• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CG 1705 Memorial

Brunes

pilot
Tommorow marks the 2 year anniversary of the loss of CG1705 as well as the Marine Cobra that was involved in the accident. A large event is planned tommorow at CGAS Sacramento to unveil the amazing memorial put together by the team here at the station to honor both crews. The Coast Guard is a small service, and every coastie looks out for another. The loss of our shipmates is tragic and it affects us all. Most of us consider it just like any other job, we always consider the risks that we take every day, but we never truly expect anything to happen. These aviators died doing what they love...flying. They are truly missed. Please take a minute to honor these individuals, and if the news of the 1705 is new to you... please take a minute to visit the official website built by the memorial committee; www.rescue1705.com
Coast Guard 1705

Lieutenant Commander Che J. Barnes......................... Aircraft Commander
Lieutenant Adam W. Bryant........................................... Co-Pilot
Chief Petty Officer John F. Seidman............................. Flight Engineer
Petty Officer 2nd Class Carl P. Grigonis....................... Navigator
Petty Officer 2nd Class Monica L. Beacham................ Radio Operator
Petty Officer 2nd Class Jason S. Moletzsky................. Air Crewman
Petty Officer 3rd Class Danny R. Kreder II................. Drop Master
Marine AH-1 Cobra

Major Samuel Leigh............................................. ............ Helicopter Pilot
First Lieutenant Thomas Claiborne............................... Helicopter Pilot

Che-1705_1_of_1.30471547_std.jpg

(Shared from a friends post at another forum-So I apologize for it being CG centric, but the rest of the thread is photos of the Memorial Construction in Sacto, as that is where my friend is stationed.)

BlkPny

pilot
Major Leigh was a generous and esteemed contributor to this website. He wrote under the nom de plume "Skidkid". His input and opinions are missed.

RIP, Major.

MasterBates

RIP Skidkid, and the rest who died.

Still can't drive by the last place we ate together without being reminded of his comments about me losing credit card roulette on a sizeable tab.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

phrogpilot73

Still can't drive by the last place we ate together without being reminded of his comments about me losing credit card roulette on a sizeable tab.
Same here. I'm glad I wasn't the one who lost...

Speaking of, do we want to pass the hat again and send another big check to the memorial fund? I'm down if that's the case.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I remember chatting with Skidkid on flashchat when I was an applicant. He was awesome to the youngins around here. RIP to him and our other fallen aviators.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for posting this, Brunes.
I'm about to walk out to stand in formation with the rest of my shipmates and dedicate the beautiful memorial erected here at Sacramento. I'll try to post a few pics later today or tomorrow.

We also have 12 Marines standing with us and taking place in the ceremony, with two putting in memorial bricks with the names of SkidKid and Thomas Claiborne; I believe there is also a bronze plaque with their names.

God Bless all nine of our fellow aviators who crossed the bar that day.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd donate in Finkle's memory.

I bought him a Rolex GMT when I was stationed at C5F.

He was the real deal. Miss him.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
God Bless all nine of our fellow aviators who crossed the bar that day.

Amen...I had only been an AW a short while when this tragedy occurred, so I never had a chance to rap/get to know the Major. It became obvious to me by the posted comments then & now, that SkidKid was a popular and highly valued AirWarrior and would be sorely missed by all. As before, count me in on the Memorial Fund.

RIP Major, and all Aircrew lost on that dark day.
BzB, head bowed...