• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Church/Holiday Routine

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
What do you mean by "Holiday Routine?"

And yes you can choose to attend church services of your choice. And if they don't have services, I remember some of my mormon and jewish friends got sent out in town to attend services as well too. That's one place where you won't get messed with or that OCS will let you participate in as well. It was definitely a nice refresher and break from the weeks.

Renegade One

None
Yeah, even the "non-practicing" in the class soon figure out that "Church Formation" (or whatever it's called nowadays...) gave you a calm, cool (A/C in the Chapel), introspective hour or more to recage your mind and gather your thoughts and your recharge your motivation. Don't recall much about the afternoons...pretty sure it wasn't "holiday routine", though.

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Thanks for the replies; that's what I was expecting.

(my husband referred to it as 'holiday routine' in bootcamp, so I thought that would be the most comparable term)

LET73

When I was at OCS in 2007, everyone went to the chapel on Sunday mornings for a couple hours regardless of whether we were going to attend services. There were donuts and coffee, and we could make phone calls home. Sundays weren't days off, but they were more relaxed than the rest of the week.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
When I was at OCS in 2007, everyone went to the chapel on Sunday mornings for a couple hours regardless of whether we were going to attend services. There were donuts and coffee, and we could make phone calls home. Sundays weren't days off, but they were more relaxed than the rest of the week.

This. simply laid on the deck outside the chapel against a discreet wall and took a nap. The ONLY safe time at OCS to sleep outside your rack.

jmcquate

Contributor
No weekend liberty in Navy OCS? The Saturday night in DC was a life saver in PLC.

Renegade One

None
No weekend liberty in Navy OCS? The Saturday night in DC was a life saver in PLC.
Can't speak for today. Back in my day...just after the dinosaurs died...nothing really happened "liberty-wise" until your class got "Secured"...I dunno...I'm guessing about week 4 or so. Then you could go to the AOCS Club on Wednesday evenings, and you did get some Saturday night liberty. It may have had a curfew attached...just don't remember. Doesn't matter...probably not relevant to what goes on now.

jmcquate

Contributor
Can't speak for today. Back in my day...just after the dinosaurs died...nothing really happened "liberty-wise" until your class got "Secured"...I dunno...I'm guessing about week 4 or so. Then you could go to the AOCS Club on Wednesday evenings, and you did get some Saturday night liberty. It may have had a curfew attached...just don't remember. Doesn't matter...probably not relevant to what goes on now.
PLC may be different now too. My expieriance was 28 years ago.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
There's weekend liberty in PLC from week 4 on. Several billets to be filled during libo, however: firewatch, parking lot watch, COG, SOG, etc. There was also a rotating 'duty platoon' that had even more billets to fill.

MasterBates

We had weekend liberty from week four through graduation, with some weeknights sprinkled in towards the end.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Renegade One

None
No liberty until CandiO phase in week 9 these days, unless you count NEX runs for lint rollers and laundry detergent.
So...nothing like the old AOCS Club, I gather? A shame.
How about anything/someone like "The Couth Lady"? Mrs. Leppert (as I recall...could be wrong...) who taught you how to eat at a formal table setting, how to ask a young lady for a dance, how to comport yourself in a dressy setting...and who helped pair you (if required) with a visiting Student Nurse for the AOCS Regimental Ball. Still do quarterly (or so) Regimental Balls? Great fun...

Sonog

pilot
We had a NKO course on formal dining and dinner etiquette . That was about it.

LET73

So...nothing like the old AOCS Club, I gather? A shame.
How about anything/someone like "The Couth Lady"? Mrs. Leppert (as I recall...could be wrong...) who taught you how to eat at a formal table setting, how to ask a young lady for a dance, how to comport yourself in a dressy setting...and who helped pair you (if required) with a visiting Student Nurse for the AOCS Regimental Ball. Still do quarterly (or so) Regimental Balls? Great fun...
We had someone in Pensacola who did that (minus the matchmaking, although she did start off by telling us how she had spent her youth chasing officer candidates and finally caught one). That was mainly to prepare us for our dining out.