• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of Switching Jobs After Becoming an Officer

Jackrat

What are the requirment obligations I would have if I wanted to switch my job in the Navy after becoming an officer through a program like STA-21?

Does switching jobs kill advancement or looked upon as a blemish?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if there are any particular obligations associated with STA-21, but I would imagine it's like any other comissioning program - you're obligated to time-in-service, not a particular designator.

As for how switching jobs is "looked upon," short answer: it depends what you're switching between. I assume since you're posting here, you're either going for aviation, or you've got something else and want to go aviation later.

You compete for advancement against all other officers in your year group, but you compete for dept head, command, etc, against others in your community. How your "old jobs" help or hurt you is really up to the opinions/prejudices of the officers on those boards.

You're expected to meet standard career "gates" (the checks in the block) when you go before a board, and if you did something non-standard but equivalent to those gates, it might not make much difference. If you did a bunch of other things instead of the standard career track, it might be frowned upon.

That being said, there are some designators, such as AEDO or the new HR community, where pretty much everyone is expected to have come from somewhere else. The boards for those guys have a sort of apples-and-oranges process to go through, but they're also very small communities.

In general, it's near-impossible to say very far in advance what will help or hurt your career. Communities go through fads, or phases, where the selection boards like or don't like something. An awesome skipper I used to have went to Fallon for his JO Shore tour, back when Hawkeye guys didn't go to Fallon. Everyone told him it'd kill his career; but then, of course, Top Gun and CAEWWS moved out there and by the time he was up for command, it made him look like a front-runner.

Your best bet is, if you're going to switch communities, do it early on in your career. The longer you spend doing one job, the tougher you'll find it to switch to another.

phrogpilot73

...or the new HR community, where pretty much everyone is expected to have come from somewhere else.
Dude, it's not exactly a new community - my brother lat moved into it back in 2000 (7 years ago). That's not new...

Also, it's not necessarily true about everyone is expected to have come from somewhere else. As a CDR in my wife's command told us, most of the HR community came from the old GEN URL. My brother is actually sweating promotion because he lat moved into the field and apparently, they look down on lat moves and prefer someone who's done it from the get go.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...well, "new" as opposed to some of the communities that have been around for 50+ years. "Newer". How 'bout that? :D

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The most common changes are going from Unrestricted line (SWO, Pilot, NFO) to a Restricted Line or Staff Corps (Supply, AMDO).

It's much more difficult to transfer to an unrestricted line community (though not impossible) because they get so many new ensigns from ROTC/USNA that the need to take LTJGs/LTs just isn't there.

Also, restricted line and Staff Corps communities tend to like warfare qualified officers...something that generally can only be obtained in the URL.

Check this link out for more info on lat xfers: http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/ActiveDutyTransferRedesignation/

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
My brother is actually sweating promotion because he lat moved into the field and apparently, they look down on lat moves and prefer someone who's done it from the get go.

There's a community determined to make sure they don't support the warfighter.

VAmookie

I was thinging about going pilot, but switching sometime down the road to law because im starting to have trouble seeing at night.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I was thinging about going pilot, but switching sometime down the road to law because im starting to have trouble seeing at night.

Fortunately we don't fly at night. Might be something you'd want to bring up sooner rather than later. Like at a mishap investigation.

phrogpilot73

Fortunately we don't fly at night. Might be something you'd want to bring up sooner rather than later. Like at a mishap investigation.
Concur. Plus, it's nice if you can bring it up, rather than having it brought up for you because "dead men tell no tales."