• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhafeman

Do the Marines have their own aircraft carriers? I read somewhere awhile ago that they have 'smaller carriers' to carry supplies and launch helicopters and the Harrier from. Is this true? How about their FA-18's and A-6's. Do they just use the big Navy carriers?

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
The Marines don't own ships. They travel aboard Navy amphibs and carriers when attached to a MEU or airwing. Their own ships? I think not!

Brodie143

They do have some RHIBs and zodiacs though, albeit they are smaller than an F/A-18. Like the rest of us they have to rely on the surface Navy to get where they need to go. Fortunately there is always an Airedale in command.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Wait, I could have sworn that I saw a squadron of helos deploying on a rather large group of zociacs....

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You're thinking of LHD's/LHA's/etc. They are Navy ships, but the Marines launch their 46's/53's/AH & UH 1's/Harriers off them. They transport troops and equipment for amphibious operations. They also carry LCAC's (hovercraft), amphibious vehicles, etc. within their hull. They are really impressive ships and vital for the ARG (amphibious ready group).

Couple side notes: It takes 3-5 amphib. ships to transport a MEU and 12-15 to transport a MEF size MAGTF. (Courtesy of Expeditionary Ops pub from TBS! And I thought they wouldn't ever come in handy!)

Don't let these other guys discourage you. Good question --- compared to some!

Furloughed

Easy way to remember: "MARINE=My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment"
icon_smile_wink.gif
Sorry guys, had to do it...
tongue_125.gif

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
That's fine! As long as we can yell "TAXI" and you Navy boys come a runnin'. Hey, there's nothing wrong with carrying us and our crap where ever we want to go so long as we can kill s*** when we get there.

jrklr

how do the navy hornet squadrons and marine hornet squadrons differ when they're on the same carrier? do they have different missions or what?

Brodie143

The marines are supposted to do more air to ground and close air support for ground troops than the Navy guys. The Navy guys would get to do more air to air stuff then. In reality not much if any difference. Navy squadrons do both air to ground and air to air as well.

The reason the marines deploy is that there are not enough navy squadrons to fill every air wing. They are thinking about putting the marines in every air wing. Don't know if that got off the ground or not.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by jboomer

Courtesy of Expeditionary Ops pub from TBS! And I thought they wouldn't ever come in handy!)

What about packing paper???

Both MEU's I was on comprised of 3 ships: LHA, LPD and a LSD.

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I let the military pay for my moves -- they pack me, move me, and unpack me. A little too crisp to replace the paper rolls in the head too.

Brodie143

All squadrons are stationed ashore, they just deploy aboard a boat or to another country. I take it that is what you mean, but I was just clarifying. As for the marines, It depends on the squadron. I believe most deploy aboard either a carrier or helo-carrier. Some do stay ashore and deploy to places like okinawa (sp?).

Status
Not open for further replies.