• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing Colleges/ Applying to BDCP

RighteousMile

Cry Freedom
hey guys

i havent been on here in a while and since the last time ive been on ive had some questions come up. so i was hoping you guys could help me out.

i went to a community college last year and my gpa was a 2.3. this summer my family moved and i changed community colleges. now i know a 2.3 isnt horrible especially since it was only for six 3 credit courses. but anyway, my question is when applying to BDCP for SNA, which i know is very competitive, can i leave out the transcripts to my first year of community college. or should i just send them in since it was only six classes and i can obviously get my gpa before applying to BDCP.

thanks guys

pd

ps vote for mccain

Lobster

2.3 in community college? :confused:Whats your GPA like now? are you planning on going to a 4 year?

Avalanche24

I know what you're thinking -- when credits transfer to another college/university, the GPA doesn't tag along. Even though the classes you took at the community college appear on the transcript of the new college/university, you still have to submit a transcript from every college you have attended.
I'm just going to throw this out there -- 3 credit courses are usually cake. Community colleges have lower standards than 4 year universities/colleges. I know they tell you it's the same education, but I know from experience that it's not.
Also, the minimum to stay in BDCP is a 2.7 GPA based on a 4.0 scale. If you're far below that when you apply, I think it's safe to say that they're not really going to consider you at all.
If I were you, I'd take another 2 semesters (30 credits) to get a good GPA at your new school. If you score well on the ASTB, even better. Then in your statement say how you learned discipline from your first few courses at the community college, you learned how to study more efficiently, and you set a goal to have a 3.5 GPA at your new college/university.

RighteousMile

Cry Freedom
A 2.3 is pretty pathetic, i got a D in my psych 100 level course so that's really what is dragging it down. the teacher was not very helpful and made the class much harder than it should have been for a 100 level psych class. many of my friends failed the same class.

I've really been studying hard this semester and so far my GPA is a 3.5 (only 5 or 6 weeks into the semester though). I'm also thinking about changing my major. would math, physics, or biology be competitive for an SNA or SNFO for BDCP, or does it have to be an engineering major to be competitive?

thanks

Lobster

A 2.3 is pretty pathetic, i got a D in my psych 100 level course so that's really what is dragging it down. the teacher was not very helpful and made the class much harder than it should have been for a 100 level psych class. many of my friends failed the same class.

I've really been studying hard this semester and so far my GPA is a 3.5 (only 5 or 6 weeks into the semester though). I'm also thinking about changing my major. would math, physics, or biology be competitive for an SNA or SNFO for BDCP, or does it have to be an engineering major to be competitive?

thanks

Engineering I think helps but again they look at the total package, I got selected and i'm a marketing and management double major..

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

thanks

My recruiter stressed the importance that I am getting a degree in Physics rather than anything else (besides engineering of course). You can have any major to be competitive, but I would assume a technical degree couldn't hurt. Don't change your degree because you want it to look good, change because you want to be in that field. I made that mistake. I hate Physics. Quantum and electrodynamics just are not my thing!

Lobster

Just don't be a history major. You cant be a pilot if you are a history major.

Something about history majors being too awesome or something like that.

Haha someone better give blackbearhockey the heads up, he's english lit, along the same lines...

pmasters

BDCP makes it very clear that they frown upon community-college transfers to begin with, especially if your GPA is well below the minimum to stay in BDCP. I strongly doubt they'll want you to get fly a very expensive airplane if you can't set the world on fire at community college. Seriously, if you want a chance you need to transfer to a respectable four-year college/university ASAP and get EXCELLENT grades.

BackOrdered

Contributor
When I applied for BDCP, I transfered from Community College to a 4 year, but I had about a 3.3 in Community College. PM me if you have any question on what I did to be competitive. Good Luck!

RighteousMile

Cry Freedom
So I'm registering for my final semester at a community college and I was wondering if you guys could give me any insight. Should I retake the two classes I got D's in? or should I just let them go and take different classes. I know at my school if you retake a class, the first grade still shows up on the transcripts but doesn't count towards my GPA. What does this matter in applying for a OCS SNA?

thanks

Lobster

anything to help the GPA, if you retake the classes and get A's then it shows you're able to get the job done in the classroom, and if you can retake them and still do well in the rest of your classes then why not