• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

chronic cramp (side stitch) when running

themongol

It seems like I cant get rid of my sidestitch when running. I've tried everything: keep hydrated, wait +3hours after eating, deep breathing, consume potassium and magnesium tablets, etc. Did some research on the net, I found out I have the worst kind: cramp on the bottom right rib-cage area. The cramp usually acted up almost at the end of my 1.5 mile run. Sometime it became unbearable so i had to stop running.
I think this is going to be a problem when i go to OCS. So anyone got any suggestion to reduce cramp for this poor guy?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I had a cramp that would come no matter what I tried much like yours. The tenderness it cause even persisted for days and would start to ache if I jogged to catch up to someone or walked too fast. What I tried was taking a break from running for a week or so then starting up again being very conscious of my eating/drinking around my running schedule. You might try this if this sounds like your problem.

themongol

I had a cramp that would come no matter what I tried much like yours. The tenderness it cause even persisted for days and would start to ache if I jogged to catch up to someone or walked too fast. What I tried was taking a break from running for a week or so then starting up again being very conscious of my eating/drinking around my running schedule. You might try this if this sounds like your problem.

I tried everything to no avail. My cramp doesnt persist for days lik you tho. it subsides quickly after i stop running.

MasterBates

I tried the Potassium tabs.. No joy. But bananas worked...

I wonder if it was a difference in being able to metabloize the potassium from the banana better than the pills...

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Always exhale with your left footfall. This prevents your stomach/innards from jarring by lifting your diaphragm. This helped my cramps a LOT.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I tried the Potassium tabs.. No joy. But bananas worked...

I wonder if it was a difference in being able to metabloize the potassium from the banana better than the pills...

I had the same results. supplements didnt really do much but the bananas helped out a lot. I had the problem in my calfs though.

jcm31781

Pensacola or bust!
pilot
Always exhale with your left footfall. This prevents your stomach/innards from jarring by lifting your diaphragm. This helped my cramps a LOT.

Or try alternating footfalls, that can help keep the stress of supporting everything evenly distributed.

awesomes

Kick ass, take names, ask questions later
Had the same problem when I was jogging. I changed up my breathing pattern and I haven't had one since. Sometimes, for me at least, I notice that my breathing pattern gets a little off the longer I get into my run. I really have to focus on just breathing in my pattern to get back on track. Hope ya find something that works.

Sarah Ruth

IN the Navy and going to OCS at last!
I can sympathize because I used to always have the exact same problem. What has worked for me is regulating my breathing: inhaling deeply for three steps, and fully exhaling during the next three steps. I don't know if that would help you but it might be worth a shot. I also agree that eating bananas helps :)

BackOrdered

Contributor
I use to be heavy on supplements. What you have to remember about supplements is that your body isn't use to and doesn't care for digesting vitamins in pill form. This is why you are usually told to eat a meal with your supplements. It is basically a measure to trick your body into treating the pill like food and utilizing the vitamins like it would solid food. This is why bananas are more effective than supplements or any solid food for that matter for specific vitamins. It is also why you see people downing those health shakes made from some fruits and such.That's just my two cents.