• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cessna 310 lands with nosegear up

Bevo16

pilot
Did you see him kill the engines and then cycle the starters to get the props in position so they would not hit the ground?

Minimal damage, I am sure.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had to sit through the Headline News "coverage" during my lunch break. Truly retarded job by the newscaster.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't find the link at the moment, but I remember seeing similar "coverage" a while back. It was in regard to some sort of light general Av crash, and the woman on-scene was demonstrating how dangerous the instrument "hood" (really the pull down face plate type) can be.....and of course she was wearing it backwards with the strap across her eyes :icon_rage In hindsight maybe she was on to something.....

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Cranking the starters, especially that close to touchdown, is pretty darn impressive. I'd forget all about the props within a few hundred feet of the runway.

T.J. - great commentary you stupid thinkforyourselfer. Without their "expert" it would be unwatchable. News anchors should never do live work... they're just too stupid to offer any sort of commentary. It almost reminds me of Zoolander.

Halfway through: OK, bad live news over, lets talk about something else that's bad, THE ECONOMY! God, I hate CNN.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Did you see him kill the engines and then cycle the starters to get the props in position so they would not hit the ground?

Minimal damage, I am sure.

Yeah, at the cost of nice PIO.

I dead sticked a BE55 Baron with a right main that wouldn't come down, did the same thing. Sucked up the gear, feathered both props at a 1/4 mile final. It's all a gamble because you've eliminated any chance of going around to save a few bucks on some engine overhauls, net 5 below for headwork. Ground down the flaps, cost a few antenna's and some body work. Gotta love the commentary from the peanut gallery at CNN.

FlyinRock

Very nice job of aviating. It appeared the nose gear was cocked to the left? If so it would indicate a broken scissors or ?? Did a nice job of positioning the props but he sure did wait to mess with the starter! I've seen about 3 of these now with the nose gear hung. Todays dollars he probably has about 10K damage. One blade on the left side took a hit so it will have to be replaced. Couldn't really tell how hard he hit the tail as he bobbled a little at the flare so there might be more damage there. Still, all in all a really nice job.
Sure could have done without the commentary. Reinforces how ignorant most newscasters are when they have to get off their scripts. The guy was so insistent there was a fire danger and it was going to blow at any moment. Well.....he is in the heart of the movie industry there in VNY. I ran an airtaxi and school out of there back in early 70's.
I wonder why he went for the numbers on a 5000'+ runway?

bbf7b2

pilot
One of the flight instructor's I used to work with had a similar incident in a Duchess where the nose gear refused to extend. He said it was one of those things where you spend a couple hours flying around burning off gas and thinking about how the landing could go. Then when the actual thing only lasts a few seconds and is totally uneventful you say "That was it?"

Attachments

• gearup.jpg
    gearup.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 82

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Very nice job of aviating. It appeared the nose gear was cocked to the left? If so it would indicate a broken scissors or ?? Did a nice job of positioning the props but he sure did wait to mess with the starter! I've seen about 3 of these now with the nose gear hung. Todays dollars he probably has about 10K damage. One blade on the left side took a hit so it will have to be replaced. Couldn't really tell how hard he hit the tail as he bobbled a little at the flare so there might be more damage there. Still, all in all a really nice job.
Sure could have done without the commentary. Reinforces how ignorant most newscasters are when they have to get off their scripts. The guy was so insistent there was a fire danger and it was going to blow at any moment. Well.....he is in the heart of the movie industry there in VNY. I ran an airtaxi and school out of there back in early 70's.

The sad thing is Miles O'Brien is the resident "aviation expert" at CNN..they always call on him when there is a live aviation mishap...just like a few months back when that American Airlines flight landed at LAX with the crooked nose gear. He did the play by play there too...

Rubiks06

pilot

When your the one in the situation im sure 5000' doesnt seem very long at all and thats not a situation you want to be long in (not that being short has better results).

FlyinRock

When your the one in the situation im sure 5000' doesnt seem very long at all and thats not a situation you want to be long in (not that being short has better results).
Rubik
I've been in such situations more than once. He did a great job of minimizing the damage to the aircraft but if he had gone a bit farther down the runway, he could have done even less damage with a more shallow approach path.
But, there are always those who feel they have to land in the first 10 feet of runway .....
It is a matter perspective when you have 10,000 of hard surface as opposed to 1500' and no go around capable? Experience and hours of fear doing thousands and thousands of take offs and landings with students can alter your viewpoint.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And I guess the flip side to that would be: what if the guy shut down the engines and then encountered some wind shear, or just built up an unexpected sink rate on short final and touched down off-field cause he was aiming for the numbers? Our FTI in primary says "1st 3rd of the rwy" and my guess is that this is so you have some buffer on either end (both on being unexpectedly short and long). Right?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
agreed, 5 for headwork

Here's your Humble know-it-all toolbag correspondent Miles O'Brien

2007-10-19-CNN-Obrien.jpg

He came to our school one year - clown.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
agreed, 5 for headwork

Here's your Humble know-it-all toolbag correspondent Miles O'Brien

2007-10-19-CNN-Obrien.jpg

He came to our school one year - clown.

His wiki has an entire area dedicated to his "aviation knowledge"..I wonder what his ratings are? It says he started instrument but doesn't say if he finished. Still, not qualified enough in my opinion to be the resident expert in such a big news agency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_O%27Brien_(journalist)