• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chow Hall Procedures

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was watching some "chow hall procedures" on youtube for OCS. How are the section leaders selected? And how often...? How many times do people screw up the procedures before they finally start getting it right? Also, how the hell do you learn that shit and talk so damn fast with out screwing up??!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xIMPP--eQ

The procedures are more towards the end..

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
First. . .the Section Leader is just a random gig. In our class, we went alphabetical. As for chow hall procedures, you'll learn them very quickly, as this is how you'll be eating EVERY day for the first nine weeks. The only change is that your 10 step process now includes using a fork and a knife in addition to the spoon. (Yes, that's right, the almighty war spoon is no longer. . .) You'll screw up quite few times, but don't worry, your Candi-O's and your class team will be right there to make sure you get it right :)

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was watching some "chow hall procedures" on youtube for OCS. How are the section leaders selected? And how often...? How many times do people screw up the procedures before they finally start getting it right? Also, how the hell do you learn that shit and talk so damn fast with out screwing up??!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xIMPP--eQ

The procedures are more towards the end..

I just watched that video. . .man, I miss those D.I.s, it was always more enjoyable watching this stuff happen to other people.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
First. . .the Section Leader is just a random gig. In our class, we went alphabetical. As for chow hall procedures, you'll learn them very quickly, as this is how you'll be eating EVERY day for the first nine weeks. The only change is that your 10 step process now includes using a fork and a knife in addition to the spoon. (Yes, that's right, the almighty war spoon is no longer. . .) You'll screw up quite few times, but don't worry, your Candi-O's and your class team will be right there to make sure you get it right :)

How many times did you have to do chow all procedures? Better yet how many times did you screw up? :)

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I only did chow hall procedures two times. Once on the weekend, so only one was really on the spot. Yeah, I screwed up some, but that happens. Until you've been doing it a couple of times, you're going to stumble through it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Section leader is random. You'll do it a few times or more, depending on a lot of things. I liked doing it because I knew I (probably) wouldn't fuck it away and get my class beat.

Don't nuke this. I know you think you're "Preparing for OCS", but nothing can prepare you for chow hall procedures. Each DI does them differently, so learning one way will only make you that much more jacked up later. Like has been said on here a million times, the best way to prep for OCS is to be a PT stud, and maybe know USN/USMC Rank Structure, General Orders of a Sentry, etc.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
You know what really helps you learn those?

Getting them as a writing assignment 2 or 3 times and writing them out by hand, 10 each.

Pretty sure Synix and I had the same Gunny, so not sure if he had to do it. But yeah, you do chow hall procedures everyday, 3x a day. Don't worry, you'll get good at sounding off and talking fast and making it look like clockwork. But honestly, these are the least of your worries. Do what Synixman said and worry about the other stuff he mentioned. That is WAY more important.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
You know what really helps you learn those?

Getting them as a writing assignment 2 or 3 times and writing them out by hand, 10 each.

Pretty sure Synix and I had the same Gunny, so not sure if he had to do it. But yeah, you do chow hall procedures everyday, 3x a day. Don't worry, you'll get good at sounding off and talking fast and making it look like clockwork. But honestly, these are the least of your worries. Do what Synixman said and worry about the other stuff he mentioned. That is WAY more important.

Who did you guys have?

I think we had to write them out three separate times as well. . .and yes, one of them was a 10 timer. Ughh. . .That made for a VERY late night, especially for those of us who can't write very quickly.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Who did you guys have?

I think we had to write them out three separate times as well. . .and yes, one of them was a 10 timer. Ughh. . .That made for a VERY late night, especially for those of us who can't write very quickly.

So I guess you weren't fortunate enough to learn the ol' "tie three pencils together" trick in grade school, eh? Tsk.

Fun fact: In the education sphere, forcing students to write lines is now considered corporal punishment.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
So I guess you weren't fortunate enough to learn the ol' "tie three pencils together" trick in grade school, eh? Tsk.

Fun fact: In the education sphere, forcing students to write lines is now considered corporal punishment.

Well, that's retarded. You know, I learned quite a bit from having to stay late and write on the chalk board. It taught me how to be sneakier, and not get caught. :) How will our children learn?

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
......... The only change is that your 10 step process now includes using a fork and a knife in addition to the spoon. (Yes, that's right, the almighty war spoon is no longer. . .)

WTF....fork and knife added?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
WTF....fork and knife added?

Yeah, our class was the last class to eat with the war spoon only. It is kind of sad that I won't have a chance to see a candidate try and eat a cheeseburger with a spoon. That was always amusing. To be honest, I have to say that eating with the fork and knife is infinitely more complex and retarded.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I'll be honest, I have no f'n clue. I watched it for 3 weeks as a Candi-O and I still couldn't figure it out. It wasn't as uniform of a process as eating with the spoon. With the fork/knife/spoon system, they have the option of cutting their food, they have to switch the fork between the hands. . .basically, it just made eating that much more complicated.