• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Childhood Cancer

MattM

When I was 1 1/2 I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and went off chemo about 2 years later, so I've been off of chemo for 18 years now and never had any type of problems since then. While I know each cancer case has to be taken individually I was wondering if you have seen anything like this being waived given the age and length since treatment?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
When I was 1 1/2 I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and went off chemo about 2 years later, so I've been off of chemo for 18 years now and never had any type of problems since then. While I know each cancer case has to be taken individually I was wondering if you have seen anything like this being waived given the age and length since treatment?

A quick google search shows: "Survivors of childhood leukemia or lymphoma are generally
considered cured if their disease-free survival is for more years than their age at diagnosis. We
occasionally receive requests on such individuals. Recommendation is based on the type of
tumor and any residual effects of chemotherapy." - NAMI Waiver guide found here: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/Waiver Guide - Mailignancie.pdf

On a personal note: not cancer, but had a hole in the heart closed (via open heart surgery) when I was 7. Last Post-op was when I was 8. Metal mesh/staple is still in the heart (can be seen on Xray).

DODMERB Physical - GTG (10 years later)
Aviation Physical - GTG. No waiver. (14 years later)

GO FOR IT!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
MattM,
Your situation is more common than you might think as we've gotten a lot better at successfully treating childhood malignancies. As long as there were no consequences from the treatment or the primary malignancy (heart damage from Adriamycin, nerve/kidney damage from cis-platin, or the removal of some useful bits to treat the underlying malignancy), we generally recommended a waiver of standards. Good luck!
R/

CAMike

None
Contributor
My son was diagnosed with A.L.L. 3 years ago at age 6. Last recruiter I spoke with said it probably wouldn't be a problem if he stayed in remission until commissioning. Yeah -he's doomed. A pro-MIL father and a mother that absolutely won't allow any MIL career path.

Best of luck.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
My son was diagnosed with A.L.L. 3 years ago at age 6. Last recruiter I spoke with said it probably wouldn't be a problem if he stayed in remission until commissioning. Yeah -he's doomed. A pro-MIL father and a mother that absolutely won't allow any MIL career path.

Best of luck.

Well, you are a SWO...;)

exNavyOffRec

All you can do is try, years ago, before my last tour on recruiting the answer was no way, ever. However things have changed and items that didn't used to be waivered now are.

If you haven't already I would get all your documents together so they can get screened by MEPS, pretty sure they will come back with "not justified", then your documents will go to N3M, and the answer you want from them is "continue processing" that isn't a "yes", but it means there is a possibility of a waiver and they want to see those documents in conjunction with a physical.