• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cheap AR-15

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Put together this M-4gery out of parts laying around this week. Not bad for a couple hundred bucks, but now I have the itch to start decking it out...:D Ideas? Suggestions?

Attachments

• M-4.jpg
    M-4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 317

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Well the biggest expense was the lower that I got from Kiser Arms here in Georgia. Great guy and $99 for *shipped doublestar lowers. (Joseph actually helps design some of Magpul's stuff. Mainly their Pmags.) Some roll pins, a carrying Handle/rear sight and that was about it. It's got a Wilson barrel, and LMT upper, the rest of the stuff I'd have to take a look at them. A few parts from a Blackthorne kit.

xmid

pilot
Contributor

I thought about an Acog, but to be honest with you I'm just not sure I want to spend that much. A used Acog maybe, but I really want to keep this rifle in the price range that I can take it out in the woods and not feel bad when I lay it on the ground or put it in the tool box of a truck. That being said, as I've done in the past this weapon has the chance of having 3-4 times its value in accessories if I get carried away...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought about an Acog, but to be honest with you I'm just not sure I want to spend that much. A used Acog maybe, but I really want to keep this rifle in the price range that I can take it out in the woods and not feel bad when I lay it on the ground or put it in the tool box of a truck. That being said, as I've done in the past this weapon has the chance of having 3-4 times its value in accessories if I get carried away...

I can understand what you're saying, BUT an ACOG isn't like a $11,000 Coach gun.... it was MADE for combat... laying it on the ground or putting it in a tool box? It'll laugh at that ;)

That being said, I kind of like a plain-jane M-4... they're mean looking :)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Suppressor...
http://www.advanced-armament.com/products/rifles/m42k.asp

Nice looking piece of gear btw...

How was the run?

I appreciate it. A suppressor may be in the works... Kevin Brittingham at AAC is a friend of my dad's and where I got my vector Uzi. I go back and forth on 5.56 suppressors. The crack of the sound barrier makes them still pretty loud, but then again thats part of my attraction is the distinctive "puh-crack" of a silenced M-4.

The run sucked. I'll probably throw up a post for anyone that might have wondered about the race. It was 26.2 miles of constant hills and we had record heat. I ran a not so impressive 4:40.02, but with all the crazyness and the 20 minutes to get past the start line I ended up feeling alright about it. Lost a toe nail and I got a blood blister the size of an acorn, but I guess I should have expected that having not run in almost a month.

Any ones thoughts on a RAS set up? I thought of going with a knights RAS, which would give me alot of options down the road.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Nancy. I don't treat my TA01 with kid gloves. I lay it (an the M4gery it's attached to) on whatever is necessary for the task at hand. It's a 'combat optic' it's built to take it.

Besides, if your glass costs significantly less than the rifle, you're not trying hard enough.

Also, KAC anything is akin to Wilson stuff, IMO... overpriced. I have a YHM quad-rail setup on my rifle. Granted, it's not free floating, but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there for a normal shooter IMO.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Very NICE squeeze. I agree on KAC, but I have a line on a RAS that would make it comparable to anything else of note that I could put on it. I thought about a Larue rail that I saw recently. My deal on the KAC just seams hard to beat by any of the other manufacturers.

When I first started to build this I said to myself, "This is going to be just a plain jane stock M-4", but damn its hard not to stop. I probably should have bought a better quality handle/rear sight because mine shifts like crazy. More than I've ever seen.

I thought about a magpul trigger guard, just cause they look kinda cool and they're cheap.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Put together this M-4gery out of parts laying around this week. Not bad for a couple hundred bucks, but now I have the itch to start decking it out...:D Ideas? Suggestions?

Nice! Doublestar/J&T Dist Rocks! I used their lower on my A4 20" build!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Very NICE squeeze. I agree on KAC, but I have a line on a RAS that would make it comparable to anything else of note that I could put on it. I thought about a Larue rail that I saw recently. My deal on the KAC just seams hard to beat by any of the other manufacturers.

When I first started to build this I said to myself, "This is going to be just a plain jane stock M-4", but damn its hard not to stop. I probably should have bought a better quality handle/rear sight because mine shifts like crazy. More than I've ever seen.

I thought about a magpul trigger guard, just cause they look kinda cool and they're cheap.

XMid: I have the KAC M5 RAS on my 20" rifle - again not free floating, but easy to install and works perfectly. Same as USMC has on their A4's. I also have the Magpul MIAD grip with the trigger guard - I love it! Rocks!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Very nice chuck! When I looked at the magpul grips it looked like they had adjustable backstrap and frontstrap inserts for the grip... how does that work? I like the Aimpoint too. I was thinking of doing something like that. It seems like alot of the Specwar guys use Aimpoints mounted pretty far forward.