• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

China Airlines 737-800 nearly overshoots runway at takeoff

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Never mind, pilots say the a/s indicator was FUBAR.

Comments from HAL?
If the airspeed indicator was FUBAR, he should have been smart enough to abort.

The 737 has a 2 degree flap setting but I think it has a 5 degree min for t/o (type ride was 2001 and I don't really remember). But I don't see any slats extended in that clip. I've never heard of a slat equipped plane not using those for t/o. In his configuration, he had to have very high Vr and V2, as such he should have hit V1 long before Vr. If there was an airspeed problem and he did his required runway homework, it should have been obvious by V1 something wasn't right.

Nose - Only a week into my training but a 717 is a DC-9 on steroids. We have a limit of at least 5 degrees of flaps for t/o. Not sure if this is a company limitation or a Boeing limitation.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Regardless of any flap position, planned or otherwise, there is always a rotation speed, Vr.

That there seems to be no apparent attempt to rotate until the very last second (or a little later) indicates to me they never actually reached Vr – either through bad planning, reduced thrust, indicator error, or whatever.

[Obviously, a bad mistake was made here. Yet it sorta reminds me of some heavy/hot/high-alt "improved climbs" I did many years ago – legal by the book, but scares the crap out of you sometimes as the runway instantly turns to sage brush just a few feet (25' IIRC) underneath.]

nugget81

pilot
Civil aviation is exploding in China. Standby for more of this.

I recall from a few years ago that one of my instructors said that China used classified ads to seek out potential airline pilots from the local population :eek:

"You want be airplane pilot? You call this number..."

Nose

pilot
Nose - Only a week into my training but a 717 is a DC-9 on steroids. We have a limit of at least 5 degrees of flaps for t/o. Not sure if this is a company limitation or a Boeing limitation.

Hal, you should enjoy 717. I think they "fixed" the two major problems with DC-9: VOR only Navigation (sucked - charts everywhere!) and bad AC (cockpit >100 in summer).

Other than that, it is a great jet. Very reliable, very simple.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Hal, you should enjoy 717. I think they "fixed" the two major problems with DC-9: VOR only Navigation (sucked - charts everywhere!) and bad AC (cockpit >100 in summer).

HAL has been flying contract 727s... Should be really good at VOR only NAV,a loud cockpit and of course the unpredicatable heating/AC..

Congrats Again.. If you ever jumpseat thru MEM, let me know and 1st cold one is on me!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....wasn't there a huge accident at DTW a number of years ago caused by an NWA DC-9 taking off with zero flaps set?
It consisted of a massive attitude fuck-up on the part of a former Republic crew bitching about everything in the world prior to takeoff --- at the expense of running a proper checklist and setting takeoff configuration.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Having flown the Orient for the past 25+ years (35+ if you count the Navy), I can state without hesitation or equivocation that Oriental/Asian airlines -- including the sometimes vaunted JAL (some of whose pilots I trained) -- are some of the WORST aviators in the world. Their safety records will usually reflect this observation. Actually, it's a toss-up with Rag-head airlines (some of whose pilots I also trained) ... please note who the "rich sheiks" hire to drive THEIR airplanes. They don't go with the local boys ... :icon_wink

Actually ... most "indigenous" airlines are crap. Fly foreign airlines at your own risk.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If the airspeed indicator was FUBAR, he should have been smart enough to abort......
That's one of the deficiencies of airline takeoff data computations -- they don't do a "line-speed" check. You do in the Navy (at least you should) and I did in the airlines for every takeoff ... there's no reason not to -- and it MIGHT save the day.