• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CFI work while on AD

tbat15

Can you work as a civilian CFI while you are a active duty naval aviator? I was thinking about picking up the qual and maybe working some weekends.

MasterBates

Depends on command. You need command approval to have a "2nd job".

My experience is that approval for officers is dicey at best.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Can you work as a civilian CFI while you are a active duty naval aviator? I was thinking about picking up the qual and maybe working some weekends.
I did it and it was not worth it....The pay is not worth the risk....Remember that your base of civilian student pilots does not have the time/talent/resources to perform as safely as military pilots. You are also openeing yourself up to lawsuits that can sink you if one of your minions does something stupid and morts himself/someone else.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

What do you mean by picking up? What certificates and ratings do you currently have? I just got off of AD and am working on my CFI. I am in a very odd situation because of my certificates and ratings and really had to figure out what it takes to get my CFI.

In the best case scenario (already have SEL, 15 PIC in SEL a/c, etc.) it would cost around $3K to get it. Of course that is dependant on your rental rates, I used a combination of $70 and $100 rental rates for the estimate (1 rate for basic trainer, 1 rate for complex, hi-performance trainer). In the worst case scenario (no SEL, no SEL PIC, etc.) it might cost closer to $5K, not bad, but obviously 2/3rds more.

I am just throwing that out because I am not sure what you mean by "picking up" and I am just letting you know what I have learned recently.

tbat15

I've got the standard ratings coming out of Pcola (Commercial SEL and Helo and Inst). I know it would cost some change. Are you using GI Bill to cover any of it?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've got the standard ratings coming out of Pcola (Commercial SEL and Helo and Inst). I know it would cost some change. Are you using GI Bill to cover any of it?

No, I am not, but Heloanjin did. If you use GI Bill you have to go through a Part 141 flight school, which means you have to do the whole syllabus. I am not sure, but I think it would take a little longer to get, but no big deal if you are getting it for free.

In your case, I think, that you would need to log 15 hours PIC time in an SEL aircraft and meet the other requirements... 2 tests (FGI, FOI), instruction from an experience CFI, stall awareness check out, and the practical. In your case you could be logging your 15 hours while you are receiving instruction because you already have your SEL. I can't do that because I don't have an SEL yet.

I think a Part 141 syllabus will probably meet all of those requirements with ease. Heloanjin would know more about that.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I did some cfi'ing on the weekends back in primary. The command (vt-2) didn't have any issues with it.