• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CitiBank Refusing Card Services for Weapons Purchases

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Good reason to cut up your Citi card if you have one and take your business elsewhere. The best place to hit em is their wallet.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Amazing. If you just read the title of this thread and take it for its explicit words then you'd be outraged. But, after reading the article, it strikes me that there needs to be some clarification.

First, is it Citi-Bank which is doing the denying or one of the companies responsible for monitoring their transactions?

Second, isn't Citi-Merchant just denying gun transactions that take place over the internet because they lack face-to-face dealings? (Yes, in spite of these forms of transactions being legal.)

Granted, it hinders the private buyer who purchases over the internet but it strikes me that the intention of this policy may be to cut-off any potential shady dealings between unauthorized or illegal dealers.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Amazing. If you just read the title of this thread and take it for its explicit words then you'd be outraged. But, after reading the article, it strikes me that there needs to be some clarification.

First, is it Citi-Bank which is doing the denying or one of the companies responsible for monitoring their transactions?

Second, isn't Citi-Merchant just denying gun transactions that take place over the internet because they lack face-to-face dealings? (Yes, in spite of these forms of transactions being legal.)

Granted, it hinders the private buyer who purchases over the internet but it strikes me that the intention of this policy may be to cut-off any potential shady dealings between unauthorized or illegal dealers.

How are they in a position to determine illegal dealers/shady dealings?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Who the hell cares what their intentions are? Some of the worst things in history started as good intentions.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
How are they in a position to determine illegal dealers/shady dealings?

They are in a position which affords them to deny transactions which could lead to illegal dealers and shady dealings. :D Heck if I know what may be their intentions but I certainly could imagine that reducing liability is one of them.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Who the hell cares what their intentions are? Some of the worst things in history started as good intentions.

I don't disagree with your statements. My only purpose in invoking a possible intent was because the original tone of this thread was that a major credit card company had denied weapons purchases on a potentially arbitrary basis.

Random8145

I don't disagree with your statements. My only purpose in invoking a possible intent was because the original tone of this thread was that a major credit card company had denied weapons purchases on a potentially arbitrary basis.

Point taken, I should have titled it better.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
One should be as the title is accurate

For obvious reasons this would have to be a joint decision.

No they have cut off all financial services to the company mentioned in the link.

This is not directed at private buyers, they are cutting off services to firearms merchants.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Refusing to provide credit card services to merchants because they legally deal products you dislike is arbitrary... but sadly legal.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Wells Fargo lost my business a long time ago when the began to refuse to finance gun purchases. My first firearm was a rifle I bought on a same as cash loan at McBrides in ATX. Now Wells Fargo refuses to underwrite the loans for gun purchases.

CitiBank never had my business and they never will.

The beauty of capitalism and liberal republicanism is that I can choose not to give my money to a company full of fascists.

Lawman

None
The beauty of capitalism and liberal republicanism is that I can choose not to give my money to a company full of fascists.

On that very note heres an effort to bring a little levity to this thread.

5 Companys the Nazi's gave us

Back to the original topic at hand. A thread about this came up on another forum. One of the members managed to get a responce to his inquiry about this policy. It reads:

"Thank you for your message. The posting at www.nssf.org regarding Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. is inaccurate. Further, while we generally do not comment on individual merchant customers, we would like to briefly address the 12/26 letter posted on the web site. Regretfully, that letter did a less than satisfactory job of expressing applicable policies. Those policies are more properly detailed below.

Citi Merchant Services and First Data do process firearms transactions. Our policy restrictions address only the sale of firearms in a non face-to-face environment. Non face-to-face transactions occur when a cardholder is not present in front of a merchant and includes mail order and online purchases. It is our policy not to service merchants that make non face-to-face sales in a number of industries, including firearms.

It is not the policy of Citi Merchant Services or First Data to refuse to process transactions from duly licensed merchants that sell firearms in face-to-face transactions at the point of sale.

The posting also incorrectly states that Robert Tenenbaum is the supervisor when, in fact, he is not."

Yeah a little condesending I think. How about I stop selling vans to Arabs because I cant confirm it wont be used for terrorist activities. Im sure that would fly well....:icon_rage

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
They are in a position which affords them to deny transactions which could lead to illegal dealers and shady dealings. :D Heck if I know what may be their intentions but I certainly could imagine that reducing liability is one of them.

Ah, guilt before being proved innocent. You have a very perverted sense of justice. How about if 'they' take your car away from you because you might drive drunk?

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Ah, guilt before being proved innocent. You have a very perverted sense of justice. How about if 'they' take your car away from you because you might drive drunk?

Don't give them any more ideas. I'm waiting for them to kick in your door when you are drinking at home and arrest you for DUI because you might choose to drive later on.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler

No, I do not possess a very perverted sense of justice. It is because I have a better understanding of our "justice" system which allows for me to make these distinctions. Companies make their decisions based upon what could happen; if they gather that the liability outweighs the potential profit, they are going to err on the side of caution.

Examples:

A warning label on a box of sleeping pills which states: "Caution- may cause drowsiness."

A warning label on a box of matches which states: "Caution- may catch fire."