• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEC as an aerospace engineer

kito

This being airwarriors, I know there's a bunch of aerospace engineers out there. Have any of you attempted to go CEC, or know anyone who got into the CEC with an aerospace engineering degree?

They say that any ABET-accredited engineering degree will suffice, but I'm wondering how much of a strike against you it is if you're not civil/mechanical.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know any Aerospace engineers in the CEC, but I do know several electrical and even industrial engineers in the CEC.

I don't think it's a strike against you. The one thing you need to realize is that your degree goes out the window once you're in the CEC and everybody can do the same jobs.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Good buddy of mine a year ahead of me at Shipwreck Tech was an Aerospace Engineer, who got NAMI whammied. He's a CEC LT now, and his degree would appear to have not slowed him down at all. Last I heard, he was working on a civil eng. masters using Navy TA and working on on follow on orders to one of the UCB's.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Last I heard, he was working on a civil eng. masters using Navy TA

It's probably a better deal than that. The CEC sends all career-minded officers to grad school under the fully-funded civilian institution program. It's only a year-long and you owe 3 years after that.

I'm currently at Arizona State on this program.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I have a friend from Univ. of Michigan who was Aerospace with me. He did ROTC and went CEC and loved it. He told me to check it out when he found out I was applying but it wasnt for me. He's a LTJG right now and as far as I know, still loves it.

kito

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. CEC sounds like a perfect gig for me, so as soon as I've given that FALANT a shot (gotta at least try to fly :icon_tong), I'll go talk to my local CEC ascensions officer and see about getting this process started.