• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier dimensions?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone have a ppt slide or document that has the dimensions at the boat? I'm looking for the distance between the wires, the actual landing area dimensions, and anything else that may pertain to it. I suppose I should say that I'm asking for a Nimitz class (non-Reagan). I'm just looking to compare it to a typical runway.

My search resulted in nada.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone have a ppt slide or document that has the dimensions at the boat? I'm looking for the distance between the wires, the actual landing area dimensions, and anything else that may pertain to it. I suppose I should say that I'm asking for a Nimitz class (non-Reagan). I'm just looking to compare it to a typical runway.

My search resulted in nada.

I think Nose has this memorized as should any LSO worth their salt......

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Dimensions are worthless.

Anyone who has trapped on a overcast moonless night in the Pacific know that carriers are light sensitive and shrink when it gets dark.:icon_wink Only explanation that makes sense for why the boat looks so small at night.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

This is not exactly straight out of LSO NATOPS, but it's certainly close...

If you fire up Google Earth and go to the carrier piers at Norfolk, CVN-75 is parked in all it's glory. If you use the Ruler tool to see how long the carrier is, it turns out to be 1092 feet. When you look up how long the HST is, the quoted figure works out to be (drum roll...): 1092 feet. So, Google Earth is giving us decently accurate measurements. When you use the same approach in the landing area, you can see that:

-Interval between wires: 40 feet
-Distance from 1 wire to ramp: 176 ft
-Landing area width: 80 ft
-Total length of landing area, from ramp to deck edge: 795 ft

For the non-believers, non-Google Earth users, and the intellectually lazy, PPT attached....

(I'm TDY and bored - idle hands are clearly the devil's work!)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's certainly an interesting method of getting some dimensions. The E-2 wingspan is 80'7" though. Nose, where are you?!?

Nose

pilot
Spy's numbers aren't bad. I can't spew them like I usta could, but when we targeted the 3 wire on GW (which would put the hook 1/2 way between 2 and 3 wires) it was a targeted hook touchdown point of 230 feet if I remember correctly. (That's measured from the round-down)

I'll dig up my gouge book and get back to you.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spy's numbers aren't bad. I can't spew them like I usta could, but when we targeted the 3 wire on GW (which would put the hook 1/2 way between 2 and 3 wires) it was a targeted hook touchdown point of 230 feet if I remember correctly. (That's measured from the round-down)

I'll dig up my gouge book and get back to you.

...and the all important hook-to-ramp (pick your favorite platform) would be?

Nose

pilot
...and the all important hook-to-ramp (pick your favorite platform) would be?

Nimitz class, target 3, 13.6 feet.

Doesn't matter what the platform is, because we target an ideal hook path, so if a Tomcat and a Hornet flew perfect centered ball passes on a 3.5 degree target 3 lens, their hooks would both pass 13.6 feet over the ramp and touch down 1/2way between 2 and 3.

Nose

pilot
That's certainly an interesting method of getting some dimensions. The E-2 wingspan is 80'7" though. Nose, where are you?!?

I think he measured the ladder part of the landing area, because 80ft sounds good. The E-2 fits because the foul lines are outside of the ladder lines...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I was not surprised to see him approach it that way since INTEL 101 includes mensuration. TARPS Intel Os and IS types as well as aircrews all learned how to do it virtually standing on their heads.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I think he measured the ladder part of the landing area, because 80ft sounds good. The E-2 fits because the foul lines are outside of the ladder lines...

My bad - I should have mentioned that I couldn't quite resolve the foul lines, so I went with the ladder lines. What look like the foul lines appear to be 120 ft wide at the 2-wire.

And from the "there's only one way to skin a cat" department, you can go play the same Google Earth games on the KUZNETSOV, the Russian's carrier.

Interval between wires: 39.9 ft
Distance from 1 wire to ramp: 183 ft
Landing area width: 81 ft (ladder lines - their equivalent - foul line-foul line looks to be 100ft)
Length of landing area: 658 ft

The only one materially different is the total length of the landing area; not a lot of margin between run-out and swimming, as this clip will attest:

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
These are the numbers referenced in the Aircraft Carrier Reference Data Manual (NAEC-MISC-06900) for Nimitz class carriers (minus Reagan) -- had some notes in my shooter gouge.

All numbers are measured from the ramp (add 10 ft to include round down area)

to 1 wire 169.9 ft
to 2 wire 209.9 ft
to 3 wire 250.4 ft
to barricade 273.2
to 4 wire 291.2 ft
to fwd angle 786 ft

LA is 90,515 (ft2)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dimensions are worthless.

Anyone who has trapped on a overcast moonless night in the Pacific know that carriers are light sensitive and shrink when it gets dark.:icon_wink Only explanation that makes sense for why the boat looks so small at night.

Pitching deck somehow invokes an accordian effect as well, making the deck shrink. Combine that with night and the carrier is as big as a FFG!

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
This is not exactly straight out of LSO NATOPS, but it's certainly close...

If you fire up Google Earth and go to the carrier piers at Norfolk, CVN-75 is parked in all it's glory. If you use the Ruler tool to see how long the carrier is, it turns out to be 1092 feet. When you look up how long the HST is, the quoted figure works out to be (drum roll...): 1092 feet. So, Google Earth is giving us decently accurate measurements. When you use the same approach in the landing area, you can see that:

-Interval between wires: 40 feet
-Distance from 1 wire to ramp: 176 ft
-Landing area width: 80 ft
-Total length of landing area, from ramp to deck edge: 795 ft

For the non-believers, non-Google Earth users, and the intellectually lazy, PPT attached....

(I'm TDY and bored - idle hands are clearly the devil's work!)

I stand in awe of the Power Point-Google Earth Geekery. I would give you +2 but you lost a point for not having the boat slide in from random directions, accompanied by the screeching tires sound clip.