• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Childhood depression waiver?

goldydice

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I am seeking opinions regarding my son’s specific situation. He just graduated from college with a B.S. in Business and Finance, GPA 3.85. He lived in Japan for 1 year of college on a study abroad program and speaks some Japanese. He has always dreamed of becoming a naval aviator and wants to apply to OSC. He recently underwent PRK to correct his vision, but he has a diagnosis of childhood depression/bipolar in his past that is going to be a problem. However, I believe that he was misdiagnosed by unqualified professionals. Here’s his story and I apologize for the length.

Around the time he was 8 years old, his father and I divorced and my son was misbehaving in the 2nd grade. His teacher in school made me feel terrible about his bad attitude and I took him for counseling. We saw a nurse practitioner who said he was depressed and suggested we try an anti-depressant. Since I’m a rather worrisome mother and willing to trust the “professionals”, I agreed. (Note, these particular records were destroyed by that clinic over 14 years ago and I do not remember the name of the nurse). After a period of time, I noticed that my son was excessively “happy” after being on the anti-depressants and the nurse suggested that this was a symptom of bipolar disorder. She then took him off of the anti-depressants and placed him on a mood stabilizer. The nurse practitioner eventually left that clinic and referred me to another psychiatrist who carried forth the diagnosis and for a period of a few years, he was continued on the mood stabilizer and occasionally took an anti-depressant as well. This doctor’s notes are sketchy, so it’s difficult to recall all of the details. (Note, I discovered recently that this psychiatrist was under disciplinary action by the medical board when he was treating my son and we were not aware of this fact at the time. I have the court documents validating this). When my son was 15, he wanted to know why he was taking these pills still because he felt just fine. I decided to have him evaluated by a different doctor because I wasn’t sure what to do next. This new psychiatrist tells me that my son is just fine and does not have bipolar disorder. He also referred us to a psychologist who does biofeedback or some sort of fancy testing that cost us big bucks. This psychologist told us my son was just fine too and may have had a adjustment disorder, reactive to parental conflict. So, we discontinued the medications 7 years ago without problem and he has been fine since.

Little did we realize how damaging this history would be on my son’s future plans. About 1.5 years ago, he applied for a 2nd class airman’s certificate. He had thought about private aviation or air traffic control and this is when we were honest about his childhood and suddenly his mental health was being scrutinized. The FAA required a complete forensic psychiatric work up. We submitted all of the medical history we could obtain and spent a fair amount of money on this assessment. The psychiatrist concluded as his diagnosis the following when my son was 21 years old: History of Depression NOS during childhood, early adolescent, now in full remission for 7 years and History of Oppositional Defiant Disorder, currently in remission for 6 years. There is no mention of bipolar in the final diagnosis, but he does state in the main body of the report that he probably never had it. He recommended a special issuance of an aeromedical certificate and the FAA granted it. He’s supposed to follow up with his AME and this psychiatrist in a few months. I’m hopeful at that time that the FAA will remove the special issuance as my son’s AME said that they probably would and then would leave him alone.

I feel partially responsible for my son’s medical history because I was a busy, single working mom who let him stay on these meds for far too long because I didn’t want to “rock” the boat. Therefore, I’m doing all I can to help him now. I’m looking for advice on the best way to present all of this information to the Navy for a waiver. I’ve read about people being permanently disqualified for just the mention of this kind of stuff in their past and I want to do everything “right” the first time around. My son was just a kid who got caught up in the land of misdiagnosis because he had a “Type A” personality at an early age and would become “down” easily when his expectations weren’t met. He obviously excelled in college, lived abroad for a year on his own (which can be a very stressful endeavor), has had the same part-time job for 6 years though high-school and college, has no criminal record whatsoever, and has excellent credit. What do you believe his chances are for a waiver and what can I do to improve the odds so that the Navy won’t immediately and permanently disqualify him? I will pay for however many assessments or tests are needed. I just want him to have a fair chance based on his true person, rather than this crap attached to his childhood. It may also be worth noting that he would consider Navy Supply or the Air Force too. He just really wants to serve his country.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I am seeking opinions regarding my son's specific situation....
Your Son's situation as you so well outlined above, should be addressed only by a Military Physician (Flight Surgeon). Fortunately, we have two AW members who are very experienced FSs and assess aeromedical situations, and offer opinions/advice. They are not here on any regular schedule, so patience will be required until one or the other checks in to "read the board". One is feddoc, and the other is TimeBomb.:)
BzB

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It is awesome to have a parent this involved and willing to do this much for their son. Good job Mom! Hope it works out well, I'd take the FAA certificate as a positive sign, hopefully feddoc will weigh in soon.
Pickle

exNavyOffRec

The only way to see how this is going to play out is for him to apply, he will probably have many hoops to jump through to be able to get a physical at MEPS but that is normal for anyone with a medical history, the big thing is to get N3M to clear him to be a USN officer, if he doesn't get cleared there then he won't have a chance to get cleared for aviation programs, as far as chances of getting thru N3M a few variables can come into play at N3M such as what one Doc may waive another may not, however the documentation you have been getting is what is needed so good for getting all this done now.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to start the application process to get the ball rolling, chances are just chances, I have seen people I thought were going to get waived get denied, and I have seen people who no one at the NRD thought would get cleared did.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your Son's situation as you so well outlined above, should be addressed only by a Military Physician (Flight Surgeon)......One is feddoc.....

I think feddoc was an Aviation Physiologist and not a flight doc, still gives pretty good words though.

goldydice

The only way to see how this is going to play out is for him to apply, he will probably have many hoops to jump through to be able to get a physical at MEPS but that is normal for anyone with a medical history, the big thing is to get N3M to clear him to be a USN officer, if he doesn't get cleared there then he won't have a chance to get cleared for aviation programs, as far as chances of getting thru N3M a few variables can come into play at N3M such as what one Doc may waive another may not, however the documentation you have been getting is what is needed so good for getting all this done now.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to start the application process to get the ball rolling, chances are just chances, I have seen people I thought were going to get waived get denied, and I have seen people who no one at the NRD thought would get cleared did.
May I ask what the difference between N3M and NAMI is? I'm having difficulty with all of the acronyms.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
May I ask what the difference between N3M and NAMI is? I'm having difficulty with all of the acronyms.

N3M is the letter you need to be medically qualified to be an officer, the NAMI letter is one that says you're good to go be an aviator. Unfortunately you don't get the NAMI stuff sorted until you are nearly done with OCS, which means he could get there and then find out he can't be a pilot after all.

Unfortunately the NAMI waiver guide says that bipolar disorder is non-waiverable. However, the flight medicine folks on here might be able to tell you ways around it, such as the diagnosis being invalid in the first place.

PS: Do you remember exactly what meds he took?

goldydice

Unfortunately the NAMI waiver guide says that bipolar disorder is non-waiverable. However, the flight medicine folks on here might be able to tell you ways around it, such as the diagnosis being invalid in the first place.

PS: Do you remember exactly what meds he took?[/quote]

Yes, I do see that the NAMI guide says that bipolar is non-waiverable, but the nurse practitioner diagnosed this at age 10 because he was hopped up on anti-depressants. The psychiatrist that he saw at age 15 said it was doubtful he was bipolar or depressed and the psychiatrist that did the FAA workup stated he probably never had it. It also was not on his Axis I or II diagnosis done for the FAA. I know for certain that the mood stabilizer was called Depakote. I believe he also took Lexapro and Wellbutrin at one point, but I would have to check the records. When I look back on this now, I am so ashamed that I even allowed these meds to be given to my son at such a young age.

I believe the most important thing to my son is to be an officer even though I know he would dearly love to be an aviator as well. When I read the NAMI waiver guide, it always makes references to aviation. Is their a different waiver guide for non-aviators?

goldydice

It is awesome to have a parent this involved and willing to do this much for their son. Good job Mom! Hope it works out well, I'd take the FAA certificate as a positive sign, hopefully feddoc will weigh in soon.
Pickle
Thank you for your kind words! Although, I'm afraid that my past interfering may have only caused problems for my son's future.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As someone who went through a very long medical process with what, in the end, appeared to be a misdiagnosis which caused a lot of unnecessary pain from NAMI, I'd answer the questions honestly, and if it asks if your son has a disorder, it sounds like he can honestly say no.

I'm not sure if the forms say "have you ever..." which would be the sticky point. But when you've had two medical professionals tell you there wasn't ever a problem, I'd roll with that.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
goldydice,
General physical standards for commissioning can be found in DoD instruction 6130.3 (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/613003p.pdf). These are the standards which all the services use to develop their own policies. Standards can always be more strict than the superseding instruction, never more lenient.

For the Navy, general standards for commissioning are found in MANMED chapter 15. Waivers for disqualifying conditions can be recommended, but actual granting of those waivers will be driven by the particular needs of the services at that time. Special duty (flight, undersea, special operations) have more stringent standards, which for flight, are summarized in the NAMI aeromedical waiver guide, which is linked on this website.

Since your son has a history of several disqualifying psychiatric diagnoses, it will be necessary to have a waiver for each of the diagnoses, or provide some convincing evidence that the diagnoses were made in error. The examining physician at MEPS (first stop) will review the documents, and make a judgment on you son's suitability for service, based on the DoD policy. That physical exam package will then go to the medical arm of Navy Recruiting Command (N3M) for their recommendation. If they agree that the diagnoses were in error, he may not require a waiver of standards. If they feel that he still has disqualifying conditions, but a waiver of standards is in the best interests of the Navy, they will make a recommendation for a waiver of standards for general commissioning. If your son then applies for an aviation program, that information will go for another review at NAMI, who will (or not) recommend a waiver of standards for special duty.

He faces significant challenges in this effort. Treating childhood depression has gone through significant changes, and the agents your son was on are not typically first choice agents for treating pediatric depression. That said, treatment with antidepressants can "unmask" manic behavior in persons predisposed to bipolar disorder. It will be incumbent on him to have all the records available for the reviewing physicians, and even then, he will have an uphill fight.

I wish him the best.
R/

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

PS: Do you remember exactly what meds he took?

Yes, I do see that the NAMI guide says that bipolar is non-waiverable, but the nurse practitioner diagnosed this at age 10 because he was hopped up on anti-depressants. The psychiatrist that he saw at age 15 said it was doubtful he was bipolar or depressed and the psychiatrist that did the FAA workup stated he probably never had it. It also was not on his Axis I or II diagnosis done for the FAA. I know for certain that the mood stabilizer was called Depakote. I believe he also took Lexapro and Wellbutrin at one point, but I would have to check the records. When I look back on this now, I am so ashamed that I even allowed these meds to be given to my son at such a young age.

I believe the most important thing to my son is to be an officer even though I know he would dearly love to be an aviator as well. When I read the NAMI waiver guide, it always makes references to aviation. Is their a different waiver guide for non-aviators?[/quote]
If he was never diagnosed...then it, bi-polar, didn't happen. When the most recent Psychiatrist does not diagnose bi-polar...it didn't happen. I think the most likely thing to happen is that a Psychiatrist at NAMI will examine him and take a look at his history....off meds/off treatment X 6 - 7 years, and decide from there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If he was never diagnosed...then it, bi-polar, didn't happen. When the most recent Psychiatrist does not diagnose bi-polar...it didn't happen.

This was what I was trying to get at, and what ended up alleviating my issues (mine were internal medicine issues). The diagnosis was reversed, so it therefore didn't happen, which meant I was no longer DQ.

goldydice

goldydice,
General physical standards for commissioning can be found in DoD instruction 6130.3 (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/613003p.pdf). These are the standards which all the services use to develop their own policies. Standards can always be more strict than the superseding instruction, never more lenient.

Since your son has a history of several disqualifying psychiatric diagnoses, it will be necessary to have a waiver for each of the diagnoses, or provide some convincing evidence that the diagnoses were made in error. The examining physician at MEPS (first stop) will review the documents, and make a judgment on you son's suitability for service, based on the DoD policy. That physical exam package will then go to the medical arm of Navy Recruiting Command (N3M) for their recommendation. If they agree that the diagnoses were in error, he may not require a waiver of standards. If they feel that he still has disqualifying conditions, but a waiver of standards is in the best interests of the Navy, they will make a recommendation for a waiver of standards for general commissioning. If your son then applies for an aviation program, that information will go for another review at NAMI, who will (or not) recommend a waiver of standards for special duty.

He faces significant challenges in this effort. Treating childhood depression has gone through significant changes, and the agents your son was on are not typically first choice agents for treating pediatric depression. That said, treatment with antidepressants can "unmask" manic behavior in persons predisposed to bipolar disorder. It will be incumbent on him to have all the records available for the reviewing physicians, and even then, he will have an uphill fight.

I wish him the best.
R/
Thank you for explaining the differences between the general physical standards for commissioning and special duty. I can't speak as to the norm of the drugs he was taking, but I have heard that anti-depressants can "unmask" manic behavior. What I find difficult to believe is that a person with bipolar or suffering from depression can function as highly as my son for so many years. I think his GPA, living abroad, holding the same job for 5 y ears, etc. speaks to a mentally healthy person. However, I do understand that the Navy just can't take the risk. In your experience, have you seen many of these mental health waivers occur? Are there any published statistics or data available? What would make a difference here?

goldydice

This was what I was trying to get at, and what ended up alleviating my issues (mine were internal medicine issues). The diagnosis was reversed, so it therefore didn't happen, which meant I was no longer DQ.
Now I'm really confused. Question 16 on the medical pre-screening history report asks "have you ever seen a psychiatrist, psychologist ... for any reason ... to include depression ...? Also, question 49 asks if you ever or are "taking any medications"? So, it seems to me that he has to answer yes to both and explain why. Besides, if he answered no because he believed that he was being truthful, I'm sure the security background check would uncover the records through his 2nd class airman's certificate with the FAA and then he would have to explain why he answered the way he did.