• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing Color Vision Standards

Nsmith29

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone know about NAMI's color vision standards changing anytime soon. The word is that the Navy will be changing over to a Computerized Color Vision Test (CCVT) much like the USAF uses. I have spoke with one of the technicians down at NAMI, and they say it may happen at any time. The tech also mentioned that the PIP plates and FALANT may still be acceptable even if this new test is put into place.

Here is something I found online that talks about the CCVT: http://www.testingcolorvision.com/navyvalidation.pdf

Definitely concern for many in order to avoid the NAMI whammy...

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Not to sound wildly uneducated about color vision but isn't color vision color vision? You either got it or you don't? I can't imagine that one test is "easier" than another.

Nsmith29

Not quite. If you read the PDF I attached in the first message you will see that some tests are easier than others (the FALANT in particular).

Here is an excerpt from the PDF:
57% of color deficient applicants identified by the CCVT, and confirmed by the
Anomaloscope, passed the current naval aviation standard. Of those identified
as moderately color deficient by the CCVT, 37% met standards with the FALANT.

Although there is only about 3% of current Naval Aviators with color deficiencies, it is still something prospective SNA's should be aware of.

Nsmith29

To put it in prospective, I have taken the USAF CCVT and have a very minor tritan (blue) deficiency. Though I fall right below the standards for the USAF, the Navy's current color vision tests (PIP plates and FALANT) do not detect this deficiency.

Therefore, if I get picked up as an SNA, go through OCS, and the standards change before I get to NAMI... I might get screwed.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Therefore, if I get picked up as an SNA, go through OCS, and the standards change before I get to NAMI... I might get screwed.

This is a little bit like saying "I thought about having a kid once, and now I'm really stressing because if I do meet a girl, and eventually impregnate that girl, and then the child is born, and it lives to be an adult, there is a possibility that it might not be a doctor"

I know that doesn't answer your question, but this isn't worth your time and stress right now.

Nsmith29

I hear what you're saying, but I do have a fiance that's a USAF pilot select. If I know I will lose at pursuing at the goal of becoming a military pilot, then it significantly changes my priorities.

afwx

Booyahkah
Not to sound wildly uneducated about color vision but isn't color vision color vision? You either got it or you don't? I can't imagine that one test is "easier" than another.

I've taken the CCT test for a jump physical in my career field and that test is a much better gauge than what the PIP and FALANT are. It is all computerized and random. By what the PIP says, I am completely color blind. I am not because I can see most colors. The CCT identified where I am lacking, and proved the point that I am not color blind. There is a huge difference between color blindness and color deficient. Because of that test, I was able to get a waiver and qualify for Airborne.

afwx

Booyahkah
Oh, did you decide to go Army? The Navy doesn't have Airborne!;)
BzB

No, still going Navy. In Air Force weather, we can get assigned to perform weather duties for Army assets (part of our agreement when we became our own separate branch). We get stationed at their posts and attached to their units. We have to fulfill manning requirements for both the 82nd Airborne and 101st Airborne. Most (but not all) personnel that are with weather squadrons attached to Airborne units are Airborne qualified. It gives us a skill set that is on par with Airborne infantry since we have to deploy with them anyway. We also can get other skill sets like pathfinder, air assault, halo, you get the picture. Most of those advanced skill sets can be acquired being attached to the 82nd because they have a forward deploying recon team (LRRP) that needs a weatherman (outside of our special operations weatherman which is another career field that split from weather a few years back). The 101st has a huge air assault opportunity. We pretty much have to be a soldier and do pretty much what Army infantry does in case we have to go outside the wire with them (it isn't a rare occurance but it isn't too frequent either) to perform observations, fix weather stations at combat outposts/forward operating bases, patrol, be a gunner, etc.....These skillsets are not the same for every Army unit, but mainly those two and at Ft. Hood.

I did the physical because I was pushing hard to get assigned to one of those units before I made the decision to go from enlisted to officer. I needed the jump physical to help with getting the assignment (and was actually moving that direction) until message came down that all junior NCOs will not PCS from the weather forecasting hub. That made the physical irrelavant.

Renegade One

None
As usual, "Be very afraid of some sparky PhD Flight surgeon with a new bright idea".

The only test I ever took (of many) that ever seemed to make sense was the FALANT:
1. Can you pick out the night tanker? (Hint: He's the one flashing green)
2. Can you perceive "aspect" on another aircraft at night? (Hint: It's a combination of red/green/white position lights)
3. Can you differentiate CV landing area edge lights, centerline lights, drop lights, lens lights, rotating beacons and taxiway lights (ashore), yadda yadda yadda.
4. Can you differentiate between leaking hydraulic fluid and "other fluids"? (Hint: one is usually red)

There's probably a whole lot of hooey relative to modern cockpit lighting and the emerging demands of helmet-mounted sight units that I don't really understand, and for which "some" of this may be marginally relevant. I never did quite understand the "combination cheese, veggies and pepperoni pizza" plates in terms of real-world relevance.

Nsmith29

I agree with you Renegade. I'm just hoping this change isn't on the Navy's priority list. It seems to me that if pilots have been doing just fine with the FALANT for decades now, what's the need to cut out the that small percentage of deficients that get through? If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I work in the optical field, there hasn't been ANY rumors of this. PIP and Falant works and is cheaper. In this fiscal environment, sending computerized testing would be stupid where funds could be used for other things, like buying contact lenses for Aviators which my clinic isn't doing because we have no money. This is really insignificant though, so don't be worried about a blue deficiency as it isn't tested.
Also, optics usually deals with Optometrists, those three names have MD at the end. . .

On an added note, it's easier to pass the FALANT and harder to pass PIP, yet the Navy (refer to Manual of Medicine) mandates that if an Aviator can't pass the PIP to try the FALANT and if they pass they are within standards.

Nsmith29

I work in the optical field, there hasn't been ANY rumors of this. PIP and Falant works and is cheaper. In this fiscal environment, sending computerized testing would be stupid where funds could be used for other things, like buying contact lenses for Aviators which my clinic isn't doing because we have no money. This is really insignificant though, so don't be worried about a blue deficiency as it isn't tested.
Also, optics usually deals with Optometrists, those three names have MD at the end. . .

On an added note, it's easier to pass the FALANT and harder to pass PIP, yet the Navy (refer to Manual of Medicine) mandates that if an Aviator can't pass the PIP to try the FALANT and if they pass they are within standards.

Thank you for the info jbweldon04! This definitely makes me more confident moving forward. I have ZERO problem passing the PIP or the FALANT, so it seems I don't have much to worry about. How does your clinic deal with Aviators on a daily basis (if you don't mind me asking)?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As an aside, can anyone think of any blue lights in Naval Aviation? Maybe I am just being an idiot here and forgetting something painfully obvious, but all I can think of is red, yellow/amber, green, and more green. Oh yeah, I guess the moving map in the Hornet has blue overwater, but I always deselect the map anyway.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
How does your clinic deal with Aviators on a daily basis (if you don't mind me asking)?

We mainly support the entire community, from the service members who work on the planes, to supply, the cooks, wives, kids. The aviators we do see, we just give them the services you would expect any other optometry clinic would give. The only exception might be that they are required to be corrected to 20/20 and we take more time on a refraction to get them to 20/15 to make landing on a flight deck at night easier (from what I've been told this can be hard).