• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Child brides in Afghanistan

Is child marriage always wrong

• Yes, I'm a consequentialist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I'm an absolutist

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, I'm a moral relativist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dunno, there is an intermittently active Cartesian demon deceiving me.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
WTF. Those guys decided not to. An SF recon team in Anaconda made the same determination for lone adult goatherder - let him go and get immediate extract, even at the possible cost of the operation.

I guess you know better.

No, I don't know better. I happen to agree with the SEAL who had the above opinion.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
No, I don't know better. I happen to agree with the SEAL who had the above opinion.
I don't have it on me now, but the Marine Corps did a Law of War survey of it's troops and on that question 8% of Marines chose to kill the 14 year old kid - which is good because 92% of Marines intellectually know to do the right thing - yet disheartening because, and I forget the exact phrase they use, "killing the 14 year old child violates even the most basic principles of humanity and respect for human life."

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
which is good because 92% of Marines intellectually know to do the right thing - yet disheartening because, and I forget the exact phrase they use, "killing the 14 year old child violates even the most basic principles of humanity and respect for human life."

I have never been in a situation such as this, nor will I probably ever be in one. With that being said, the dilemma in Lone Surivor would have certainly been a tough one. If I recall from the book, they DIDN'T kill the goatherders due to the fact that they would certainly be court martialed under a violation of the ROE.

I think if it weren't for the ROE, they would have killed the goatherders.

They knew that if they were to let the herders go, their position was going to be given away, and this high profile mission compromised.

Considering what actually happened (herders were spared of their lives, resultantly SEALS ended up being over run and killed), it certainly appears in hindsight that killing the herders would have been the correct choice.

SkywardET

Contrarian
WTF. Those guys decided not to. An SF recon team in Anaconda made the same determination for lone adult goatherder - they would not shoot an unarmed civilian, taking him prisoner would alert the family, so the only recourse would have been to let him go and get immediate extract, even at the possible cost of the operation.

I guess you know better.
I would hope to never be in such a situation, but given some of the options, I think that detaining the unarmed civilian temporarily would be a workable solution. The family will be alerted eventually, but to what, and where? A detainee will slow movement, but I think the advantages outweigh that cost.

Of course, I still only have a cursory understanding of all the nuances involved.