• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

chronic cramp (side stitch) when running

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I do more than eating bananas: i consume potassium tablets.

I had to use them at the start of every swim season as I had to get back into shape. But make sure with these (and banannas!) you're drinking LOTS of water.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Are these comments about breathing a joke? Are you guys seriously putting that much thought into it? I think alot of things your body just sort of get used to.

My track team used to do slurpee runs to the 7-eleven. Everyone would get the biggest damn slurpees and crispee cream donuts and all kinds of other crap. At the beginning of the season everyone would barf all over the road on the 2.5 mile run back to school, but by the end of the season you develop an iron gut and you can eat whatever whenever.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Are these comments about breathing a joke? Are you guys seriously putting that much thought into it? I think alot of things your body just sort of get used to.

My track team used to do slurpee runs to the 7-eleven. Everyone would get the biggest damn slurpees and crispee cream donuts and all kinds of other crap. At the beginning of the season everyone would barf all over the road on the 2.5 mile run back to school, but by the end of the season you develop an iron gut and you can eat whatever whenever.
REP! My crosscountry team was the same way with in 'n out...

S3b_viking

Basically you're getting a cramp because your body is leaking lactic acid into that spot because you're not getting enough oxygen. The solution, run. Work on increasing your VO2 max by running 400 or 800 m sprints with a steady jog in between sprints. Fart lickers is what I've learned to call them. Try running the 400 in less that 2:00 to start off with and the 800 in less than 3:30 and try to do at least 4-6 in a workout and do it only once to twice a week with steady 2-3 mile runs 2-3 times a week as well. Push through the first couple side aches, but then all of a sudden they'll go away. Don't concentrate so much on your breathing, just fall into a rythm, that's what'll help you the most. Thats all I got for now. Try it out, it should work.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Basically you're getting a cramp because your body is leaking lactic acid into that spot because you're not getting enough oxygen. The solution, run. Work on increasing your VO2 max by running 400 or 800 m sprints with a steady jog in between sprints. Fart lickers is what I've learned to call them. Try running the 400 in less that 2:00 to start off with and the 800 in less than 3:30 and try to do at least 4-6 in a workout and do it only once to twice a week with steady 2-3 mile runs 2-3 times a week as well. Push through the first couple side aches, but then all of a sudden they'll go away. Don't concentrate so much on your breathing, just fall into a rythm, that's what'll help you the most. Thats all I got for now. Try it out, it should work.

I'm sorry but I don't see how you could have such a localized lactic acid buildup, especially in the core muscles. Surely your legs would build up lactic acid than any core muscles. Any authority on running will tell you that these cramps are caused by a variety of reasons....none of which I've ever read have been lactic acid. Although I do agree that running more tends to work these out (caveat being the pain doesn't increase or remain)

bsubdevils

I used to get them a lot. My friend who did cross-country showed me a little stop-gap measure to get it to go away.

When running, on the side it hurts, lean down like you're going to pick something up mid-stride, and keep running. It actually worked for me. Couldn't believe it.

Make sure you're breathing enough also, slowly and deeply and send the air to the muscle (little mind trick I learned marching in drum and bugle corps) and that you're using correct running form.

themongol

I used to get them a lot. My friend who did cross-country showed me a little stop-gap measure to get it to go away.

When running, on the side it hurts, lean down like you're going to pick something up mid-stride, and keep running. It actually worked for me. Couldn't believe it.

Make sure you're breathing enough also, slowly and deeply and send the air to the muscle (little mind trick I learned marching in drum and bugle corps) and that you're using correct running form.
Thanx for the advice. Gonna give it a try tomorrow and see what happen.