• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Plane Explodes as Passengers Evacuate

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know have a new mental image when people talk about engines "grenading." Yeesh . . .

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Who brought marshmallows?

180px-RoastingMarshmallow.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely something you don't see everyday........story is pretty incredible (passengers were about to deplane and noticed left engine was billowing smoke)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Definitely something you don't see everyday........story is pretty incredible (passengers were about to deplane and noticed left engine was billowing smoke)

Story calls Oki a resort island. I kinda always thought of it as a really pretty prison. Maybe life as a O will make it different next time around.

Is this airline from Free China or PR China? I didn't think "Free China" called their stuff Chinese anymore.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Story calls Oki a resort island. I kinda always thought of it as a really pretty prison. Maybe life as a O will make it different next time around.

Is this airline from Free China or PR China? I didn't think "Free China" called their stuff Chinese anymore.

It's Free China. Their national carrier is China Airlines. They both think they're China.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm hearing that Boeing has already put out a bulletin saying it was a fuel leak that caused the fire. Fuel leaks on hot engine parts and ignites. Fire in engine nacelle causes more fuel to leak which hits hot brakes and ignites. Nice explosion and scratch one aircraft.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I can't wait to see the cause... 737-800s don't just burst into flames for no good reason.

That's why they tell you to stay off your cell phone until you've reached the gate!

Don't you people listen to anything the stews say?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Story calls Oki a resort island. I kinda always thought of it as a really pretty prison. .....Is this airline from Free China or PR China? ....

Okinawa is a GREAT place to go (our crews and the J-s believe it!) ... if you know where to go and know to stay away from anything USMC, which usually puts a whole different face on it. Naha and Kadena were always two of my favorite layovers ... nice layover hotels, lots to do, the WX was usually fine. A Japanese poor-man's Florida vacation, perhaps.

The ONE "good" USMC time we had was when the entire crew went to the Futenma NCO club and drank & danced the night away. Lousy food, cold beer, a great crew, "music" .... a rare experience, to be sure ...

China Air (callsign "Dynasty") was founded in @ 1959 in Taiwan. Air China dates from @ 1988 (there is always some confusion over the transition dates from "old" Air China and the "new") and is the official civilian air arm of the Chinese Communist government.

Initially, the two airlines were almost like the Martins and McCoys -- they couldn't even be "near" each other at any airport in the Orient. Of course it was easy, early on, as the ChiComs didn't fly very many places. We once considered a WX divert into Canton (
Guangzhou) and our Taiwanese flight attendants were positively apoplectic -- they were crying -- as they would have been "detained" had we landed in Red China ... so it went in the Orient. It's different now days ....

The two airlines routinely sport relatively new equipment these days, so-so inflight service, shitty pilots, shittier pilot training, and chewing gum and duct tape maintenance. Fly them at your own risk ....

And don't tell me they are "good" airlines ... they are both shit. I've got too much time south of Tokyo experiencing what I've just described. I know better ... :)

The video above?? Could have been some serious fried rice. Instead, it was just another Chinese fire drill .... ;)