspace, etc? Not that I mind reviewing them, I guess. I just don’t want to pay for it if I don’t have to.
4) Finally, I am looking to talk to any non-aviators about other designators in the Navy. Particularly any Intel, AMDO, Supply types. I would appreciate a PM from anyone who has the time and inclination. And, if anyone out there is in need of a stashed Ensign, in P’cola or otherwise, I may be looking for work.
Thanks a lot for the help.

MasterBates

For 1. I was a commercial helo guy before the Navy. Be prepared to spend ~$30+K for a commercial. Helo time is EXPENSIVE. $200+ an hour. More like $500+ with turbines.

Be prepared to PAY to work somewhere while building hours for ATP. Stupid, but those that will pay, drive the wages into the negative range. Our own special verision of PFT.

Crop dusting with a helo is one of the better paying jobs for a low hours guy, but it is uncommon in the south.

Did I mention there is a reason why I don't fly helos commercially anymore? Helos are fun, but without serious amounts of hours, and possibly an ATP, it is NOT going to pay well on average.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Yeah, after some extensive Googling this afternoon, I found the nearest helo school to P'cola (2.5 hours away, outside GPT). 225$ an hour. I also noticed that a lot of the jobs required extensive long-line/sling/NVG experience, which I am assuming you only really gain on the job. Or is there any way around this? As well as 2,000+ hours PIC for many. I guess I'll try to get an hour lesson to see if it's all I'm imagining and continue researching the industry, and probably have to wait for the GI Bill to help me out somewhere down the road.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I hate to ask but can only wonder how one can go from almost winging in jets as a FO to wanting to be a helo pilot. regardless i hope things work out for you the best.

With that being said, how competitive are civilian helo jobs? I figure you got the tour guide helo pilots that can't be making all that much to the types that fly police/medical helos unless i'm missing something. i could see them being competitive but i really have no idea. do they look for military pilots? is it a viable job post navy commitment? basically, what does the commercial helo pilot job opportunities look like?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
i could see them being competitive but i really have no idea. do they look for military pilots? is it a viable job post navy commitment? basically, what does the commercial helo pilot job opportunities look like?

A lot of the medical helo opportunities require LOTS of hours, so I'm sure they look for military pilots. There was a Reserve IP in HTs who flew an EMS helo in Atlanta as his real job, so sure its possible. What I've been told about commercial helo jobs is that there are opportunities, but you have to go to them, ie offshore oil rig flying in Houston and Louisiana. They're more concentrated than fixed wing jobs as I understand it.