• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changes in NROTC

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I don't agree with the CNO on everything...do you? Posting about it on here isn't the same as spouting off about it in public (I'm not OttoWrote8).
It pretty much is - this is a public forum, indexed by Google and read by numerous senior officers to include guys who wear stars. Your cloak of anonymity isn't as impenetrable as you may think.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
It pretty much is - this is a public forum, indexed by Google and read by numerous senior officers to include guys who wear stars. Your cloak of anonymity isn't as impenetrable as you may think.

The last thing we need here is a JAGMAN. Sticking to the original subject couldn't hurt. Instead of saying you don't agree with the CNO, you could say you agree with him better on other things. I know my place isn't to disagree with senior officers, but it is to agree with them more on other things.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I'm aware of the Non Ob first year, but now that I think of it I had a Marine at my old unit that was kicked out of NROTC or The academy (unsure of which) that enlisted as a result of what happened. He was actually a pretty good Marine. I've heard of a force reduction in areas of the Navy. Is this true or BS? Trying to give weight to the reasons 7599's and 7580's are being held up in the training cycle.

If someone comes in directly from the enlisted ranks, they have to complete their enlistment if they leave the program. (That happened to a couple of my classmates at USNA.)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Change in the current practice/status quo: YES. Change in the agreement: unequivocal NO. The agreement already states that at the pleasure of the SECNAV you will be sent to the enlisted fleet.

No change in the agreement.

"I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further"

ESB_Fett_Vader.jpg

That's all I think about when I read this thread.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
I see you're new here.
Apparently TOO new. Got an infraction for________ (insert lame excuse here)! I don't think giving your opinion about the current or new NROTC regulations could lead to anything adverse. As a guy that took the enlisted route and paid for college, I don't think NROTC candidates did anything more than prior enlisted NCO's, so why did I do 12 weeks of OCS and the NROTC guy only did 6 weeks? Because the NROTC candidate is better than me and got a super sweet deal, that's why. (Not to be construed as sarcasm. Seriously I have enough bad reps.)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
This issue has been discussed before.

But think about it this way, when you paid for college did you do 4 years of extracurricular in the form of NROTC? Or give up parts of your summer for Mountain Warfare or other cruise activities.

NROTC might seem a bit lax when compared to the 13 weeks of OCS, but think about it as spreading out those additional 7 weeks over the course of 4 years.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
so why did I do 12 weeks of OCS and the NROTC guy only did 6 weeks? Because the NROTC candidate is better than me and got a super sweet deal, that's why. (Not to be construed as sarcasm. Seriously I have enough bad reps.)

If it makes you feel better, the Academy MIDN are better than us both...they don't do OCS. :) Welcome Aboard.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
But think about it this way, when you paid for college did you do 4 years of extracurricular in the form of NROTC? Or give up parts of your summer for Mountain Warfare or other cruise activities.

NROTC might seem a bit lax when compared to the 13 weeks of OCS, but think about it as spreading out those additional 7 weeks over the course of 4 years.

As stated before, I did NOT do NROTC. I DID give up one summer to BOOT CAMP, half a year to MOS school, and another to OCS PLC Jrs (compared to a Midshipman). My leadership training was spent serving as an "overtime" reservist squad leader (See leading a group of Skylarks).

Going back to NROTC Selections, I tell these kids that they have a good thing going and to not take this lightly. Right now I have 40+ kids fighting over potentially 7 slots (650 Nationwide including early subs) with 20 being very competitive, and 3 transfers FROM Navy ROTC (Navy "stole[ish]" three of my kids). I'm seeing an increase in Marine Options compared to Navy options. Unfortunately, the deadline is 31 JAN and applicants can't submit to BOTH Navy & Marine options.

Job stuff is making my head hurt.:icon_rage

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
As stated before, I did NOT do NROTC. I DID give up one summer to BOOT CAMP, half a year to MOS school, and another to OCS PLC Jrs (compared to a Midshipman). My leadership training was spent serving as an "overtime" reservist squad leader (See leading a group of Skylarks).

What?

I never said you did do NROTC. You brought up the fact that NROTC does 6 week OCS and you did 13. I was explaining the descrepency.

sickboy

pilot
Service Selection vs. Service Assignment

My CO explained the new "Service Assignment" as a board of officers from different communities. All the commissioning MIDN are then ranked by academics and aptitude. He said there is no preference given to tech. majors. Then they look at your choices and put you where you fit. The first MIDN gets his/her first choice, the 100th MIDN's first choice might be filled, so they put you in your next choice.

My question is, how is this different from the old Service Selection. Also, because you don't really apply for a particular designator, does everyone have to take the ASTB and flight physical? Or are these scores not applied to the ranking system?

navy09

None
He said there is no preference given to tech. majors. Then they look at your choices and put you where you fit.

Say it ain't so... :D

The obvious difference is that in the current ("old"?) system, tech majors get a bump in GPA when they rank everyone out...I believe it gives a 3.5 engineer a 4.0 GPA for selection purposes.

Not sure about the rest of your question though. Currently, if pilot or NFO is in your top 3 you take a flight physical just in case. I guess if someone really got screwed into pilot they could just take the flight physical after selection, as we now select about 6 months before graduation. That's purely speculation though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Interesting...I could see this having the opposite effect of what the engineering incentive did previously/currently. I can imagine a lot of mids just picking up non-tech majors to boost their gpa and get slots.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting...I could see this having the opposite effect of what the engineering incentive did previously/currently. I can imagine a lot of mids just picking up non-tech majors to boost their gpa and get slots.

So it's a catch-22. You can't get a scholarship unless you are a tech major and you won't get aviation unless you have a 3.5 or better.

-ea6bflyr ;)