• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Checklist/Procedure/Flow Memorization

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any studying techniques to memorize checklists, flows, and procedures? I have seen it cause a lot of stress in the USNA Powered Flight Program and people were getting ready-room downs for not knowing/struggling to say them.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Flash cards and wrote memorization are what helped me learn the most. Everyone is different though. I've heard of a technique where you bounce a tennis ball against the wall while reciting EPs so there you have some kind of distraction, but I've never done that.

TheYeti

The reality is, memorizing all that stuff to the point that you can spit it out without thinking is tedious. Maybe it doesn't take that long for you, awesome! For me it takes quite a bit to get to that point. Just gotta put in reps man. Each time I've gotten to a different aircraft I sit down with the EP sheet and start with the first step of the first ep. Then kind of just say it over and over again, be confident that I have it down verbatim then start the next step of the ep. While trying to memorize the second step, I say the first one in order just to get more reps in. Once I felt confident with that EP I start the same process on the next EP, but each new step of the new EP is a chance to say the previous one before it. That method totally sucks ass and takes a while but has worked well. After a while I just walk around the house bouncing a tennis ball while my wife quizzes me. Also if you can have someone quiz you while driving that works pretty well too.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
1) Cockpit time
Sit in the aircraft, sim, or ground trainer, and go through the motions/switchology. I've found the parallel visual/aural/muscle memorization aids in fast amd accurate recall.

2) Systems knowledge
If you understand why you are doing each CMI and why they're in that order, you will better remember the steps, maybe this won't help you recite the EPs verbatim, but you'll get all the CMIs in.

If I had these two approaches in primary, I might be jet guy today. :D

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Agree with IKE, but also something the Blue Angels do that is something some other communities have in their checklists is they are melodic to a point, especially with the rhythm. I can still remember my flow on the 60 Start and the part immediately following it:

"Fly, Fly, direct, direct, backup pump in auto.
100% NF/NR,
Gauges and cautions green and clean,
Oil Temps and Pressures on the rise,
Good start, I have the controls."

It was kind of poetic and melodic. If something was off, I'd immediately notice it in my cadence as well and take a step back and think "ah, this isn't right, what's wrong?"

Reactions: IKE

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Last time I had something like that was in T-34's........"clock on, starter on......"........."speed, clean, check, feather, look, lock". Somehow I still remember that shit cold, and my last flight in it was almost a decade ago. I've already forgotten F-16 CAPs and it's only been 3 months since my last flight.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
1) Cockpit time
Sit in the aircraft, sim, or ground trainer, and go through the motions/switchology. I've found the parallel visual/aural/muscle memorization aids in fast amd accurate recall.

2) Systems knowledge
If you understand why you are doing each CMI and why they're in that order, you will better remember the steps, maybe this won't help you recite the EPs verbatim, but you'll get all the CMIs in.

If I had these two approaches in primary, I might be jet guy today. :D

This. Checklists and EPs without reaching for the lever/switch/circuit breakers are useful but only half the picture. Who cares if you spit the words out if your hands aren't moving at the same time. It's about assimilating what you're doing with the system.

Don't memorize checklists. They're printed for a reason. If you're doing shit that's not boldface without referencing the checklist its just a matter of time before you miss something. It's a bad habit that you don't need to get into.

hscs

pilot
Agree with IKE, particularly the second part. If you understand the effect of the system failure and what you need to do to keep the plane flying, the boldface steps will flow.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Get a white board and some dry erase markers. Write everything down, repeatedly, until you know the procedure cold. Your brain will remember the physical act of writing down the knowledge/procedure/fact much better than simply reading a card or publication and then trying to recite it verbally.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If checklist steps don't have to be done in order, do them starting on one side of the cockpit and ending on the other. It's easier to memorize by doing them in spatial order than in some arbitrary checklist order. Of course, if there's a reason they have to be done in a certain order, all bets are off . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agree with IKE, particularly the second part. If you understand the effect of the system failure and what you need to do to keep the plane flying, the boldface steps will flow.

Until they change the order for no real system reason, and then you're trying to remember what the old one was because you know that's NOT what it is, so then you can remember the new order. Or maybe that's just me.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Until they change the order for no real system reason, and then you're trying to remember what the old one was because you know that's NOT what it is, so then you can remember the new order. Or maybe that's just me.

Or trying to remember whatever the Ng limits are in the 60, which seem to change about every 8-12 months. :rolleyes:

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I appreciate all of the responses! The tennis ball and ground trainer methods have been working well. Writing them down has helped them too.