• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cessna makes emergency landing at navy base

slug

I hate it when my Garmin tells me to turn the wrong way down a one way street.

You can't negotiate corners following the overhead view either. Trust me.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

That's the best clip I could find, unfortunately, but you get the point. I really liked the training we received in primary and advanced with partial panel and other "shit hits the fan scenarios." I think they really help you as a pilot since you know when you get into something like that, you know what to expect, how to handle it and how to get out of it safely.

jtmedli

pilot
Spot on. Which is why my private studs don't get to use a gps when I'm teaching them XC's. Sectional chart, whiz wheel, compass and watch are all you need on a VFR flight. Because the GPS will go tango uniform at some point...

Edit: I even teach spin entry and recovery to my private studs because I want them to know how to avoid the accidental spin. I'm a huge believer in stick and rudder skills.

It's nice to know that other instructors out there actually teach people to fly. My Instructor did the same thing with me.

I had a few hours of "upside down" time (in a Citabria) before I even soloed a Cessna. And learning XC planning was a whiz wheel, sectional, and wrist watch. I carry a GPS with me almost every time I go on a XC, but rarely ever even look at it.

yak52driver

Contributor
One of MY favorite things that I teach, but only if the stud wants to, is to pull the mixture on downwind, slow the a/c to stop the prop, and then let them make an actual dead stick landing. This way they get to see that the airplane doesn't care that the engine has quit, and it flies just fine. I don't do it with someone that doesn't want to because I don't want to scare anyone away from aviation. But the ones that do it learn a lot from the experience. They also learn that with the prop stopped and not windmilling that the plane glides further, you can actualy feel the difference before and after the prop stops.

ryan1234

After about 10 miles of heading SOUTH and unfolding and refolding his sectional about 13 times, the instructor just said, "Yeah, we're going to have to try this checkride again".

That's actually pretty common for some students (to have no idea where they are at) - I never understood it.... especially considering they train around the same area multiple times... think they might pick up on the landmarks a little.... Florida is pretty hard to get lost over.. and there is generally an airport every 20mi. If the student in your example kept going South a little futher.... he'd be in big poo poo when he saw a rather large landmark below him that belonged to NASA.

Can't imagine if these people ever needed to go over open ocean, night time, or IFR.

I really love seaplane flying....especially multi-engine seaplane flying. It really forces people to get to the basics of stick and rudder flying....and how to determine wind direction, T/O space, and obstructions without an ATIS or controller giving you that info. Not to mention the smoothest landings ever are on water. We don't have a GPS on board and we somehow find our way back home everytime by looking at a sectional and a compass...:D

As for that student failed comm landing at a base.... sometimes when they get back you can just plug their headset in or turn up the volume and viola!

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
In November 1973 there was a mid-air just west of Miramar involving a Cessna 310 and a Piper PA-28. The Piper, with one person on board, fell out of the sky immediately with fatal results to the pilot. The 310 was on a training flight with an instructor and two students. The aircraft was somewhat controllable and the pilot tried to circle to the south of Miramar and land on RWY 24. (20-20 hindsight... he should have tried to do a straight in landing on RWY 6...)

The 310 circled south of Miramar, tried to make 24R, but lost it in the turn and crashed into the engine turnup area about 100 yards northeast of the threshold of RWY 24R. As luck would have it, there was a VF-154 F-4J there doing a maintenance turn-up. The Phantom had just gone through a modification to install new EW and RHAW gear (Charger Blue and Pride... for those who care) and had all kinds of folks around it with black boxes attached to the various antennas, plus there was a pilot and RIO in the cockpits and the engines were turning. The 310 actually pancaked on top of the F-4. The back canopy was open, and the RIO saw something out of the corner of his eye, and ducked below the level of the canopy rails. The 310 hit the canopy and moved it sideways and down. If the RIO had not seen it, he would have suffered serious, if not fatal, head injuries.

All ground personnel were ok. Two of the three passengers in the 310 died and the third person was pretty banged up.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
They also learn that with the prop stopped and not windmilling that the plane glides further, you can actualy feel the difference before and after the prop stops.

How slow do you have to be moving to get the prop to stop on a run of the mill trainer?

phrogpilot73

All the student had to due, was look at the ocean, figure out figure out which way North was, point his titties in that direction and we would've gone straight home. Hell, he even had a 50/50 shot of which way North was.

After about 10 miles of heading SOUTH and unfolding and refolding his sectional about 13 times, the instructor just said, "Yeah, we're going to have to try this checkride again".
I hope that retard never flew again. Gee, you're on the EAST COAST... North is simple - keep the ocean on the right...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
One of MY favorite things that I teach, but only if the stud wants to, is to pull the mixture on downwind, slow the a/c to stop the prop, and then let them make an actual dead stick landing. This way they get to see that the airplane doesn't care that the engine has quit, and it flies just fine. I don't do it with someone that doesn't want to because I don't want to scare anyone away from aviation. But the ones that do it learn a lot from the experience. They also learn that with the prop stopped and not windmilling that the plane glides further, you can actualy feel the difference before and after the prop stops.
And if you don't make the runway or if there is something on the runway that requires you to go-around (and you can't) - there goes your license if not worse (crash).

There is a reason this is not in the PTS. If you want to do this, do it in a complex where you can just feather the prop.

Stupid idea.

ryan1234

And if you don't make the runway or if there is something on the runway that requires you to go-around (and you can't) - there goes your license if not worse (crash).

I'm not superstitious but.....

About two hours after I posted about how grand seaplane flying was I found myself floating in a lake with a dead engine (ironically in a lake called 'dead lake' ).... it all started practicing single engine approaches....with simulated feather at 12'' MP..... well.... the engine was running a little hot and had a loss of oil pressure.... which put the prop into feather... tried to get it out but because of this problem with the mixture not going to idle cut-off sometimes - it just went to feather....

Since you just turn circles in the water with one engine running.... shut the left down.... Tried to let the right cool down... but it never wanted to come outta feather (even when we took a screwdriver and released the nitrogen) ...armed with a couple oars we made a 1.5hr journey to a fishing camp on the other side of the lake. My phone didn't get signal...but I could take some pictures:

seaplane005.jpg

seaplane014.jpg

yak52driver

Contributor
HAL has made some very valid points, and I'm not suggesting anyone go out and try this on their own. In fact, if someone wants to experience it go find a glider school that does this every day and where they do teach high key, low key and energy managment.

I 'grew up' around pilots that did this all the time, an instructor trained me in it, and I've got glider time. A a few years back a mechanic cross threaded a fuel line fitting and a sliver of brass wedged between the needle and seat in the carburator and killed the engine while I was giving a sight seeing tour to a young couple and their baby. I dead sticked the landing, no damage to anything and everyone walked away unhurt. Having previously experienced how a plane behaves without an engine gave me the confidence to deal with the situation; fly the plane, manage my energy, pick my potential landing spot, with an alternate if necessary. and come out the other end okay.

Moral of the story for me, more training is better than less. If you want to see what it's like, find a glider school and they can show you.

ryan1234

I 'grew up' around pilots that did this all the time, an instructor trained me in it, and I've got glider time. A a few years back a mechanic cross threaded a fuel line fitting and a sliver of brass wedged between the needle and seat in the carburator and killed the engine while I was giving a sight seeing tour to a young couple and their baby. I dead sticked the landing, no damage to anything and everyone walked away unhurt. Having previously experienced how a plane behaves without an engine gave me the confidence to deal with the situation; fly the plane, manage my energy, pick my potential landing spot, with an alternate if necessary. and come out the other end okay.

Nice job not bending any metal... it constantly amazes me how such small often overlooked items can contribute to something like that.... guess it always goes back to the basics: maintain control