• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civ Land or NFO???

Should I stay or should I go?

• Navy

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Civilian

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCF

First off, I'd like to thank all of you on this site that have posted and given some invaluable insight to things from the application to retiring as an aviator.

Second, I submitted an OCS package as a 10 year active duty nuke MM. However, due to how long it was taking to get results and my somewhat-quickly approaching EAOS, I was also doing my best to prepare for the transition to civilian life for my family and me. (I was going to separate if not selected for commission).

Here in lies the rub....fast-forward a couple of months to now: I accepted a job offer and am set to begin work tomorrow and, as life would have it, just received my Pro-Rec for SNFO. I am currently waiting to find out if my medical portion is approved but there were no issues with the physical (outside of a dermatology medication thing that was cleared) so I don't expect there to be any issues.

I am looking for some genuine advice from both lifers and those who served their minimum in the aviation field. As I'm potentially going as a SNFO, those who have "been there, done that" would probably have the most applicable information, but, again, I will gladly accept any guidance. Thank you in advance.

Further information that may be of use:

-I need to make a decision within a couple of days as I separate within the week
-I have no contract with the new company, however, I will be paying back some fees as they are covering my HHG move as well as flights for my wife and I
-I highly desire a commission in the aviation community, but I would have to re-enlist to ensure I had enough time on my contract to make it through OCS to commissioning (I have already extended twice: once to get to shore duty and twice due to excessively low manning I volunteered to stay in 6 months passed my original EAOS).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I wanted to get as much info out there as I possibly could. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Potential SNFO

Renegade One

None
...I accepted a job offer and am set to begin work tomorrow and, as life would have it, just received my Pro-Rec for SNFO. ...I am looking for some genuine advice from both lifers and those who served their minimum in the aviation field. As I'm potentially going as a SNFO, those who have "been there, done that" would probably have the most applicable information, but, again, I will gladly accept any guidance. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Potential SNFO
Seriously? If you have to ask…enjoy the new civvie job. No whining later on, however. When you take a fork in the road…don't turn around.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First of all, I wouldn't hang my hopes on the results of a board. Move along; go work in the civvie sector, and if the Navy selects you, then you have to make a decision.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You only get one chance per life to join Naval Aviation. Civvie street will still be around in 6-8 years. That said, it's a tough road and may or may not be for you and yours. But once you decide to turn it down, you most likely can't unring that bell.

JCF

You can always go civvy street, this seems your last chance for OCS.
When you're old and grey you probably never regret what you did, you will regret what you didn't...

I appreciate the insight, East. And I whole-heartedly agree...this is it. I think my biggest hurdle is the waiting for medical acceptance. I am fully willing to re enlist with the knowledge I'm going to OCS, however, I can't knowingly re enlist with the possibility of deploying enlisted...

Nothing against the enlisted ranks, but I'm at the point of 'commission or nothing'. Thank you, again, for the comment.

JCF

You only get one chance per life to join Naval Aviation. Civvie street will still be around in 6-8 years. That said, it's a tough road and may or may not be for you and yours. But once you decide to turn it down, you most likely can't unring that bell.

'Can't unring that bell'...excellent way to put it. Appreciate the insight. Thank you for your time and response.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about an extension on your current enlistment? You could extend until selection determination. If selected and you re-enlist, the extension will be null and void. If you are not selected, then at the end of the extension, you are out of the Navy. I would advise against re-enlisting for an uncertainty.

azguy

None
How about an extension on your current enlistment? You could extend until selection determination. If selected and you re-enlist, the extension will be null and void. If you are not selected, then at the end of the extension, you are out of the Navy. I would advise against re-enlisting for an uncertainty.

Yep. Not sure how far out your EAOS is, but this is the way to go. Explain your situation to your CoC and if you're a "good guy," the XO and CMC can help you sell this to PERS.

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the insight, East. And I whole-heartedly agree...this is it. I think my biggest hurdle is the waiting for medical acceptance. I am fully willing to re enlist with the knowledge I'm going to OCS, however, I can't knowingly re enlist with the possibility of deploying enlisted...

Nothing against the enlisted ranks, but I'm at the point of 'commission or nothing'. Thank you, again, for the comment.

I have seen few people that were AD not be medically cleared, there is a reason you have to get a physical done prior to submission.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
First of all, I wouldn't hang my hopes on the results of a board. Move along; go work in the civvie sector, and if the Navy selects you, then you have to make a decision.

I am kind of OCS dumb.... (among other things), but does "Pro Rec", not mean that he has been selected by the board? Or is there a medical board that selects people as well? It sounds to me like all he is waiting on, is the okay from NAMI to go to OCS as a SNFO.

"(I have already extended twice: once to get to shore duty and twice due to excessively low manning I volunteered to stay in 6 months past my original EAOS)"
It sounds like he would have to re-enlist?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I am kind of OCS dumb.... (among other things), but does "Pro Rec", not mean that he has been selected by the board? Or is there a medical board that selects people as well? It sounds to me like all he is waiting on, is the okay from NAMI to go to OCS as a SNFO.
Yeah that's pretty much it, he's got the Pro-Rec, it sounds like he's waiting on a sign-off from N3M or whoever does the medical stuff before NAMI, then someone signs the FS and he gets a class date.
The problem right now is the backlog it appears they have, because people who applied to the December board still haven't gotten their letters yet. Interestingly, since OP is AD and coming close to the age limit, they might speed up his process, but I still doubt it'll happen anytime soon.
I say go with the advice above, talk to CoC and see if you can get another six months, because if they can't make it happen due to your previous extensions, you might have to go back to the board as a broken-service civilian or however that works.

JCF

Seriously? If you have to ask…enjoy the new civvie job. No whining later on, however. When you take a fork in the road…don't turn around.

Well, at the very least, I appreciate your candid and frank response. Thank you.

As some have touched on (thanks Kilroy) I currently have two extensions on this enlistment. Prior to being Pro-Rec'd I had no option to add a third extension, however, now my command has some wiggle room and is currently asking for it.

Yeah that's pretty much it, he's got the Pro-Rec, it sounds like he's waiting on a sign-off from N3M or whoever does the medical stuff before NAMI, then someone signs the FS and he gets a class date.
The problem right now is the backlog it appears they have, because people who applied to the December board still haven't gotten their letters yet. Interestingly, since OP is AD and coming close to the age limit, they might speed up his process, but I still doubt it'll happen anytime soon.
I say go with the advice above, talk to CoC and see if you can get another six months, because if they can't make it happen due to your previous extensions, you might have to go back to the board as a broken-service civilian or however that works.

I too thought that Pro Rec'd meant that I was good. It is is very possible that I'm cleared but am just waiting on admin to get a letter. There is someone looking into it for me at this time, but based on how close my EAOS is - this Sunday - I'm unsure if any of this is even feasible. If I had no fear of being sent to a submarine for the next two years I would just re enlist...but I've lived that life and as frustrating as it might be for some to hear, I'm not willing to do that for the chance to go SNFO.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
This may be a dumb question, but I Pro-Rec'd as a civilian. Can't you just get out and your Pro-Rec is still valid? I could understand if you were doing STA-21, but why not just get out, and then go to OCS once it's final? Can an officer recruiter start handling your orders vice PERS?

JCF

This may be a dumb question, but I Pro-Rec'd as a civilian. Can't you just get out and your Pro-Rec is still valid? I could understand if you were doing STA-21, but why not just get out, and then go to OCS once it's final? Can an officer recruiter start handling your orders vice PERS?

It is my understanding that there are specific quotas that must be filled from both the civilian and military side. But I too thought it was worth the ask :) I'm going to call N31 and the OCM to see if that's even a possibility. It's definitely worth a shot...worst case they say No. Thanks for the response. Hopefully it will be fruitful.