• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changes to BDCP/OCS/Officer Application Process

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ladies and Gents... latest on application process (any OPO's on here, feel free to correct any mistakes)

The application process has changed a bit.. info as passed down this week:

The parts of the application you need to fill out before and after the pro-rec have changed slightly.

Before you go to board for pro-rec:
Application
Security Clearance
Interviews
Fingerprint Card
ASTB

After
Medical stuff

Basically, you now have to get the security clearance BEFORE your kit gets sent to the board instead of after. That's the only real change.

Some of the checklists for the staff communities (medical, dental, JAG, MSC, nurse, etc.) have changed too. I can't give specifics there b/c all I am familiar with is the General Officer programs.

Cheers,
Bubba

maxlife

Does this mean..

that you need to have the results of your security check back or only the questions done and submitted before your BDCP package goes in??

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
SF-86 filled out and submitted. I think you end up with just an inerim security clearance.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cast-n-blast said:
What if you already hold a secret? Is it just updated?
I don't know what they do now, but that was the procedure back in the day.

NavyChaz

Great Navy Officer Application Guide that might help

Hi, everyone! I just went through the process of applying to become a Naval Officer. Whew! What an ordeal! Depending on how helpful your recruiter and processors are it can take from 2 to 4 months... and if you make one mistake, watch out! Anyhow, someone recommended that I go to this site, www.navyguides.com and download their application guide ebook.

I think the price is about $19 (can't remember exactly) but I can say it's the best money I ever spent. It's got everything you need to do in order and goes step by step through the whole thing and even tells you what to watch out for - common mistakes. My recruiter was really happy with how organized I was and I didn't have to bug him with too many questions. My recruiter hadn't heard of it, but checked it out once I told him and thought it was helpful.

Just thought I'd pass that along to anyone else who might be going through "application hell" - Good luck to everyone! If you have questions about it, let me know and I'll answer you right back.

NavyChaz

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Chaz,

Are you awaiting the boards or have you already recieved your final decision?

G'luck to ya.

Cheers,
Bubba

xmid

pilot
Contributor
So if you already did the whole EPSQ thing through USNA or ROTC do you just need to update it? It would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to find all that information again...

NavyChaz

Answer about EPSQ

xmid said:
So if you already did the whole EPSQ thing through USNA or ROTC do you just need to update it? It would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to find all that information again...

I'm not positive but I think you have to update the information if it's been a while. It's all got to match completely but they may have some of it on record already and then you'd only have to fill in the new stuff. But make sure it exactly matches everything on your applications form or it will kick out as a mistake. Trust me, I learned the hard way. Hope that helps.

sandiegohoov

None
What you need to know about the process

Ladies & Gents,

S-3 War Hoov FO turned officer recruiter a.k.a liar. Here's the skinny.

Not too much has changed in the application process. The main differences are that the process has moved from ADDOCS and FINDOCS, to PRODOCS and MEDOCS. It's basically the same thing, just the check-off list makes a lot more sense. You need everything except your medical documents and your PRT to send up to the board for a PROREC.

What you need to know about becoming an Naval Aviator in today's Navy, from an officer recruiters perspective:

First things first, take the ASTB and do well. How does one do well on the ASTB? The Navy's technical, so's the ASTB, coincidence? It helps if you have a BS from college. For those underwater basket weaver liberal arts majors you can still compete with engineers, but you're going to need to get crash course in basic Physics and Calc before you take the test. Instead of studying for the ASTB using ONLY the MFAT study guide, which is a piece of **** but unfortunately is the only thing out there right now, hit the same book store and get the GRE, GMAT, and FAA private pilots licence study guide. Not only will you brush up on lost collegiate skills, it'll keep you in the test mindset. Take a minimum of TWO WEEKS to study for the test, and by no means go in and take the test without first talking to a recruiter or looking at the MFAT study guide. You've only got three chances, put your best foot forward each time.

The ASTB is a kick in the nuts, so study hard. Out of the 200 applicants that have taken the test since I've been recruiting I can say maybe a ten percent were competitive for aviation. Since applicants have been using the methods above (GRE, GMAT, FAA..etc) they've improved their scores dramatically! Couple that with flight time, and I've frequently seen scores jump 10 points, which can make the difference of getting aviation and not getting it.

EVERYONE NEEDS FLIGHT TIME! Everyone needs flight time. There said it twice. If you don't have flight time and your ASTB scores are low, you're not getting in regardless of your GPA. You may know a friend or somebody that had a 2.0 with no flight time and a 45 on their ASTB that's flying Super's, well that rarely happens, if ever, and if somebody tells you that, report them to a security officer to have their clearance yanked, seriously it rarely happens and you aren't the exception. I just recently put in 3 Pilots with under a 3.0 GPA but they all had flight time and thier ASTB scores were around 60. Moral of the story, ASTB scores and Flight time MATTER! Flight time is expensive, so be creative, go to ground school, and get Microsoft simulator, make the best of your time in the air. Tell your instructor what you want to do and make him hold your feet to the flames. You may not enjoy it at first, but it'll pay off in the end (ASTB scores will reflect it!!)

So you're putting in a package and studying and getting flight time. OK that's way too much **** to do; how do I limit this? Step one: There's a great website out there you're recruiters should be refering you to it's called www.navyguides.com. There's another posting on here about it. It's a great guide, they have everything you need to know about the application process, and most importantly how to cut the time IN HALF! Buy it borrow it, do what you have to do to get your hands on it. Follow it step by step, don't think it'll do all of the thinking for you. I can't tell you how much of a good impression it leaves on your recruiter when you walk in with everything you need, add good ASTB scores, the boards will think Jesus in his second coming has applied to for Naval Aviation.

Bottom line, you have to put in the hard work to get aviation. It may take some money to get flight time, but if you don't do it somebody else will. If you don't study, some body else will, you get the picture. Maximize your time by getting the good study guides and proper application materials. It'll save you and your recruiter tons of time, and your package will be that much stronger.

If you're in the San Diego are and you have questions about this posting please contact me at zachary.guerra@navy.mil, Best of luck.

Fly Navy,

Zach "Meat" Guerra
LT USN
S-3 Vikings

jesse5730

Yes, you still have to fill out all the same paperwork, even if you currently hold a secret clerance. Well, that is what I was told and that is what i did, not hard since I had a print out of the application filled out from the last time I filled it out. I was told that you fill it out, send it in and they will see the questions that asks if you already have one, from there I beleive they will update your clerance. They don't just look at it and say, well he already has one.